"pass...": advertising turn-offs (non-starter edition)

frijoleghost

Silver Supporting Member
i read the guitar and amp for sale ads here several times a day (it's a habit/addiction)

there are a few things that, if i spot them in the ad, will automatically cause me to skip over the ad without even looking, regardless of the item - huge turn-offs, red flags for me, personally:

1) "Rare"...i either know it's rare already or i don't care if it's rare - nobody cares how rare it is! especially me! "rare" in an ad is an indicator of "i'm asking more for this thing because i believe it's 'rare', and that MUST mean something!"...pass!

2) ALL CAPS...what the hell? lame, lame, lame...pass!

3) Any asking price ending in "9": what is this, ron popeil's pocket fisherman?...a price ending in "5" is goofy enough, but "9" is just offensive...pass!

those are my big 3...how about you?

-CM-

Something Clever Here
Gold Supporting Member
When the pics tell the real story - it's not really in excellent condition.

index.php

index.php

index.php

bgmacaw

While it doesn't bother me I do think GFS's super hyped sales copy turns people off. Rondo's cut-and-paste ad copy isn't as bad but I could see how it might bother some.

stratotastic

I don't read a thing till I see the price first (ctrl+F for a dollar sign if necessary). If it's in the ballpark of reality, then I start reading the rest.

Things that steer me away:

"PayPal gift"

"upgrades"

"Recently serviced by [some random name]"

"Email/PM for pix"

"Mint" or "new" condition. By posting that I automatically know you're a liar.

(Something)

When they try to place the blame on me for not wanting their stuff. "Real players would appreciate this" or "I guess you don't understand the quality here." In an age where I have access to all the information in the world on a device in my pocket, I'm not interested in dealing with that attitude at all.

eigentone

Gold Supporting Member
"My car broke down! Buy my stuff way above market value!! Help me out!!!"

Maybe their price is negotiable off-list. I wouldn't know because that's one of my advertising turn-offs. It's a different story if the item is priced reasonably.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom