Paul Kossoff what a player!

Pleximan

I'm really in to music and discovering new guitarists. I recently was reading an old guitar player magazine talking about the greatness of Paul Kossoff. So I checked out some of his is music with Free and his solo work. He was amazing! One of the best vibratos I've heard, to bad he died so young.
check this out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NH5wbYP5xkQ

I know I may seem a little late to this band wagon but glad I found out about him.
Here is another great track
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YylGLV_nANU

Who are some other lesser known greats I should check out?

LocustXReign

Dude was the definition of restraint and dynamics. Free is so underrated, and so is his solo stuff! Backstreet Crawler was and is a nasty bit of wax!

big mike

Platinum Supporting Member
Ditto backstreet crawler.

Koss was the man!! Great vibrato, great restraint.

Just a fabulous player.

Vishnu

you can tell fellow Scotsman Angus Young from AC/DC has spent some time listening to Paul K

Gibson62

Koss had such a wicked vibrato...played with alot of fire.

Kim Simmonds from Savoy Brown is another great, underrated
blues/rock player.

Teleking

Silver Supporting Member
What's amazing is how great the vocals are from Paul Rodgers. Love Koss as well, great player, but the vocals from Rodgers were amazing with Free. He lost the "scratch" in his voice later. My guess is less cigarettes and whiskey, but I loved his vocals on Free.

DrumBob

Platinum Supporting Member
Kossoff is one of my top favorites.

Me too. See my influences below. I met Koss shortly before he died. He was fu**** up and wasted almost to the point of unconsciousness. A shame. I went to see Back Street Crawler that night just to hear Koss, and he was so wasted, he couldn't play. Snuffy Smith did the gig in his place. I walked out after one song.

DJones

Yea, there's a great compilation I recommend called Blue Soul that spans various work he did w/ Free, Back Street Crawler, and some studio sessions w/ other artists. OP, have you listened to Mike Bloomfield yet? If not, pick up Super Session.

EL 34 X2

Silver Supporting Member
I was going to mention Leslie West. But looks like DrumBob beat me to it. So I'll throw in Tommy Bolin.

Dawg76

Silver Supporting Member
Gary Moore; Monte Montgomery.

And kudos to the OP for checking out a name in an old GP. Can't remember how many times I saw Bonamassa's name in mags and never checked it out. Caught his '09 Royal Albert Hall DVD and hooked since; seen him four times (including RAH last March). And speaking of Koss and Rodgers - Free's "Fire and Water":

imonabuss

Silver Supporting Member
Really not a bad cover of Koss by Joe, although he doesn't have the same touch. But nothing close to Andy Fraser there.

To the OP, have you checked out Peter Green, or Otis Rush?

And thank you for that link to Moonshine live. That was so good I am in tears. What a guitar player....

Trending Topics