1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

"Parting out" a guitar.....

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by homerayvaughan, Jul 26, 2006.

1. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Member

Ok, I have been meaning to post this for a while, but didn't know exactly how I wanted to phrase it. I haven't seen this talked about much. I'll just put this out there; how do you feel about people who "part out" a vintage guitar, as opposed to selling it whole? I'm not looking for the "it's your guitar, do what you want" responses. I know that if it's yours you can do what you want with it. But how does it make you feel? In searching e bay, you'll find many dealers or individuals who frequently will buy a 50's-60's Strat and even state it in the add, and procede to sell it off piece by piece. :mad:

2. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

I do NOT like the practice, especially when I see a perfectly good 175 or other archtop parted out so that some clown can pretend that he has a "real" burst.

3. NuSkoolTone

NuSkoolTone Member

Depends. If it's a collectable guitar of vintage or value I think the guitar should retain it's "soul" and remain whole. However, if it's a guitar that is a dime o' dozen guitar that has depreciated vastly and can command much more in peices, I see no problem with it.

4. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

I don't like the practice.

I look at "vintage" guitars as history you can own, enjoy them and then you can pass it on.

Parting out a basket case guitar, that's cool. If it's been seriously damaged or altered to the point it really isn't what it is... yeah.

Think of it like a "vintage" car. Parting out the pieces in a junkyard is cool. Dismantling a 90% stock, working, drivable, presentable "vintage" car to sell it is kind of silly. But you'll get money for it.:(

5. michaelprice83

michaelprice83 Member

I thank GOD every day for people parting out their nice ass guitars. I have some great EJ necks and also a '65 nos round lam neck. If it wasn't for this "practice" I'd have to buy the whole guitar to get the part I like........

6. Rock Johnson

Rock Johnson Member

As stated before, if the guitar is unplayable, I don't have a problem with it.

I really hate seeing new guits parted out, like the EJ strats on the 'bay.

7. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Member

Well, I was specifically posting this with "vintage" pieces in mind. While the EJ strats are nice, they are a guitar that's currently still in production. I would actually have no problem with parting out just about any current production guitar, even an expensive relic (I personally have parted out an SRV strat). I pretty much agree with what's been said so far, but I am kind of suprised by the lack of responses.

Here's my dilema; I have had a lot of unforseen expenses the last month, about $3000, and I need to come up with cash. I just bought a house in April, so money was a little tighter to start with. I have sold roughly $1400 of gear over the last few weeks, but it's getting to the point where I am seriously considering selling one of my old strats (It's a '64 strat. It's been refinished & refretted. The parts that I can confirm are not original are the tuners, pickguard).

Now, I hate to see people parting out an old guitar, but if it means I can sell it 1) quicker and 2) for more, would I be better off?

If the guitar was all original (including finsih), I would not even consider it.

I am not 100% sure that I am going to sell it at all, but I wanted to through it out there to see what you all thought.

8. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

I would part out that guitar since it's not original I would guess part by part you would do better. I'll take the neck! :)

9. justabubba

justabubba Member

why should anyone else be justified in concerning themselves with what you do with your guitar? do whatever is best for you. if it is that important to anyone else for you not to part it out, then let them buy it at your price, and only then can they expect to influence the outcome.

10. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

I hate their guts with a passion.

11. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Member

Suckers? Please explain...

If one has a vintage guitar that you can increase the value of it by replacing a non original part with an original part, why would they be a sucker?

I bought a '68 rosewood strat neck for $125 in the late 80's, wonder what it's worth now?

12. 58gasman

58gasman Member

I wonder why what somebody does with their own property is a such a contentous issue. If the money is there what do you expect? Real life intrudes on these passions sometimes and people may need money for college tuition, mortgages, medical bills, etc at the same time the purpose of any business is to make money. If parting out a guitar will bring more money than selling the guitar intact thats pretty much up to the owner.

13. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

This isn't exactly a new practice, I'm sure we all know.

For YEARS people have been 're-vintaging' Fender guitars from the 50's and 60's. It used to be that guitar repair places, and repair people in general had lots of 50's and 60's parts around their shops from mods or restorations they'd done for customers 'back then.'

People in the 60's were putting PAF p/u's on Teles 'cuz they liked the feel of a Tele, but the sound of a Les Paul, so they modded 60's Teles to get that sound. Fender didn't make any Teles with PAF's, and there were no after market p/u manufacturers until the '70's really, so some desperate folks 'did what they had to do' to come up with their 'dream guitars'. Nobody would do that NOW, but then, people just thought those guitars were just old - 'Vintage' didn't really happen 'til the '70's.

Us Gear Queers found those old "Franken-Teles", bought old pickups and bridges and pots and saddles and tuners and pickguards, and "re-vintaged" them - made them period correct. I have a '66 'parts' Tele. It has 3 of one kind of '60's tuners, and 3 of another kind of '60's tuners, 1 pickup from the early '60's and one from the later '60's.

Parting out a stock vintage insturment is a real shame and shouldn't be done by anybody. Parting out a 'parts' guitar .... that's not necessarily so bad, IMHO.

Dana O.

14. gregc

gregc Member

I really don't care. I mean, I love vintage guitars. However, when I see some guy partig out one I just shrug and move on. Bottom line, it's wood n' steel; just a gee-tar.

15. Jack The Riffer

Jack The Riffer Member

Whereare they getting the EJ parts??? Are they buying them and parting out?

16. snarkle

snarkle Member

Parting out a vintage guitar is a horrible, horrible, horrible idea. That said, I'm two pickups and a pickguard short of a "stock" 1964 Stratocaster in the always desirable Olympic white finish, so if you go ahead with this heinous crime, do let me know...

17. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

a lot of dough. Next question :D

18. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Member

Thanks for that.

:AOK

19. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Member

yep

20. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Member

Yes it is, but it's not:D

It's not a Mexican reissue I can run down to GC and pluck any of 20 or so off the wall

It's a guitar that I won't soon be able to afford again, thus the dilema.

I don't even know how to begin pricing it, either whole or by the piece. The parts I see on e bay rarely sell, because people put such high starting prices they get no bids. I'll look at a neck for example and it may be a rosewood neck from 62, and all depending on if the fretsl, tuners, finish, decal, extra holes, clay dots, neck date are in tact and or original, the price will flucuate up to $1000.

BTW, for anyone interested, I posted pics of my two strats on the "Post your pre cbs strat" thread. The one I am debating on is the blue one.