Paul Jackson Jr - on American Idol

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Aj_rocker, May 10, 2008.

1. Aj_rocker

Aj_rocker Member

did anyone catch him on it this week?? there was one song where he was out front. he was using a PRS into a BOSS GT8 into a combo (i think rivera). He sounds huge though it! heres a link

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MU6m5eSPuMY its at about 6mins

AJ

2. WahmBoomAh

WahmBoomAh World Crass Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

more like 5 min+

great player no doubt ... not really a shining moment musically as much as a rarity ...an actual guitar solo up front in a media monster vehicle .

too much compression !!!!!

3. mcuguitar

mcuguitar Gold Supporting Member

Paul Jackson Jr. is a fantastic jazz/fusion player, but I don't really dig his rock or blues tone/chops.

4. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member

I really like his tone and playing.

5. Stevoreen

Stevoreen Member

I think his tone is fantastic. So much so that I emailed him last year to ask him what amp he was playing through. He promptly wrote back and said he uses Fuchs amps. I'm not sure what he's playing through this year. Seemed like a very friendly guy.

6. Aj_rocker

Aj_rocker Member

nice! hes a great guy. I get that impression from Andy fuchs too.

AJ

7. guitarplayaman

guitarplayaman Member

I don't really dig his rock tone....in fact the band as a whole really misses it when they play rock....

8. Guitarplayerdan

Guitarplayerdan Member

he always plays america Idol. And he also does other tv shows that are basicly american idol. He is good!

I also get really impressed with the drummers on these shows.

9. Steve Foley

Steve Foley Member

I've met him a couple times down in Irvine, at Saddleback. He's a monster player, in real-life, but on AI usually tries to stick to the format of the music he's backing. He reverts to jazz, for the most part, but plays some VERY tasty blues, as well. I thought he got some awesome blues tones, down there, when he was turned loose. In the format I've seen him it was a four-day Worship Musician workshop, with some of the biggest names in the industry onsite for concerts and workshops, as well as jam sessions. It was in some of the jazz jam sessions that Paul's chops and chord knowledge is really apparent. I'm not a huge jazz fan, although I appreciate it for what it is - but Paul just about converted me :bow. He's always in the pocket, and plays to support the piece - he's got a wonderful feel for what it takes to provide just the right flavor.
    He's also a real humble chap, although he's on call all the time here on the west coast. He's definitely got the chops down. I could see hanging with him, he's such a nice guy, with a TON of talent.
    As far as AI, keep in mind that many time the tone that comes to us on our TV's is NOTHING like the tone that's really happening. I can't tell you how many times I've heard recordings that sound nothing like the show I heard live, with important pieces and instruments missing or mis-eq'ed.

El Steve-0