Paul Gilbert Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by clothwiring, Oct 16, 2008.

1. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

Well after a year of sorta wandering not really practicing much I recently realized that I want to work on my metal/rock and shred chops again.

Sure I have my tone snob rig and all that good stuff...but...

I just want a rock/shred guitar tone like Paul Gilbert. What amp is he using these days. What are some good metal/rock/shred amps these days?

2. rnm14

rnm14 Member

3. clothwiring

I know he's been a Laney guy for a long time, but didn't he do something with Marshall within the last year or so?

4. clothwiring

5. FortinAmps

FortinAmps Member

Also back in the early days of Racer X, he used modified Marshalls by Lee Jackson / Metaltronix

6. ibenhad

ibenhad Member

Pretty sure he used a modded ADA MP-1. I have one and put the ADA Depot 3 tube mod in it. The thing is sick. He also used Laneys (GH100L) and I saw him with the Metaltronix M-1000 which is a killer head designed by Lee Jackson. Zakk used these when I saw him with Ozzy also.

7. clothwiring

What are some other top shred amps that you guys would suggest?

8. Catoogie

Catoogie Senior Member

Paul Gilbert seems like a really good guy but I've always thought he had bad tone. Too much gain and icepicky.

9. xntrick

xntrick Member

a sansamp gt2 is a good starting point for some nice tones...

10. cugel

cugel Member

i dug his laney tone very much but now , as is mentioned above, a marshall VM devotee. his pedel arsenal is ???
    get a laney for cheap

11. Benlevy

Benlevy Member

I think he used VH100r heads as well. About MP1s, he said he played modded and unmodded and preferred the unmodded. If you're looking for 80s shred, perhaps a Splawn. If you have more money, perhaps a Roccaforte HG? On the cheap, a used 5150 may do it. I played a Peavey Valveking recently, there's a ton of gain in those things if you're looking less than $500. Just suggestions...

12. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Yep, he's a super guy. Never a huge fan of his tone either, but it fits him. But at a clinic I attended I asked him why he dug such trebly tones and he said "I do...? Maybe it's cause I'm going deaf?"

I owe any and all of my technique to him so I still love to listen to him and play some of his stuff.

IMO to get something in the relm of a tone to cover his stuff, find a good Marshall'esqe master volume amp and add a good OD to the front. A JCM900 Master Volume (not the dual reverb) would be a great choice, still an amp I miss and shouldn't have sold.

The Laney stuff he used for a while should be dirt cheap too. I've thought about getting one of those heads (GH50 it think, although he used the 100 watter).

Probably even better and from when I think he actually had some cool tone on the Lean Into It album were those Lee Jackson designed Ampeg amps VL1002 or 502 I think) These are actually a little hard to come buy and probably a bit more expensive than the other two I've mentioned.

13. CJReaper

CJReaper Member

A really cool, cheap shred amp is the Laney AOR Series I. You can get those dirt cheap and they have a great hot rodded Marshall vibe. I'd love to get a 50 watt AOR Series I head. I had a Series II and it was very harsh and shrill compared to the Series I amps. A Marshall JCM900 SLX would be really cool as well, it's the only 900 series amp that I like.

Cheers,

CJ

14. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

I played one once that sounded that good. The other 3 times I tried one, it sounded like crap.

But that's some great tone there!

15. rnm14

rnm14 Member

And it seems to be recorded at very low volumes, you can actually hear him picking the strings acoustically.

16. cisspcism

cisspcism Member

You can get a Carvin Legacy amp for 799 brand new, definitely shredable tones in that!!!!!

17. Millul

Millul Member

18. clothwiring

Great suggestions so far. Nice to see you guys offering up the low and high price stuff as options. What else would get the good stuff. I was always a huge Gilbert and Satch fan. Also want to make sure I can approach that. I'm thinking a Splawn might do the trick.

19. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

He told me tha his live set-up was VM-Hot Plate-cab, and recording he replaced the cab with a Randall iso box.