Pat Travers (Boom Boom, Out Go The Lights live)

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by sickboy79, Feb 23, 2018.

1. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Is it me or can this guy just rock on the guitar? I just love Boom Boom but, he's got a whole lot more than that (a lot I haven't listened to yet). That said - I think Pat is a smoking rock player. Thoughts?

2. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

That first live album kicks all kinds of a$$!!!!

3. 1bluzman

1bluzman Supporting Member

This !

Hamer95USA, hotmod and sickboy79 like this.
  4. AA864

AA864 Member

Yes he does. I saw him in his prime in the 70s, he tore it up.

I got a chance to see him 20 years later and got to chat with him a bit. Cool guy, monster player.

Snortin’ Whiskey for the win

5. monwobobbo

monwobobbo Member

love Pat Travers. his version of Born Under A Bad Sign with the guitar duel between him and Pat Thrall is amazing. sadly he kind of faded away. saw him twice (once with Thrall and Tommy Aldridge, what a show)

6. Reddog

Reddog Member

just added Pat's live "Boom Boom..." to my MP3 player yesterday...it still rocks!

Tommy Biggs and sickboy79 like this.
  7. Coach T.

Coach T. Member

Life in London was one of the first songs I ever learned. Great stuff, great player...always gets me rocking.

8. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

9. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

I used to hear this all the time on Houston rock radio in the early to mid 80's. Segue into Head East and some ZZ.

10. karmadave

karmadave Member

I saw Pat in the late 70’s and he tore up the stage. Haven’t seen him since, but I heard he still rocks!

Hamer95USA and MrGuitarhack like this.
  11. D4V3?

D4V3? Member

I saw him live when I was a wee lad. He was touring in support of Heat in the Street with Thrall and Aldridge... oh man! What a guitar fest!! Glorious tones and effects, brilliant twin leads, harmonized bends and vibrato between him and Thrall. Incredible.

12. AA864

AA864 Member

We were going to see him in 1976(I think?) at the Swing auditorium (San Bernardino, CA) and he was doing an appearance at the local music (Lier's Music) store mid day before the show. SO we head on down. Of course he's an hour late and only shows up with his bass player. So he asks "Any drummers in the house". Everyone in the room shot up an arm. He follows up with "OK, we need a 'good' drummer, not a hack" They picked some kid out of the crowd and did Boom, Boom and killed it. Man, that kid must have been flying that day. What a treat.

I told this story to Pat when I met him 20 years later and he remembered the whole thing, said his drummer was totally hung over and could not get him out of bed to go to the event.

13. PBGas

PBGas Supporting Member

Amazing guitar player! Heard serveral of his tunes over the years on local radio all of the time.

Hamer95USA likes this.
  14. HugoTheCat

HugoTheCat Member

15. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

It's not just you. I first saw Travers in the mid 70s - he was opening for Cheap Trick!
    Anyways it was the original core band - Travers, Thrall, Mars Cowling and Tommy Aldridge.

To my young ears and eyes - Travers was completely on fire. I kept thinking that
    the guitar was part of him. Boom Boom was played of course - but the song that
    just brought the house down...Makes No Difference. They rocked it so hard that
    the venue became petrified.

I also saw him over in England in the 80s - got to go backstage too! I was a little
    shocked at how hammered Travers was - and this was before he went on stage.
    My impression was that Aldridge and Thrall were pissed off about Travers state.
    But what was mind blowing was that as soon as he stepped out on stage, Travers
    looked to be in total control. I have no idea how - but he just rocked it again -
    until the end of the set - then I think he crafted his buzz wrong. Travers lost his
    mojo - and played Boom Boom like a 3rd grader. I talked to one of the crew
    backstage - and he reiterated that this was indicative of the whole tour.

Anywho...I saw Travers again in the 90s at a 400 or 500 person small club in San Diego.
    I think Cowlings was playing with him - but I didn't recognize the drummer or second
    guitarist. Travers was as good as ever - the other two guys- well...they were okay - but they
    were not anything like Aldridge and Thrall - and that rockin' edge Travers band had in
    the 70s was no where to be seen.

16. rwe333

rwe333 Member

Killer player, singer, writer
    Band was so great w Thrall, and that live record pretty much the peak, but so much great music over Travers early career

MrGuitarhack and Dexter.Sinister like this.
  17. Mickey Shane

Mickey Shane apolitical Silver Supporting Member

I saw him in a club in Waco, TX in '94. I was impressed! They were very loud in there, but not deafening. I talked to his drummer for a bit. He was 18.

MrGuitarhack likes this.
  18. BlueRiff

BlueRiff Member

I saw Pat in '79 open for Rush at the formerly named 'Pine Knob' (now DTE Energy Music Theatre) outside of Detroit. I was coming up the back of the hill to enter the show as his band kicked into Out Go The Lights and remember thinking 'Who the hell is this guy? He smokes!". It was my first Rush concert - they were wrapping Hemisphere's tour and auditioning tunes off of Permanent Waves. It was definitely one of top rock shows I've seen.

19. flcmcya

flcmcya Silver Supporting Member

Saw them in a small club in the early 80's...Rippen loud ....and in yo face! :cool:

Road up to a harley dealer in Melbourne Fla......400 bikes in the parking lot! WTF!

Pat Travers playing their grand opening..... Tampa locals will remember the opener.... White Witch no less!

Top 5 bands for me.

MrGuitarhack likes this.
  20. NashSG

NashSG Member

Wild connection is that Nicko McBrain of long time Iron Maiden fame was his drummer on a couple of early albums.

Travers had an interesting career. He started in Canada and moved to the UK to get a record deal then eventually moved back, so there are pretty much two different Pat Travers bands until you get to the classic one with Tommy Aldridge and Pat Thrall.

I got that box set of Travers that had all of his albums on it and the last couple he did in the 80s were much more soft rock and mid-tempo, playing down the guitar hero angle. I'm guessing the label wanted a hit or he was trying to go new wave, either way not as good.

sickboy79 likes this.