Pat Martino: gifted musician and man...

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by Free, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Free

Free Member

I just recently learned about the wonderful character of Pat Martino's playing and personality. I knew of him as his name comes up a lot in jazz, but I never looked closely until recently for some reason. I wish I had sooner. His rapid-fire phrasing and feel on lead lines especially is just incredible. His playing is swinging, intense and extremely vibey. Just wanted to put my appreciation out there and potentially get others' insights on Pat.

It's amazing how evidently at age 36 he lost his entire memory - both life and music. It's said that he came out of surgery for a brain aneurism without knowing liteally who he was or how to play his instrument anymore - he actually felt that he didn't even enjoy music after the surgery for many years after. Yet, what an incredible comeback listening to him today.

I coudn't find much detailed elaboration on the internet about his life, so I thought I'd thread. Also, here is a great interview that everyone interested in music should read. His paradigms really make one think about how they approach the guitar theoretically, geographically, etc.

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=764

-Mike

2. rosscoep

rosscoep Member

Pat is "El Hombre". His 9-string playing is fantastic. I dig his videos as well as he is really a very interesting dude. He's operating on a higher level for sure. One of the most interesting things I heard or read from him, can't remember which, was how the number 12 took on such a significance to him after his illness and how he extrapolated the pervasiveness of that number in the natural world to his theory on diminished harmony.

3. JonR

JonR Member

I didn't know about his illness. It explains a lot about his pattern-based theories.

4. jzgtrguy

jzgtrguy Member

Great guitarist. I think I have all his recordings. My all favorite is "The Maker" I Got to speak briefly with him at the Catalina Bar and Grill in L.A. a few years back when he was touring with Joey De Francesco. He struck me as a truly humble guy.

Regarding his aneurysm and recovery all I can say is. That anyone could play like Pat does is borders on the miraculous but to do it twice in the same live time. OH COME ON!

5. vhollund

vhollund Member

6. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

I love this thread at AAJ
    http://forums.allaboutjazz.com/showthread.php?t=14335&highlight=Pat+martino

I have photocopied every post by Pat and have 300 pgs + comb bound.
    All the stories, patterns, transcriptions and lessons.
    -Just in case the world ends.
    Actually, it's so I can study it away from the computer.
    I figure if he is that generous, I better work real hard.
    That would be a good return I think.

And it grows.

Pat is so generous. Thanks.

7. Free

Free Member

That's a really amazing thread. Thanks for pointing it out to us.

8. Kappy

Kappy Member

That's cool, thanks for posting. Is that from his instr. vid that has recently been re-released on DVD, or is it from some other source?

Thanks,

Dave

9. vhollund

vhollund Member

I dono
    from You Tube ... (?) ;)

10. dewey decibel

dewey decibel Member

we eat a lot of cheese and drink a lot of beer
    I think he's an amazing guy and an amazing player, but not for the same reasons as most. I'm not really into all the mathematics and all that, I actually prefer his playing before he seemed to have gotten wrapped up in all that stuff.

The thing that's amazing to me about him is his right hand. He's really the only cat I've ever heard to be able to get that Wes Montgomery feel and sense of phrasing with a pick. And it makes sense that after he got that down he sort of moved away from it, but none the less. It's unbelieveable how he can do what he does with his right hand- doesn't sound anything like Benson, Mclaughlin, or any of the others that are well known for thier picking technique. IMO, he's the most musical of the fast, technical players out there.

11. Free

Free Member

+1,000

That is probably what I love about him most - his articulation and phrasing. He has a certain attack and a bebop-like swing about him that is so damn COOL.