Partsocaster builders, body weight question.

jiml

Silver Supporting Member
I'm assembling parts for a vintage 50's strat build. I'd like to keep the weight of the guitar manageable (around 7 lbs). Anyone have any idea how much the body should weigh to keep the weight down? I have a line on a few bodies that weigh around 4 lbs.

Mike9

Silver Supporting Member
All wood - and hence all bodies are different. I've had both swamp ash and alder bodies that weighed under 4lbs and the same that weighed around the 5lb. mark. You just gotta ask the seller. Hollow bodies are interesting, but I prefer a light weight swamp ash body to one any day - that and a nice 1-piece maple neck. ;)

jiml

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks guys!

I've built maple/swamp ash and alder/maple/rosewood. I'm trying alder/maple now. I have a neck in the works and am looking for a nice alder body. Been a while since I built something, finding all of the pieces is fun!

K-Line

Vendor
Alder is hard to get light. The best way is USACG. Tommy is awesome at getting light alder. My rule of thumb is if you are using a med-c neck, regular trim or hardtail, that all weighs about 3 lbs 5 ozs. I took all the parts one time and weighed them in a bucket. So if you want 7lbs, do the math. Maybe like 3-8 to 3-10 but you will pay a premium for that weight in alder. Bestguitarparts.com is another source if you can ever get them to respond. Go to Tommy at USACG and lay out the dough, you will not regret it.

jiml

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks Chris.

I'm putting an Allparts Fat Back maple neck on it, so that will weigh more I suspect.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom