Passive pickup for Alder body?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by guitarguru666, Feb 23, 2012.

1. guitarguru666

guitarguru666 Member

Hi guys,

I have a Jackson RR5FR and it has two jb tb-4 pickups and I'm looking for a change. They sound pretty good as they are but if i drop down to even d standard then it just gets kind of mushy and no definition. I'm new to selecting pickups so would appreciate some help. I'm looking for one that has a tight bottom end but smooth highs, I really like the Dimarzio D activators that Chris Broderick uses but not sure how they would sound in Alder with a maple neck and rosewood fretboard. If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated!

2. guitarguru666

guitarguru666 Member

3. BigViolin

BigViolin Member

I see the Rio Grande BBQ as kind of an improved JB. Good mids, hot enough to drive an amp but still has good string seperation. It is slightly dark with sweet highs. Everyones definition of tight is different but I've had no problem with drop D stuff through Marshall styled amps.

I have no experince with that Dimarzio but have heard it's a great metal pickup.

4. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

Maybe check out the new Railhammer pickups.

5. guitarguru666

guitarguru666 Member

I will do, just want something new in it. It's my main guitar for challenging leads so I need a good lead tone but would also love a thick rhythm if that's possible :p I've heard that the Duncan distortion and the Jazz neck would be a good combination?

6. strumbringer

strumbringer Supporting Member

Suhr SSH+ and SSV sound *great* in alder.

7. guitarguru666

guitarguru666 Member

Should probably mention that I play through a Peavey 6534+ into a Marshall 1960B 4x12(Soon to be zilla fatboy 2x12). An I'll research those pickups asap :)

8. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc Member

Alder is one of my favorite tonewoods and for me the PRS HFS works really well and are pretty cheap used,around 50 bucks...good luck.