Patsy Cline Reverb

Jacob Jackman

What reverb device would be best to get that washed and wispy, full on reverb sound that you hear on the vocals of any Patsy Cline song? Any spot on mic pre amps, comps, EQ's, are welcome for suggestion. I'm already guessing she was singing into a U47 or something close.

ronzie

Ribbons for vocals and mono chambers. Look up Owen Bradley and Quonset Hut Studios. That should get you going..

Motterpaul

Tone is in the Ears
All echo chambers (from the 50s & 60s) used to be acoustic - usually empty water tanks with a speaker and microphones (or similar). It is hard to find digital mixers that offer that many reflections. That is why they sound so rich. Personally, I also like the EMT plate emulators, because I used the real thing for so long I got used to it. I just downloaded the WAVES IR for just $29 which has that plate sound, it is not too bad.

Rockinrob86

Silver Supporting Member
I would reamp a feed of the vocal into a speaker set up in a bathroom, and put a LDC in the bathroom with the speaker. You'll have to play with the volume (maybe moderate to quiet would be best) and mic placement, and then mix it back in.

This sounds really good with drums and a bunch of things. Nothing like moving some air...

Motterpaul

Tone is in the Ears
I would reamp a feed of the vocal into a speaker set up in a bathroom, and put a LDC in the bathroom with the speaker. You'll have to play with the volume (maybe moderate to quiet would be best) and mic placement, and then mix it back in.

This sounds really good with drums and a bunch of things. Nothing like moving some air...
It isn't the worst idea, really. Any basically empty room with no carpet or drapes is highly reflective. If you have a big tile shower it might work (a bigger room would be better).

mixwiz

here is a cool video from Universal Audio where they recorded a jazz combo and used the bathroom as an echo chamber

Definitely the bigger the better, but I think you just have to experiment.

/QUOTE]

Thanks for that. Cool clip.

Trending Topics