• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Paul Carrack, with John Hiatt and Nick Lowe: Tempted

MikeMcK

Gold Supporting Member
In the case of Tempted, it’s both. Difford-Tillbrook and Carrack at their absolute best. The invisible man here is Elvis Costello, who arranged it into the perfect track and sang backup in the studio. The best of the best at their best!
Yeah, it's a great song in its own right and I've heard Tillbrook sing the Carrack part, but it needs a real singer no matter what. Love the changes... I recently did it as a duo (I just played guitar, singer just sang) and it works great stripped way down like that, assuming you get the bass part under the chords.

EDIT: I meant to add that this is one of those songs I didn't really appreciate when it was on FM 5 times a day. But we've all heard great recordings that are just time-wasters when they're stripped down. IMHO, sometimes the mark of a great song is whether they have that "special" quality or are even more special with 1 instrument and 1 voice. IOW, the melody and the changes stand up with zero production value.

Another great example is Colin Hay. If Men At Work was background music for you in the '80s, check out the acoustic versions he does these days (which were probably the way he intended them when he wrote them). And also check out the newer stuff he's done, mostly just with an acoustic guitar.

Last edited:

57gold

Gold Supporting Member
Great song and performance. Read somewhere that the Squeeze guys wrote this, had Paul C in studio for keys and once they heard him sing they said, "Dude, you sing this, you kill on it." They were correct.

Love this tune, took me forever to figure out the changes and they are masterfully done. Not your typical pop tune.

Here is a version with an even stronger vocal performance:

mikebat

In the case of Tempted, it’s both. Difford-Tillbrook and Carrack at their absolute best. The invisible man here is Elvis Costello, who arranged it into the perfect track and sang backup in the studio. The best of the best at their best!
I did not know that Costello connection to that song. Small world. I love Costello and that he had his hand in this....as did Lowe and Hiatt (another fave) on this version.... it all comes together in a "mikey likey" sandwich.

Sammo

In album version, PC starts to sing early during intro - I don’t know if it’s on purpose or mistakes, but it makes me smile everytime. Great song!

Porschefender

Silver Supporting Member
Paul Carrack has a ton of soul and has been a favorite of mine for years. We used to play a couple tunes off of his Suburban Voodoo LP, which was produced by Nick Lowe so the bass is nice and upfront. Great sounding album and no guitar solos to speak of, very refreshing.

geoangus

Silver Supporting Member
The band lineup in the OP looks a lot like the Cowboy Outfit tour that I saw around ‘84

Davepitt11

One of my absolute favorite voices. He has some late career cover albums that are great but it makes you wish he had hooked up with a writing partner at one point and had more great originals to sing.

Though "Eyes of Blue" is tremendous.

WordMan

Gold Supporting Member
Great song and performance. Read somewhere that the Squeeze guys wrote this, had Paul C in studio for keys and once they heard him sing they said, "Dude, you sing this, you kill on it." They were correct.

Love this tune, took me forever to figure out the changes and they are masterfully done. Not your typical pop tune.

Here is a version with an even stronger vocal performance:

The drummer in my band was a producer who’d gotten his start as a drummer, had a shot which didn’t work out, so he was in London in the 80’s trying to figure out a role in music (after his success, he drummed with us for fun). Elvis Costello’s manager, Jake Riviera, liked my buddy‘s ears and decided to give him a shot. His first assignment from Jake was to produce a few demo songs with a singer who knew who to feature a lyric. Yeah, Paul Carrack. He said it was an education.

57gold

Gold Supporting Member
Paul C, Winwood, Paul Rodgers and Joe Cocker are in the upper echelon of Britons with soulful voices...with an R&B sensitivity.

After posting this, went on my 5 mile COVID walk (I'm in Florida and it's like 90 degrees, so we walk versus run in the sun) and listened on my fancy assed earbuds with Amazon Music HD to the original track on the Best of Squeeze...whole thing kills, and doesn't sound like the nasty over processed 1980s era pop. Great changes, vocal arrangement, keyboards that sound full (versus nasty 1980s thin synth sound) and it swings, which is something that got lost in the 1980s.

Got my guitar out this afternoon to walk through the changes, with great descending the ascending bass lines. Found a video with Tillbrook explaining the changes, in which interestingly he misnames the chords, but you know what he means.

One of the best tunes of the 1980s along with tunes by U2, The Police, Petty, Peter Gabriel, Knopfler...heads above most of the stuff produced in an era of schlocky pop for the masses.

Last edited:

WordMan

Gold Supporting Member
Didn't realize that "How Long" was a Paul Carrack tune.
Yeah, with Ace. He’s a trivia question, because he had top charting singles with three different bands - Ace, Squeeze and Mike and the Mechanics.

Ah, song? Singer? What we have here is a fine example of symbiosis. David MacNeill nailed it straight from Jump Street re: "invisible man" comment. Cool post .. Great assemblage of talent ... Ace .. Squeeze .. Mike and the Mechanics. .. Always enjoyed Carrack

Trending Topics