Paul Reed Smith weird

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jamme61, Jan 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamme61

jamme61 Silver Supporting Member

I’ve watched a lot of PRS interviews and every time Paul makes the interview weird imho. He makes it so tough for the interviewer that it’s hard to watch. I don’t get it- I do love his guitars but can’t take him.

cutaway, ant_riv, jbylake and 13 others like this.
  2. tildeslash

tildeslash Supporting Member

My wife recorded my guitar friend and I talking and she said the same thing.
    We speak our own language at a pace that only we understand and that we're total nerds.
    She loves it that we have love and passion for wonderful things that gives us joy.

3. johnsav

johnsav Member

It's 18 minutes long. Where does it get weird?

godspeed, sjwieczorkow, Jim S and 7 others like this.
  4. jamme61

jamme61 Silver Supporting Member

From the start like every Paul video I’ve ever watched - maybe I should have said uncomfortable to watch. If you don’t sense that cool. For me I can’t stand it- I cringe for the poor guy who needs to interview him.

5. sixesandsevens

sixesandsevens Member

The beginning is a little awkward, but the dude is just a really successful geek who loves guitars.

6. Stev0Griffin

Stev0Griffin Trendsetter

Paul always reminds me of Larry David. Kind of awkward but he is who he is unapologetically.

larsjen, cutaway, axehandler and 15 others like this.
  7. Dominik

Dominik Member

Pretty subdued by PRS standards. Here you go...

Tim Pierce always the pro, knows he's on camera so he laughs along to keep those free guitars rolling in.

8. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

I saw him live a few years ago.
    Probably. Very smart guy but
    I left after he talked about nothing
    Yes nice guitars that him didn't home my interest long

9. 67super

67super Member

I thought it was a good interview, if you watch it until the end Paul admits that he gave the interviewer a hard time and that the interviewer handles it well.

10. 850Special

850Special Member

Yep. He is Larry David + Steve Jobs.

bobcs71, Antmax, Stev0Griffin and 8 others like this.
  11. T92780

T92780 Silver Supporting Member

His company is too big for him/owner to be in front of a camera, as it rarely helps a huge brand grow sales. At best, 50% will like you and with Paul, I'd estimate in a fair poll, likely 25-30% would only like him/how he comes across on camera.

PS. I don't see Larry David in him at all, except; bald, Gray and glasses.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    Vintage_, cutaway, Crowder and 3 others like this.
  12. Henry Terry

Henry Terry Member

I went to his talk several years ago at the Guitar Center in Boston near Fenway Park. I found him to be very informative. I had no complaints about his personality.

I remember his saying that he feels that guitar design should be about removing the obstacles to getting the tone produced by the strings to the output of the guitar. I have been playing for a long time, and I had never thought of guitar design in those terms.

13. halcyon

halcyon Member

Agree with the OP; PRS interviews are cringeworthy. He’s incredibly obnoxious and poorly-spoken. It’s not at all endearing.

kruts, takmagic, cutaway and 12 others like this.
  14. zum

zum Member

He’s socially awkward, but most geniuses are... their uniqueness is what drives them to think of new ways to innovate. I can appreciate and respect his attention to detail and trying to constantly improve his product. He is who he is...

Oakie, niassist, Cam1936 and 10 others like this.
  15. The_Bell

The_Bell Member

@jamme61 , maybe find some compassion? None of us come across perfectly. Personally, I relate to him in that regard.

Believe me, he is smart enough to know how he comes across without you pointing it out. And he can't do much about it.

It feels wrong to me to bash him here for this reason, sorry.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  16. Benz2112

Benz2112 Supporting Member

I think Paul is very charming in a quirky way, he is always excited about his product. Then again I like Jeff Kiesel too. Gibson and Fender have plenty of polished executives that talk to the press, maybe that is more your speed.

17. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

Tough Crowd. The guy is a guitar player. He is now the owner of (arguably) one of the most popular companies who build guitars. What do you expect from a guitar player who innovates/invents/builds ? I would like one of his paychecks with the philosophy.

18. Autoesq

Autoesq Silver Supporting Member

He’s an odd guy for sure. I attended several roadshows and he’s all over the place, using the weirdest analogies to try to make his irrelevant point. The Q&A portions were the worst. Never answered the question and instead went off in a completely different direction. It’s so bad it becomes good.

That new video of him trying to explain the TCI pickups in “layman’s” terms is gold—“it’s a whistle...”

19. McGTR

McGTR Member

I dont like those of his guitars Ive tried, but have tried to look into some. This doesnt give me much of an incitement though..

jamme61 and T92780 like this.
  20. Jett

Jett Silver Supporting Member

I have owed a few PRS guitars over the years, but don't tend to gravitate towards this brand. With that said, I met Paul at the Dallas guitar show and throughout the event I ran into him a few times and he always stopped and spoke with me. At one point, we were in the beer line together and I bought him a beer. He was very gracious and great to hang out with and talk guitars. Super nice guy in my opinion and knows his stuff. Rock on Paul...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.