Parting up a vintage guitar for profit?

dreamspace

If you had a perfectly fine sounding and playing Strat (or something), but you got considerably more for it as parts, what would you do?

dancehall

I have a hard time believing you'd make more money by parting out a desirable vintage guitar, and anyway I'd consider it a crime against art. Now if by "vintage" you mean 1992 or whatever people are applying the term to these days, I'd have no problem splitting it up.

stevieboy

Clouds yell at me
Gold Supporting Member
It's my guitar and I can do what I want with it and blah blah blah.

But I'd still suck if I did that to a truly classic vintage guitar.

treeofpain

Gold Supporting Member
It is up to you - it's your guitar.

I think it's sad when people part out an all original vintage instrument (ie: pre-1970 Stratocasters). It's not an issue for me of the guitar has been irreversibly modded, like if you have a 64 strat with a Floyd Rose trem and you decide to sell the original pickups. That can actually help someone else restore their guitar back to stock, and your Floyd-equipped guitar can never be original again.

I have a hard time believing you'd make more money by parting out a desirable vintage guitar, and anyway I'd consider it a crime against art. Now if by "vintage" you mean 1992 or whatever people are applying the term to these days, I'd have no problem splitting it up.
This. Its like tearing up a beautiful, remote beach to put in a resort. Theres only so many left, and the beauty is gone.

aparnell

I had an Olympic white 59 strat that got parted out after I traded it for a different strat. So sad!

I don't even like to see modern guitars get parted out.
In this day and age you can buy a guitar with the specs you want.
you don't need to take apart 3-4 different guitars to get it.
Someday a 92 strat will be a 50 year old guitar and we might wish we had left them alone.

Trending Topics