• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Parting out old or interesting guitars on auction sites

xpatico

Hey All, (Intentionally ambiguous)
Just ran across a listing for a really cool old guitar body/neck combo(set neck) for auction. I have been looking for something like it as a project for some months. Upon further looking came across a list of components obviously stripped from the original guitar. It really pissed me off having to bid on a dozen different auctions where in another circumstance could have bid on just one item. Anyone else run into this problem? How do you manage?
Rob

treeofpain

Gold Supporting Member
It's not a problem.

Someone had a guitar and figured out that they would make more money parting it out than selling it as a unit. And they were willing to do the extra work of disassembling it and running all of those auctions to get the extra money.

I don't see a problem as long as it is not some rare item. Even then, they own it and can do what they like.

Hecube

It depends on how you approach it.

I found last year a '59 Gibson Melody Maker body on eBay. It was obvious the seller had stripped it and was selling it piece by piece. I just bought the body and built myself an awesome hot-rod.

raymeedc

It depends on how you approach it.

I found last year a '59 Gibson Melody Maker body on eBay. It was obvious the seller had stripped it and was selling it piece by piece. I just bought the body and built myself an awesome hot-rod.

My kind of guitar..... great job. What brand is the chrome P90?

kenneth

Hey All, (Intentionally ambiguous)
Just ran across a listing for a really cool old guitar body/neck combo(set neck) for auction. I have been looking for something like it as a project for some months. Upon further looking came across a list of components obviously stripped from the original guitar. It really pissed me off having to bid on a dozen different auctions where in another circumstance could have bid on just one item. Anyone else run into this problem? How do you manage?
Rob
Yeah, this bugs me too. I just decide if it is worth it to me to bid on all the parts separately, and so far the answer has been "NO". Then I go about my day as normal, and my coffee still tastes the same as before.

tylerfreak

Silver Supporting Member
Simple, contact the seller, tell him that you are interested in the whole and ask him what kind of deal he could do on the lot.

Good luck

Hecube

That's what I was wondering about. Can you tell me where I might find those covers?
You wouldn't believe the quest I had with this cover. I absolutely wanted a metallic P90 cover (not chromed plastic). I searched high and low and finally settled for a plastic chrome cover which I bought from Greasy Groove (http://www.greasygroove.com/proddetail.php?prod=0923-PU-P-C-P-MI).

A few days after I made the order, I actually found a manufacturer in Germany who makes real metal P90 covers... :bonk

I stayed with the plastic cover anyway (for the time being).

Here's the link for the german manufacturer:

wait... I lost it...

Trending Topics

Top Bottom