Paul Cochrane Tim Pedal Questions

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Motterpaul, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Motterpaul

Motterpaul Tone is in the Ears

I used to have a Tim. I believe it was the original version, it did have the toggle switch on top.

Now, on mine I could use it as a dual overdrive, meaning I could have the boost (left footswitch) on separately and it worked, regardless of the setting on the footswitch on the right. If I accidentally turned that boost off I lost tone and volume (even if the right footswitch was off).

Is this normal behavior for the Tim, or was mine possibly modded? I have people telling me now the boost never worked unless the pedal is already on. Later that right-side footswitch label was changed from "on" to "bypass".

I know the pedal had a few different versions. Is it possible some of them were made to work differently?

2. voxylady

voxylady Member

Hmmm, not sure. But the boost on the Tim I had definitely only worked when the pedal itself was on. I know it's not much help, but count me as a Tim owner with a boost that didn't work independently.

3. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

never played a tim like that, have owned five different ones. on my present one, with external switch on top {originals had the switch options internally} it isn't a dual pedal, the boost just gives you more...er, boost!
    and the pedal needs to be engaged for the boost to function.

4. Imperial_Tone

Imperial_Tone All things with a Maple Cap

I've got a v1 Tim, I haven't really used it all to much lately. I'll give an update later tonight and let you know what I find @Motterpaul perhaps your's was modded or just happened to be a little extra "special".

5. Omega

Omega Member

My boost required the main part to be on, I couldn't just use it separately.

6. tomuchroc41gtr

tomuchroc41gtr Supporting Member

Yep, my Tim boost only worked when the pedal was engaged.

7. vanisher16

vanisher16 Member

I have an original V1 perf board TIM and i ditto everyone here in saying the boost only works when the pedal is engaged... not separately

Amazing pedal I must say tho!!!

8. kowalski440

kowalski440 Member

a banana republic run by an orange monkey
    v1 owner, same results.
    if there were ever a pedal that should be re-released. Tim is an asskicker.