Partscaster builders-who is your neck builder of choice?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Blueshound, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Laganlad

Laganlad Supporting Member

3 musikraft necks

2. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Member

I’ve built about a dozen so far, most with Musikraft necks. I’ve been very pleased with them, right out of the box.

3. bluesoul

bluesoul Gold Supporting Member

A few Musikraft necks, a couple USGC...a hand full of warmoth....and maybe about 10 ALLparts necks....several Fender necks. I really don't have a preference....all have been good. A little fret work is sometimes required. The important thing for me is getting necks with a profile, fret size and radius that I like....which is not hard to do! Lots of good choices exist!

4. ripgtr

ripgtr Member

I got a musikraft tele neck, one of the blackguard ones. Put it on the guitar and started playing it. After a couple years I took it to my fret guy and yea, it plays better now, but it played pretty good out of the box. Good enough I was gigging it like that. So, yea, they do good work.

For the OP, I have probably 1/2 dozen warmoth necks around here, but all were bought in the 90s. They made great stuff back then, my main gig strat is a warmoth neck and I love it. I assume from what I heard they also still make good stuff.

dex17 likes this.
  5. big mike

big mike David Grissom Wannabee Gold Supporting Member

Yeah that is a good Allparts neck.

I have Allparts and Warmoth and have been happy. Recently got to play a musikraft that was great

Just know what specs you want

GuitarsFromMars likes this.
  6. big mike

big mike David Grissom Wannabee Gold Supporting Member

I’d kill for a 90s standard thin ebony board like I sold on my b bender tele years ago. Freakin perfect

Quality is still good but the shape changed

ripgtr likes this.
  7. KGWagner

KGWagner Member

I'm a huge fan of Warmoth necks. High quality, consistent, and dimensionally correct, plus you have an extraordinary selection of hardwoods to choose from. I've had some USACG necks, but not recently, and I understand there's been some changes there that might be less than desirable for the custom builder. But, the ones I've had have all been very good parts. Of course, the occasional Musikraft part comes through, and they're nice enough, but usually not the first choice. I'm pretty sure Allparts doesn't make necks; they're distributing someone else's, I don't know who. Same with StewMac. I've never gotten a neck from anybody that didn't need at least some amount of attention. There's just no way anybody can anticipate where/how a neck is going to be used, so they have to leave some things for the setup guy to finish off. Certainly the nut, and usually the frets.

smallbutmighty likes this.
  8. JJ321

JJ321 Member

I have three Warmoth necks that are great, but my favorite is a Musikraft that is on my #1 guitar. I don't think that you could go wrong with either one.

9. jimpridx

jimpridx Silver Supporting Member

I've assembled about eight or nine partscasters along with building several of our own guitars while using a variety of Warmoth, USACG, Musikraft and BGP necks, and my favorites have been USACG (Tommy era) and BGP. BGP is relatively new on the scene compared to the others, but I've been very happy with the two I've tried so far. Of all of the necks I've tried, only a Warmoth with a double-action truss rod didn't do it for me. It just sounded lifeless on any body that I tried it on. That's more of a knock against double-action truss rods than it is against Warmoth. All but the one have been great necks, though.

10. Stratburst70

Stratburst70 Member

I have bought 4 Warmoth and two Musikraft necks (finished by MJT). All were excellent.

11. egregion

egregion Member

Did the warmoths require any extra work or were you pretty much able to plug and play?

12. Ron Kirn

Ron Kirn Gold Supporting Member Vendor

that would depend on you and how you want the guitar set-up... the higher you like the action, the more forgiving the neck will be, but if you want the lightning fast action, a level and crown will be required on any aftermarket neck you purchase.

rk

jklotz, egregion and PedalFreak like this.
  13. Rich b in tempe

Rich b in tempe Member

I recently got a pretty Slamin neck from DAN AT SOUND GUITAR WORKS-(formerly best guitar parts), it’s a 24 3/4 conversion, lefthanded, Killer Soft “V”, check em out!! I’m right now in the middle of ordering another roasted flame U-1(tele style), im expecting it to be killer!!