Particularly well-recorded albums - post here

Discussion in 'Home Audio (Stereo Systems)' started by 2016aug29, Apr 21, 2017.

1. 2016aug29

2016aug29 Supporting Member

If you don't subscribe to Tidal already, I'd recommend their Hifi subscription which means CD quality, and now also MQA (hi rez). I think everything mentioned here is available on Tidal.

jaded_musician likes this.
  2. EdMan57

EdMan57 Member

3. iluvfender

iluvfender Member

I always thought the Fleetwood Mac albums from the Lyndsy Buckingham era sounded really good

4. diego

diego Member

5. McStrats

McStrats Member

I have this on vinyl and it is outstanding..

cratz2 and blowery like this.
  6. Dirtystranger

Dirtystranger Supporting Member

The Yardbirds
    "Roger the Engineer" 2-disc set. Re-mastered. The mono mix is great. Even has an improved "Stroll On" which actually has Beck and Page playing live together. The stereo mix is still suffering from too much 'verb.

7. Dirtystranger

Dirtystranger Supporting Member

Agreed

8. Z_Zoquis

Z_Zoquis Member

So over the past few months i’ve started listening to music again in a “serious” way (as in not just because I want to learn some guitar part). This past week, I took the plunge and got myself an actual “hi-fi” system - designed for apartment living. I’m now listening on a set of HiFi-man HE-400i headphones through a little Fiio Q1 dac/amp. With the Spotify “extreme” quality (320kbs) from my Iphone it sounds pretty frikkin stunning!

So what’s been the most awesome sounding song so far?

Like A Prayer by Madonna! Yup, that’s right. That recording sounds amazing. There’s a couple points in the song where it sounds like one member of the choir is standing right beside you.

Another good one is Higher Love by Winwood.

Tenth Avenue Freeze-out by Springsteen.

Blue/joni mitchel

Actually, here’s the little demo playlist i’ve Assembled...

Carey/Joni Mitchell
    Hate it Here/Wilco
    Like A Prayer/Madonna
    Hold On, Hold On/Neko Case
    Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out/Bruce Springsteen
    Got The Time/Joe Jackson
    Immigrant Song/Led Zeppelin - that apocalyptic wash of tremolo-drenched electric guitar at the beginning of each verse! I’m like the people in those David Blaine shows every single time - holy **** what’s goin on heeeeeeeeeere?! :D
    Higher Love/Steve Winwood
    Sexual Healing/Marvin Gaye

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    jaded_musician likes this.
  9. paulitk

paulitk Member

Albums on vinyl that have blown me away lately

Big Star: #1 Album
    Matthew Sweet: Girlfriend
    Radiohead: OK Computer (the new remaster OKNOTOK 20th anniversary release, remastered from the analog tapes, the older vinyl version was too compressed)
    David Bowie: Hunky Dory
    Beck: Odelay

10. 2016aug29

Herbie Hancock - The Imagine Project

Listening to it right now, for the first time. Sounds really, really good.

11. mark123

mark123 Member

The first CD I ever bought for my first CD player as a kid 34 years ago is still one of my standards to test gear with:
    Yes - 90125

MkIII Renegade likes this.
  12. jawajt

jawajt Member

Great list! I agree on most of these, especially OKNOTOK. That sounds phenomenal.

Some other great sounding vinyl records I'd recommend:

The MoFi version of Beck's "Sea Change". It's no longer in print. But if you find one at a decent price, it's worth it. That being said, I've heard the recent DMM remaster is really good.

Sarah Jarosz-Undercurrent

Maxwell-blackSUMMERS'night

Jason Isbell-Southeastern

Foo Fighters-Wasting Light

paulitk likes this.
  13. paulitk

paulitk Member

I actually just bought a copy of Sea Change from my buddy. Haven’t had a chance to put it on yet. Love that album.

jawajt likes this.
  14. jkendrick

jkendrick Supporting Member

The Wall is interesting to me. The individual instruments all have great tone, but the overall final product sounds like it’s being playing in a cardboard box. There’s something muffled and just not present about to to me.

Edit: I got curious and did some Googling. It seems there are some versions that are muddy, but others that are pristine. Can anyone direct me to a specific version of Wall that has the best overall sound?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  15. Mike R.

Mike R. Supporting Member

Marillion: Brave
    Marillion: F.E.A.R.

16. 2016aug29

Lizz Wright - Grace
    Blues/soul/gospel

Just discovered this artist. Great "black" voice. The recording is top notch. Love the opening track, Barley:

17. 2016aug29

Bendik Hofseth (sax), Paolo Vinaccia (drums), Jacob Young (guitar, banjo) - Rathkes gate 12:21:58
    Jazz

[​IMG]

It's sparse and moody, but the space! Oh, the space! Turn this up a little on a decent system, and these guys are right in front of you. Awesome stuff.

18. MkIII Renegade

MkIII Renegade Member

Note: I base mine on the actual recordings I've heard, which in some cases may have already been remastered and were obviously transferred to CD in many cases. But the fundamental recording of the music is unchanged. You can record something with the best quality possible but mix it poorly initially (especially if limited by the available media)----you could give a recorded album to a 3 different producers to complete and get vastly different results.

Porcupine Tree - In Absentia
    Anything of their albums beyond the first few really. After all, they have a secret weapon---Steve Wilson!

Eric Johnson - Ah Via Musicom and Venus Isle
    You can tell he was a complete basket case trying to get everything perfect for these albums. I think he did it!

Chris Isaak - Heart Shaped World
    Think about the feel of Wicked Game, Blue Spanish Sky......modern timeless....

AC/DC - Back in Black
    The blueprint for everything they've done since. But there is no escaping it is perfection of their formula.

Yes - 90125, the state of the art when released, still sounds very modern!
    Yes - Going for the One (the song Awaken is staggeringly PERFECT artistically, compositionally, and from an engineering standpoint.....the most glorious cathedral keys ever recorded by Man)

Steely Dan - Most anything from their classic era

Dream Theater - Black Clouds.....
    Probably DT's Zenith, and the last with Portnoy. Haven't been the same without him. Petrucci's low B string never sounded better.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    jawajt likes this.
  19. jawajt

jawajt Member

Agree on almost all of these, especially Heart Shaped World and Ah Via Musicom. I just picked up a fantastic reissue of Ah Via Musicom, on vinyl. Sounds phenomenal.

20. MkIII Renegade

MkIII Renegade Member

What's the difference between a hotshot guitarist and an icon? Tone. It has to sound fantastic for you to be a legend. Notes alone are not enough.

To this day, I still often play Trademark as my warmup tune. It's like meditation.

jawajt likes this.