Pat Smear owned R4 about a block away

VintagePlayerStrat

Silver Supporting Member
Very nice guitar. I'm a little tempted, but not for the $4.5k asking price. I can literally walk to this shop in less than 10 minutes.

https://reverb.com/item/34050612-20...tandard-goldtop-finish-electric-guitar-w-ohsc

oeg7ksfbyggn2ami3viv.jpg

sdyzfa8uv72rmwukruoh.jpg

higngkjpcjzkqj40tx9t.jpg

Juan Tuthri

Silver Supporting Member
It shouldn't, and doesn't to me. But it will to some and the shop knows that. :)
If he owned it it didn't mean much to him. Probably kept it in a room for a few months.

Catch and release on that one.

Buy one that's really great instead, and save a couple grand in the process.

Edit: where are you guys seeing the weight? I don't see it listed but I would pay the premium for 1lb less on that guitar. My R4 is about 8.5lbs and is awesome, I would love a pound lighter R4

Last edited:

VintagePlayerStrat

Silver Supporting Member
How are they validating ownership? There is nothing in the auction that proves it.

I've been to this shop more than a few times. I used to make a point of at least buying my strings there because I like to support local. But even those were pretty overpriced, so I decided to just order online after about a half dozen trips.

When I did used to go, I'd try a guitar or two that seemed interesting, but they never had any jaw droppers, particularly at the prices they sought.

One time I went in there to see if they'd give me a guitar shipping box, and deliberately went to the counter with one of the T-shirts they sell there with the shop logo and name. I figured if I was gonna ask for the free shipping box (I could see several empty in the backroom area) I'd at least buy something other than strings. They said they only sold boxes (new with their logo on them.) I asked them what they were going to do with the ones I could see in the backroom that were empty Fender boxes, what have you. They said they saved them for their use.

Fair enough. I put the $15 T-shirt back and bought the $5 box. I don't think they liked that very much. haha.

Anyway, this is a longwinded way of me saying while it's not a bad shop, it's also not the best I've ever been to. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they had some Smear provenance. It also wouldn't surprise me if they had something half-arsed like a cell phone pic of him holding the guitar in the shop, which only proves he held the guitar in the shop. :)

VintagePlayerStrat

Silver Supporting Member
I wonder why celebrity ownership matters in the selling and value of a guitar?!? Does it gain more attention due to having famous sweat on it? :huh

I don't know, dude. I'm not saying I agree with it. But it will fetch more. Lots of Foo and Nirvana fans out there and wannabes, I suppose.

As I said in my OP, I like the guitar, but not for $4.5k and no, I personally don't care that Pat Smear apparently owned it. It's just something to point out because it does matter in terms of the value of the guitar. Just attaching his name to it will get more looks if you were to ever resell.

Last edited:

Tri7/5

Anyway, this is a longwinded way of me saying while it's not a bad shop, it's also not the best I've ever been to. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they had some Smear provenance. It also wouldn't surprise me if they had something half-arsed like a cell phone pic of him holding the guitar in the shop, which only proves he held the guitar in the shop. :)

It's just amazing to me that an auction claiming such shows no proof but then again we've all seen worse I'm sure. Considering they can't even take the time to prove it in an auction shows they aren't serious regardless of any inquiry to it for said proof. Definitely reads as buyer beware to me.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
yeah, pat smear was known for proudly playing cheapos and knockoffs, that doesn't seem like a guitar he would have cared about one way or the other

8217915724_941e090a7a_b.jpg

maybe that's changed since he got some foo fighters money, i see lots of pics with him holding nice gibsons now

stevieboy

Clouds yell at me
Gold Supporting Member
I think it's priced high for an R4 but I think there are some that might price it there even without the Pat Smear connection. And they don't make that big of a deal about it in the ad, just one mention and not even in the title. A grand or so too high maybe but if they are banking on a big celeb cash in I think they'd have gone a lot higher.

EDIT: Just checked the store website, they don't even mention Pat Smear in the listing there.

Getting someone to buy it might not be so easy, but people don't need a major band member tie in to ask high prices. And of course, who knows what they might actually sell it for if you made them an offer.

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom