Partscaster, were you satisfied?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by it's been said, Jun 8, 2008.

Was your Parstcaster's sound what you hoped for?

1. Yes

2. No

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. it's been said

it's been said Member

pretty simple poll, when you made/played a Partscaster were you or were you not happy with the result. did it sing out unplugged and sound great?

edit:
    Oh and maybe you could mention where you got your parts from

2. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

I wasn't happy with a few of them. Strats are funny and stuff can look good on paper but you don't know if it will fly until it's finished. I've played others too even done by lutheirs. mehhh...

3. BDUNN

BDUNN Supporting Member

I was eventually happy... it took over two years though. Bad necks, wrong pickups etc.. With all of the money I have spent trying to come up with the ultimate partocaster I could have bought the fender custom shop that I originally tried to copy. If I had to do it all over again I would just buy a finished guitar.

parts came from:
    bodies:
    relicmaster.com (all parts)
    genuine fender body (ebay)
    custom shop body (eddievegas.com)
    necks:
    musikraft (first one was a complete dog... second one was good)
    hardware:
    callaham
    relicmaster.com
    pickups:
    acme
    callaham

too much money... but it was fun and I learned a lot.

4. Rockinrob86

Rockinrob86 Supporting Member

1st try, I was happy. Neck was from Musicraft (Maple w/ lam maple fingerboard, big headstock, hugely thick backside, 7.25 radius, nitro) black strat body from guitar mill, all fender vintage style parts(steel block on the bridge, "F" label tuners, 250k pots, orange drop cap, etc. It has fender custom shop 69 pickups, and it sounds great. It is a mellow darker sounding strat, with a great midrange, and works wonders with a fuzz or through a raging amp. Nails the late era hendrix sounds. I dont like the typical SRV strat tone, and it doesnt do that, so I am happy. Plus, it plays wonderfully! It is my new favorite couch guitar.

skypeace likes this.
  5. IndianScout

IndianScout Member

mine came out exactly as I wanted, and the sound was better than I figured it would be..

http://i30.tinypic.com/2d1sq3m.jpg

fender licensed ash body and birds eye maple neck

wilkinson bridge,
    Sperzel Locking TunersFender
    noiseless neck, middle
    JB Jr bridge
    500k pots

plays as good as it looks, I've gigged with it since I got her together and setup

Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
    skypeace likes this.
  6. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

Mine is great...I used a cij body/cij neck, US52 hardware and a fralin pickup (esquire)

7. johnboggs

johnboggs Member

I'm quite happy with mine with the following exceptions:

1. It's too heavy (I may relpace it with a thinline body.)
    2. The GFS Fatbody bridge pickup doesn't seem hot enough relative to the neck pickup.

Allparts '62 Custom tele reissue body (white, double-bound in black)
    Musikraft flame maple fat neck, 1 11/16" nut, 6105 frets
    Sperzel locking tuners
    Joe Barden vintage bridge
    Acme Guitar Works 4-way tele wiring kit and knobs
    Stew-Mac control plat, neck plate, ElectroSocket jack cup, tortoise pickguard
    GFS Fatbody neck and bridge pickups
    Dunlop StrapLoks

8. bigroy

bigroy Member

USACG body
    Allparts V-neck
    rio grande big bottoms
    fender bridge and tuners.

It suits me just fine...
    [​IMG]

9. 9-Pin

9-Pin Member

I am happy with mine. I got the body on ebay and the neck, pickups, and some hardware from one of Mojocaster's "clean out the parts bin" sell offs. The bridge is a wilkinson compensated one I got off of ebay. The only complaints I have is that the bridge mounting holes weren't drilled perfectly straight which led to some issues when mounting the bridge, and the body is a little on the heavy side, but not uncomfortably so. I amy experiment with some pickups in the future.

10. googoobaby

googoobaby Member

My Tele looked and felt great, but it was too whiny sounding for me. Given the quality pickups in it, it was my taste (or lack thereof) and not their fault. On the other hand, I have someone else's partscaster that's awesome that I'll never ever sell.

11. Tele71

Tele71 Gold Supporting Member

I built this one. All the parts I used came from the emporium except the neck, Warwouth, and the pickups, Lollar CC neck and custom wound bridge @ 5.9 ohms. I've since switched to a Bill Lawrence L250 in the bridge which I really like, great pick up. I'm not too sure about the CC pick up as it is over powering but it looks to cool to change.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My next build is an esquire and I'll be using a Don Mare roy wrap for that. Playability and sound of the coppercaster is way beyond what I expected. A wonderful guitar to play. =)

12. gls500

gls500 Supporting Member

3 guitars, and 100% happy.

-Brian Poe bodies
    -USACG necks
    -Mark Jenny nitro finish
    -Callaham hardware
    -Lollar or Hamel pickups.

Weren't cheap, but well worth it.

skypeace likes this.
  13. avincent52`

avincent52` Member

Much to be said for good parts

USACG necks and bodies.
    Mark Jenny finishes
    Lollar/Fralin pickups
    Callaham/Fender/Glendale hardware
    and pro assembly/setup by Rob DiStefano.

best
    Allen

14. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

I've currently got two parts Teles and one more in the works.

The completed ones both use lightweight swamp ash bodies... one is from Musikraft and is one-piece, and very light... just over 3 pounds. The other is a little heavier, and I'm not sure where it originated. It was already on a parts guitar that I bought from Tom Pierce (mr. coffee).

My CC Monster
    • ONE-PIECE Swamp ash body (Musikraft), about 3.25 pounds
    • Exquisitely thin Mary Kaye nitro, done by Rich Rice
    • Musikraft boatneck of solid African Kingwood (like rosewood)
    • 6105 Frets
    • Black aged Callaham Bakelite Guard
    • Callaham Bridge and compensated saddles
    • Pete Biltoft's amazing Charlie Christian neck pickup
    • Pete Biltoft's also amazing Tele Bridge pickup wound to match the CC
    • Reversed control plate
    • Electrosocket Jack
    • Klusons
    My Inca Silver Beast
    • Swamp ash body, about 3.5 pounds (origin unknown)
    • Aged Inca Silver (done by Mark Jenny) over a thin translucent blonde nitro
    • Musikraft boatneck of solid African Kingwood (like rosewood)
    • 6105 Frets
    • Aged Single Ply White Guard
    • Stock Fender bridgeplate and 3-barrel saddles
    • Don Mare's extraordinary Roy Nichols wind pickups
    • Reversed control plate
    • Electrosocket Jack
    • Vintage-tyle Gotoh Staggered Tuners

[​IMG]

Obviously, a LOT of the playability comes from the setup... and these are setup perfectly for my playing style. But the selection and combination of woods, pickups, etc., all play heavily into the mix. Both guitars are very resonant -- both unplugged and plugged-in -- and both compare favorably to anything I've owned including vintage pieces, guitars from the Fender Custom Shop, Tom Anderson, and even a Scott Lentz tele that I used to own.

The "next" up "in the works" is a lightweight pine body (origin unknown), with an aged copper finish also my Mark Jenny, and a five-hole BWB guard... This one will have a Musikraft maple neck with a rosewood board, with a slightly aged nitro finish by me, and 6105s. Pickups will be a Duncan Antiquity in the bridge and a TV Jones Magnatron in the neck. Should be ready to roll in a week or two, and I'll post a report and some pictures then.

For the most part, I try to buy parts and components "used", wherever I can. Someone ALWAYS has something for sale here. LOL! Of course, it's not always possible, especially with necks and bodies, but I do keep my eyes on the Emporium, eBay, the TDPRI, and the WeberVST boards, fairly regularly, and have gotten some great scores from my efforts.

skypeace likes this.
  15. mvd18969

mvd18969 Member

It took nearly 20 years, but NOW I'm happy with it. Back in '88, I wanted a custom metal shredder. I bought a pre-finished candy red DiMarzio body routed for a single HB (I've since had it routed for a neck HB and 3 way switch with a mini coil tap switch as well), a Chandler reverse Jackson style new w/ rosewood fingerboard, Gold original Floyd Rose trem, Schaller tuners, Seymour duncan SH6 distortion pickup. I bought all the parts and had a local luthier do the assembly and setup. It sounded nice but played lousy. After numerous attempts to get it playing better, I gave up and it sat in the case for 15 years.
    I was introduced to another local luthier so I dug it out and gave it to him. Took a lot of work and $$$, but now plays great. I've since upgraded to an additional pickup and selector switch for more versatility.
    Bottom line, most guys I know that have partscasters built are usually not happy w/ the end result and either shell out a lot of dough to correct it or cut their losses and dump it. I definitely could have bought a custom hi end Jackson for all the money I spent.

16. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

The Tele's are partscasters. I'm not disappointed in any of them and am collecting parts for a Strat.

[​IMG]

17. daddyo

daddyo Guest

My first was my Spruce topped chambered ash Tele. Everything on it is great except that I wanted the neck pup to do more than a trad Tele. It got decent Tele jazz tunes but I wanted more - I had an ES 335 tone in my head - so I went to a SD minibucker, then a Seth Lover, then a VVG HCC. I am happy with the VCC but realize my expectations were unrealistic.

With more experience, I built my strat which is everythin I desired in a strat. The sound is just a good strat - the heavens don't open up - grown men don't weep.

I enjoy the whole process of the partsocaster: imagining it; planning it; ordering the parts; the finishing, set-up, completion. Even though I am ahead financially vs buying a complete guitar, but I'd do it regardless for the fun.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

skypeace likes this.
  18. AndrewSimon

AndrewSimon Member

It took a while but eventually I got my dream Strat.
    I think most people are lured in by the possible savings and that might work if you are lucky, if not it might cost you $$$ to get there.
    I also had a lot of help from my guitar tech, otherwise I would be probably still experimenting.
    The final result is the sum of all the parts, you can do everything right but have one little detail ruin everything.
    My tech added a tinny wood strip to the neck pocket so that the neck sits in there by force (I can hold the guitar by the neck even when the neck screws are not attached to the guitar and it will hold the body).
    This tinny detail made a huge difference in tone and sustain.

:rolleyes:

19. GtrDr

GtrDr Member

To me there is no other way to do it. I am a southpaw & the selection is thin. I just order up the neck & body to my specs, select the best parts & assemble it. I always get exactly what I want this way. I have had great luck with USACG & Warmoth. I ordered a neck from Musikcraft one time & it was a terrible experience.

skypeace likes this.
  20. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

Best move I ever made, but VERY RISKY!

I think the ONLY thing that helped me keep it cost effective was to make buying cheap/used parts a goal. Could have easily run my $1500, but it ran me $400 - 500 for an amazing guitar.

Everyone I know with a good budget one, bought them DIRT CHEAP! The people I know who paid a ton might have been better served going to Fender or Suhr lol