Paul Gilbert sig pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jaywalker, Oct 12, 2008.

1. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

[​IMG]

Lowdown????????
    Can't find demos, from the banter it looks like something between an EQ/solo boost/treble booster/kitchen sink......

But homebrew still don't have much on it on their site.

2. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Well, he's been using a Boss EQ for years, so I'm thinking that this is just going to replace it for the same purposes.

-Ben

3. retrokid

retrokid Member

Interesting...Thanks for sharing this pedal with us. I want to hear the sound of it, although PG doesn't care a lot about tone...

4. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

5. rowla

rowla Supporting Member

+1, nicely chosen examples

Personally I like the idea of a 'less' pedal and will try one

6. drod1985

drod1985 Member

I'm interested. Where can I get more info?

7. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

I would say to watch this website:

http://www.homebrewelectronics.com/

The main page states: "Signature series pedals coming soon!", and they also list Paul among their endorsers. Last I knew he was using the Electric Mistress, but they state he uses their THC.

Here's his board from some point in '07, although it changes frequently:

[​IMG]

You can see his EHX Electric Mistress, EHX Flanger, OCD, AC Booster, Radial Big Shot, Deja Vibe, Boss EQ & Tuner, MXR Phase 90, and RMC wah.

-Ben

8. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

somebody kill me.... but come on.... signature EQ??

I wonder when I can get my Satriani Tuner....

9. Kapo_Polenton

Kapo_Polenton Member

Looks like an RC booster in disguise? Nice to see Paul using some readily available pedals though I agree that at times it sounds like he is driving the front end of his amps a tad too much with gain from pedals cause it gets fizzy. Still amazing chops though. Love gilbert.

10. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Not a new thing ;)
    For instance, the Kerry King EQ:

[​IMG]

I like the idea of the Paul EQ pedal - 3 band EQ with a boost. Not something I need, but a cool pedal nonetheless. Like an MDEQ with a volume control.

-Ben

11. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

people who dress up their chihauhas aren't new either..... that doesn't make them less insufferable :(

12. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

HA!
    But I'd hardly get worked up about a pedal or endorsement enough to say that it's 'insufferable'. Well, maybe the Keith Partridge Strat. :D

13. Shredcow

Shredcow Member

He's recently been using the Marshall JVMs aye? Looking at youtube clips (got nothing else...), it sounds less fizzy than his laney setups.

14. philraumi

philraumi Member

I was told from a magazine thathe uses Marshall Vintage Moderns. Some new youtube clips sound pretty cool.

15. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

here's what the makers themselves kindly emailed me about the product, very friendle and swift:
    Hello John,
    Very cool! Thank you for your email and comments! The pedal is available now. Paul is currently touring with the prototype. We will be sending the first production one to him next week. The Detox is a very musical EQ, no harsh frequencies and very quiet. Paul uses it to reduce the gain on his amps and add a little sparkle for his clean sound. Works very well. Can also be used as a standard EQ as well as a boost. List price for the pedal is $159.00 and street price will be around $129.00. Thanks again and please email if you have any further questions. Best Regards,
    Joel Weaver
    HBE

So it's like a kind of 'clean pedal' - hence the name DETOX I expect. I used to use a DOD bifet preamp in very much the same way back in the days when I was using a JCM800 on full whack, I could lower the vol and gain for rhythm work and then let it loose for lead work - the LED always caught me off guard though - I'm used to turning something ON to get louder, not OFF!!!!
    Looks like a great multi-purpose pedal though.

16. papersoul

papersoul Member

Could you use it in the loop as a solo boost? If not this I was going to consider a BYOC EQ.

17. ibzmav

ibzmav Member

18. wbm68

wbm68 Member

It's the opposite of a booster. The idea is to have your signal go full steam in your amp and when the pedal is on (last in line on your board) to reduce the volume or signal to your amp while giving you some EQ control. Similar to having a volume pedal last, but with a build in EQ.
    It's supposed to give you a one button click "cleanish" tone if you rely on amp distortion, or a volume drop if you use pedal distortion.

19. iggs

iggs Member

Didn't think of it that way ... that's BRILLIANT!

20. Catoogie

Catoogie Senior Member

David Gilmour has been doing this GE7's for years. It's an ingenius idea