Patch Cables - Measuring?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mrodrigues, Sep 23, 2008.

1. mrodrigues

mrodrigues Member

Maybe there is a very simple answer but eh..

For those of you who order soldered cables to be made (patch cables), how do you measure so that you know it will work with your board from pedal to pedal? Or do you just buy a bunch of 8" and 10" and 6" etc and then just make it work?

2. j_hotch

j_hotch Member

I estimate this by using pieces of string as a stand-in for the cable, following the layout I plan to use. Always remember to give yourself some extra length to accommodate the plugs you are planning to use.

3. mike@nortoncable.com

mike@nortoncable.com Member

Just measured up a board yesterday, used a vynil measuring tape, works great, very flexible and has inches/mm as well. I usually add 3/4" overall for some wiggle room :)

4. rhythmrocker

rhythmrocker 1966 Battle of the Bands Supporting Member

Last year I ordered a bunch of patch cables from Lava. As it turned out, there was a mis-communication between us (no one's fault) and 15 to 20 cables were too short. LavaMan was exceptionally gracious enough to correct the error.

Whoever you buy cables from, make sure that you and the vendor are on the same page as far as the length of each cable being:

1) from connector tip to tip (end-to-end)

OR

2) from connector beginning to connector beginning (where the cable goes into the connector).

Good luck.

5. LavaMan

LavaMan Gold Supporting Member

I recommend placing pedals and then measuring from pedal jack to to pedal jack and adding 1/2" - 1" to be safe....housings on most patch cables will about 1.5" long each so on average a 6" patch cable will leave about 3-3.5" of exposed cable inbetween.

6. mrodrigues

mrodrigues Member

Thanks!

Cool. Actually, I'll be placing my order with LavaMan soon to finish up my board (finally :)

7. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

And if you're wanting solid or thicker cable like Evidence (even Melody) they may need to be just a tad longer than you would want normal cable, specfically when a twist needs to be made in the cable. I figured this out when I built some Melody pedal patch cables for myself.

8. AqueousView11

AqueousView11 Member

So a 6" RA to RA patch cable will be 6" from end to end?

9. starfish

starfish Member

I'd like to know this as well since I'm busy measuring for an order soon. Is a 6" cable the length of the exposed cable, or the entire length from r/a connector to r/a connector?

10. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

Use some string or twine to mock up cables and then make your new wires to match. :D