Paul C Tim Remote Boost Switch?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mrbesty, Feb 8, 2012.

1. mrbesty

mrbesty Member

Hey all,

Many apologies if this question has already been answered somewhere else. I searched but couldn't find anything.

Is there a way to modify the Tim so the boost can be activated remotely?

I'm really hoping to purchase a programmable pedal switcher like a Musicom Lab or similar soon and LOVE the boost section of the Tim. It would be pretty annoying to be able to make presets of everything else but not be able to switch the Tim's boost on and off since it's a great gain stage to have!

If anyone knows how this can be done, please chime in!

Love!

2. JamonGrande

JamonGrande Supporting Member

I'm actually going through the same situation with two pedals. Most pedals that have a "second side" or boost usually consist of a typical 3pdt (three pull double throw) switch - same as your standard true-bypass switch - and are wired the same as any TB switch. Most pedals that have some sort of remote function utilize a momentary contact switch.

My current thought - replacing the footswitch for the boost side with one of Jack Deville's silent true-bypass switches (essentially a premade relay switch). But instead of hooking it up to a momentary contact switch, wiring it to a 1/4" jack that would then connect to your switcher of choice (I was using a Rocktron Patchmate, now RJM). Your remote device briefly closes the switch and it triggers the boost side.

Major hitch though - lets say you want Patch 1 to trigger the boost, but Patch 2 to have it off. Both programs would have a "trigger" programmed then (one on one off). But then if you went from a program that did not have it on (lets say program 3) to progam 2, you've now turned on the boost. I have this exact problem already with a slightly similar setup, and thus always have to go program 1 -> 2 to ensure I turn off the pedal.

Possible solution - a relay switch that is triggered by a latching contact. That way you have two distinct states mirrored by the pedal and the remote control. I was going to email Jack to ask him if this was possible.

That's what I've come up with, would certainly appreciate other thoughts. My solution above will cost you $30 and some time to retrofit the pedal. Perhaps a decent boost may be an easier solution.

joe