Pat Metheny Picking Technique Video

binge

Would anyone here happen to know of any good YouTube videos where you get a good close up of Pat Metheny's picking technique?

I haven't found anything yet. :(

edit:This video isn't too bad I suppose.

Rufus

Platinum Supporting Member
I think Metheny has a pretty unorthodox picking technique that is best suited for just him. I'm not sure anyone else would be able to emulate it, or even should try. I do know that he holds the pick so that he picks with the round end rather than the pointy one, if that helps.

If you like the way Metheny sounds (and I do), I would focus more on learning his phrasing and style than trying to mirror his physical technique.

Flyin' Brian

Silver Supporting Member
I think that Pat's playing is more about his left hand than his right hand. He slurs, hammers and pulls a LOT of notes.

The close solo starts here at about 2 minutes in. Lots of close ups.

binge

I think Metheny has a pretty unorthodox picking technique that is best suited for just him. I'm not sure anyone else would be able to emulate it, or even should try. I do know that he holds the pick so that he picks with the round end rather than the pointy one, if that helps.

If you like the way Metheny sounds (and I do), I would focus more on learning his phrasing and style than trying to mirror his physical technique.
I was waiting for this type of reply. I don't want to emulate his picking style I just want to watch him picking from a close up angle.

binge

I think that Pat's playing is more about his left hand than his right hand. He slurs, hammers and pulls a LOT of notes.

The close solo starts here at about 2 minutes in. Lots of close ups.

Thanks for the links. I recall seeing a video on YouTube, around the time of Orchestrion, and it had a great shot of his picking hand.

arthur rotfeld

Silver Supporting Member
If you have a chance to sit next to him, you might be surprised how hard his attack is. Granted he uses thin picks, but he slams them.

jb70

Silver Supporting Member
If you have a chance to sit next to him, you might be surprised how hard his attack is. Granted he uses thin picks, but he slams them.
yep. he says that he uses the round end of a thin pick but bends them to make them stiffer

arthur rotfeld

Silver Supporting Member
Yes. Show up really early at the club dates and get a seat at the stage. Use one of his speaker cab as an arm-rest.

As loud as he might play, you still hear that attack from the guitar. That Ibanez has insane fret wear too.

Flyin' Brian

Silver Supporting Member
Yes. Show up really early at the club dates and get a seat at the stage. Use one of his speaker cab as an arm-rest.

As loud as he might play, you still hear that attack from the guitar. That Ibanez has insane fret wear too.
I remember reading him saying that it was 20 years old now and just getting broken in.

Dajbro

Silver Supporting Member
That's interesting to hear. I always imagined his pick attack would be on the lighter side. Shows you what assumptions will get you...

Flyin' Brian

Silver Supporting Member
Wonder why he doesn't just suck up and buy some stiffer picks, I am sure he could afford them.
The story I read was that they didn't have anything but thin picks in his town when he was growing up, so he adapted that strange way he holds the pick, bending it to make it stiffer. I guess he just got used to it.

The bear

The story I read was that they didn't have anything but thin picks in his town when he was growing up, so he adapted that strange way he holds the pick, bending it to make it stiffer. I guess he just got used to it.
I heard the same story!
Also one where he stuck a tooth-brush on his guitar and got stuck with it for the next 20 years! I guess he is a man of habits. Awesome player, one of my main influences and the guy who got me into playing jazz.

russ6100

Gold Supporting Member
He's almost embarrassed by the way he holds his pick and discourages everyone from picking like him.

binge

He's almost embarrassed by the way he holds his pick and discourages everyone from picking like him.
This is true. I read in an interview with him that he said he'd like to take some lessons with a great picker, like Frank Gambale, and learn a better picking technique.

For me, he definitely has one of the most interesting picking techniques to watch.

The bear

This is true. I read in an interview with him that he said he'd like to take some lessons with a great picker, like Frank Gambale, and learn a better picking technique.

For me, he definitely has one of the most interesting picking techniques to watch.
Imagine Metheny with Gambale-like picking/sweeping chops? Would be scary!

Trending Topics