1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Passive treble/bass wiring

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by guitjopicka, Apr 1, 2015.

1. guitjopicka

guitjopicka Member

I'm building up a new thinline tele with some filtertrons and was considering wiring it up with a ptb circuit like diagram 1b on this page here. http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/21112-three-must-try-guitar-wiring-mods

I figured I would try that out using a 500k volume pot with a treble bleed and then a concentric dual 500k pot for treble and bass controls. Anyone tried this with Filtertrons? I feel like it will maybe help me move away from the bridge position a little more than I naturally do.

2. AdmiralB

AdmiralB Silver Supporting Member

I've used it with humbuckers, but never Filters.

I like it; the original G&L version is the best IME. You have to have the 1M bass pot for it to work properly, though. And it needs to be linear (or better, as the link mentions, RA). If you use a 500K pot, you get one of two problems - you either have to double the size of the cap (to keep the same frequency 'knee' as the stock 1M/0.0022uF setup), which results in the thing not really doing very much - or you accept the smaller cap, which tends to result in a perceived bright boost rather than bass cut. The good thing, I guess, is that the parts are cheap so you can afford to play around.

It also has to be wired as shown - if you wire the volume up first, then the tone pots, it doesn't work very well with the volume on anything other than '10'.

You can get almost-wah tones with different shadings of T and B rolloff.

3. guitjopicka

guitjopicka Member

Thanks for that info!

4. AdmiralB

AdmiralB Silver Supporting Member

Surely.

All my Strats have it, straight G&L style. I also had it on a Jackson Randy Rhoads, and I use a version of it on Rickenbackers (only on the bridge pickup though) to emulate the '60s style where they had a highpass filter on the bridge.

5. guitjopicka

guitjopicka Member

I was considering putting it only on the neck pickup, but I'll just do both to start. It will be more fun to play with at first that way. My main issue is that it is on a Cabronita style guitar and I only want two knobs and a switch. Switch will be in the upper shoulder. I think three knobs would be silly so I'm gonna use a dual concentric pot. But I kinda want my volume knob to be a normal single control. So that leaves me with finding a stacked concentric pot for treble/bass. Can't seem to find a 500K/1M stacked pot, so I'll probably have to go with a 500K/500K.

vibrostrat43 likes this.
  6. vibrostrat43

vibrostrat43 Member

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but how did it turn out? I’ve been trying to get a 500k/500k concentric pot to this for my Tele because I’m in the same boat as you (only 2 knobs).

I feel like I’m getting it wired up right, but I’m only getting treble cut, and no bass cut. Do you have a photo of how you wired it if it worked?

7. Juan Wayne

Juan Wayne Member

There's CTS 500/500 concentrics on allparts. I bought the 250/500 version for a tele a while back and they worked great. Still, It'd be interesting to know that you have wired so far that doesn't work properly.

For what it's worth, I have a PTB on a 2 HB LP-layout-control guitar, and 500k works fine (I don't notice a perceived treble-boost), but I reckon it could cut more bass with a 1M, so it might be worth it to look for other values. Different results can be had looking for "stacked" and "dual" pots as well.

8. vibrostrat43

vibrostrat43 Member

Yeah I looked back at the wiring diagram I found on the internet and realized I had the hot frm he pickup selector going to the wrong place. It’s working now, and I love it!

Juan Wayne likes this.
  9. Juan Wayne

Juan Wayne Member

Good stuff then! Glad it worked out.

vibrostrat43 likes this.
  10. guitjopicka

guitjopicka Member

I didn’t end up doing it, mainly because I couldn’t find the perfect pots. I needed a longer threaded shaft to fit through the la cab top and then finding the dual concentric parts on top of that just killed the idea. The guitar turned out great. Though I kind of want to move it to get a nice Jazzmaster or Les Paul Jr or something different. How she goes...

vibrostrat43 likes this.
  11. vibrostrat43

vibrostrat43 Member

Glad to hear the guitar turned out well! It turns out a concentric 500k pot with .002 bass cut cap, and .022 treble cut cap works quite well! Both all the way down gets a sort of cocked wah sound. The bass knob can cut a good amount and really helps my Tele get that country twang in the bridge, and helps the neck pickup get those tight SRV tones between just a hair shaved off to close to the bottom of the sweep (it's really helpful for neck pickup heavy drive sounds to keep them clear).

guitjopicka likes this.
  12. guitjopicka

guitjopicka Member

exactly what i was looking for in a result!