Partscaster assembly

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Hydesg, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Hydesg

Hydesg Member

hey guys, a well known tech / luthier around my area has quoted $400 to assemble a partscaster (parts not included)

do you think it is a fair price to pay?
    the parts works out to be about $1000.

Should I just assemble it myself and gain a new experience?

2. Mark Ray

Mark Ray We're Jammin' Gold Supporting Member

My local tech has charged me $200 for the 2 I've had done. $400 seems a bit steep.

3. JaySwear

JaySwear Member

Seems expensive. I've assembled 3 and about to start my 4th. I say do it yourself! The only things I can't or won't do would be making the parts and painting them. The assembly itself isn't bad at all if you have a screwdriver, a soldering iron, and a hand drill.

4. Hydesg

Hydesg Member

Did you have to drill the tremolo claw holes for a stratocaster body?

5. snowblind56

snowblind56 Member

From my experience, tech's usually charge a bench rate of about $60/hr. For $400, he is basically saying that it is going to take him over 6 hours to do. 6 hours would be ridiculous, unless the neck is in dire need of a fret leveling. Even then, it seems a little high. $200 + or - a little seems fair.

6. bumblefingers

bumblefingers Member

I had one done recently. Purchased a bare body online. The neck pocket needed rework, routing on rear, etc. ended up costing me over $400. Think he had close to 10 hours in the thing. If your body is from a production guitar or a reputable supplier I don't see any reason you couldn't do it yourself.

7. Wake911

Wake911 Member

Do it yourself

and if you can't make it perfect at the end, take it to tech for full set-up $100 roughly, and you'll be good to go with exprereince and a tech certified guitar at the end....that's what i did on my first one.....i may have been lucky that i had a perfect neck joint, that would be the only thing to scare me away if i had too many issues with that.

8. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

Read up, ask a lot of questions, watch a lot of youtube videos, and do as much as you can yourself. It's fun, and it's not rocket science.

9. johnfv

johnfv Member

Depends on the body. Some Strat bodies are pre-drilled (Warmoth for example), I have seen others that are not. It's pretty easy to drill with a Dremel right angle attachment...

I do the assembly and rough setup myself but leave it to my tech for the final setup (fret mill, nut slot adjustment, etc.).

10. bluesking55

bluesking55 Supporting Member

My repair guy taught me alot over the years. Im with the person who said if its from a production guitar etc, do it urself

11. phisher422

phisher422 Member

I think I ended up paying just about $350 for complete assembly/setup

It's funny, they where charging me for stupid things that I could have easily done myself

Installing strap buttons= $20
    Putting on the strings= $5

I guess I'll know next time....

12. sliberty

sliberty Member

My experience is with Tele's.

I paid $180 to have the nut cut/shaped/slotted/installed, fret dress, neck installation, and setup. I had already done all of the body-related work (installed pickguard, hardware, electronics). I would say $300 to do everything is the most it should cost.

13. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

just buy a $5 screwdriver and do it yourself. Then pay a tech to set it up for maybe $100.

14. dnauhei

dnauhei Member

I paid $240 in Seattle. $400 is too high.

15. LJOHNS

LJOHNS Member

If you can turn a screwdriver you can do it yourself. Its really not that hard. I would only take it to a tech for a fret dress and final set up.

16. Cody Anchor

Cody Anchor Member

Depends on the extent of the work required. Are the frets already installed? Is the body routed? Is the headstock shaped? There's to many variables to answer this question without more info.

17. kleydj13

kleydj13 Member

I would say it would be worth giving it a shot on your own. If you run into problems you can always run back to him to finish the job. Really though, getting all the major parts into place isn't that hard. It probably would be worth bringing it in to get it setup in the end anyways.

18. Wiz-ski

Wiz-ski Member

Do it yourself and then pay for a good set up...done.

19. 19181911

19181911 Senior Member

between tgp and tdpri, there is a wealth of set-up info at your fingertips. same with tech support along the way.

The neck may be just fine without a level and crown K.I.S.S. (keep it super simple)

I think that with all the tutorials at frettech.com You really need to peruse Robs website!!!

The tutorials from Rob DiStefano, Ron Kirn, and Jack Wells among others you will have no problems.

Terry Downs has a soldering tutorial

Google is your friend.

20. gulliver

gulliver Member

Where do you live?

Dang, Pete Schmidt in Lockport , NY charged me $30 with neck shim and repairs to stripped bridge threads (over and above a $50 full set up). Quite a price variation there, and he's the best in the area.