Partsocaster question: Neck heel too big?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jiml, Feb 8, 2008.

1. jiml

jiml Silver Supporting Member

Got an Allparts SMNF-Fat and an older Fender CS replacement body for a partsocaster build. I "dry fit" the neck into the body today, and it fits nice and tight. BUT, it looks like the heel is a bit too tall, as the fretboard sits about 1/2" to 3/4" above the body. You can definately see 3/4's of the adjustment screw. I popped the pickguard on, and it covers it a little, but it still looks a bit too tall for me. I'm not sure if the bridge will raise the strings tall enough to play, I could only "eyeball" it when I put it in the body.

Anyone have similar experiences? I don't want to mess with the pocket of the body, maybe I need to shave the heel a bit? I'm gonna snap some pix Monday, but any comments will be appreciated!

2. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Something is out of spec. I'd take measurements and correct the offending piece, unless I wanted high strings, which I actually rather like:eek:

3. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

I had an Allparts Fat neck on my CS ('69 relic) strat body a couple months ago, and it lined up so well, I didn't have to touch the saddles compared to the original neck and setup. So something's off.

4. jiml

jiml Silver Supporting Member

Yeah, I like higher action too. I'm gonna take some measurements on Monday, all the parts are at work..

5. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

That seems to be the "hidden" measurement that no one takes into account. On my partscaster the original neck was at least 1/8" taller than the replacement neck and everything was cranked way high at the bridge to get it playable, but it played pretty nice (for a medicore guitar).
    I popped in the replacement that was less tall and it fit well, but I couldn't get it to play well... weird. The original is back on and I'm selling it but saddles are cranked high again.

6. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Shimming the neck pocket can correct some the symptoms (high or low saddles) but is not a cure.