Paul Reed Smith weird

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jamme61, Jan 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Who needs 5g with you around!
    I just got off the phone with them, seriously!!
    I got the floor model for 2k off, and the stereo system worth an additional 800 bucks free! Or so said the salesman, who oddly struck a slight resemblance to PRS himself.
    Hmmmm...what's going on here???
    :eek:

2. JMintzer

JMintzer Burned Out Mod

That's me, in the shadows, next to Carl Werkmeister, who is next to Paul (on his right, to the left in the picture)...

Pretty sure that was the 2nd Original Forum Event...

Me, with Paul, wearing the same jacket that evening...

[​IMG]

I miss those days...

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  3. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Silver Supporting Member

OK, now you only need to remember, DO NOT BRING YOUR GUITARS INTO THE TUB WITH YOU! :D

Tag likes this.
  4. Buck Woodson

Buck Woodson Supporting Member

...and don't forget that Larry David is George Costanza

5. Dasein

Dasein Member

I know the interviewer is from the UK and hasn't seen the sun in about 6 months, but he ain't doing radio and walking around in a baseball T and wearing shorts to do on camera interviews might not be the look you want to communicate to the world (including the CEO of one of the premiere American guitar companies). I'd have given him a hard time too if I was Paul...

6. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Silver Supporting Member

Me, too.

superstratjunky likes this.
  7. phretbored

phretbored Member

I like this one...the interviewers planned ahead to goof on Paul and throw him off his game...

8. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Member

There is a long history of top personalities in the guitar and amp businesses not all being Mr. Congeniality. I found Paul to be generally pretty pleasant when I took part in the first PRS Forum event many years ago. I agree, his interview performance can be a little cringe-y these days. But hey, Leo Fender, Paul Bigsby, and others were not exactly known for being silver tongued charmers.

9. Goldfinger62

Goldfinger62 Member

I don't like neck binding on any guitar that doesn't have a bound body. BC Rich made the bound neck mistake on their later USA models. My formula: No body binding = no neck binding. A bound body with an unbound neck is fine. Neck binding feels great, but a rolled fretboard edge feels even better. e.g. Music Man EVH / Axis.

10. phretbored

phretbored Member

PRSH is a baller in the guitar nerd sense!

Interesting and creative types can certainly be awkward and quirky but that's part of their wiring and etc

His sense of design is awesome and I like that he keeps pushing to try new things with their instruments.

As a PRS guitar fan it has been a fascinating journey enjoying many of the various models they have produced over the years while watching the company grow and change.

I think it's great that Paul gets out and about championing his brand.

His success is well earned and the story behind it all is great too.

I am still a huge fan of the 80s Custom 24s.

The various 594 models have really caught my attention but I haven't played any yet

AaeCee and Bluplirst like this.
  11. Paleolith54

Paleolith54 Member

I stated what I disliked about interviews with PRS and guitar-related interviews in general; how can you disagree with that? It's like disagreeing if I said "I dislike mustard, but I really hate ketchup." When it comes to what I like or don't like, I'm pretty sure I get it right every time.

jamme61 likes this.
  12. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

I knew someone would make this remark. I'm sure PRS has no idea who I am, unless he's read some of my articles somewhere. ;)

m.e. likes this.
  13. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

As far as I know, Paul reads a lot of stuff online as well. I saw in an interview before where he spoke about all the internet myths that people talk about in regards to PRS or guitars in general.

Despite his personality or coming off as a little 'off' or 'strange' I have actually learned some things from his interviews that I did not know of before. He is worth listening to at times, even if its a little inarticulate.

14. Pointy Headstock

Pointy Headstock Member

Having met both PRS and Steve Jobs multiple times, the comparison between the two is accurate. Both make/made seriously beautiful things, but both go/went out of the way to be complete dicks to people when there's been no call for it.

jamme61 likes this.
  15. NortheastHick

NortheastHick Supporting Member

I wouldn't spend 2 seconds listening to the owner of any Guitar Company.

Either I like a certain brands guitars or I don't. I don't get persuaded by a 70 year olds sales pitch.

PRS makes some of my favorite guitars but I don't give a damn about some old guys sales pitch or "philosophy" . Its a guitar FFS.

Gevalt likes this.
  16. VintagePlayerStrat

VintagePlayerStrat Supporting Member

I'm a pretty experienced interviewer and that would have driven me crazy. Good on that young man for not losing his patience with Paul.

Weird indeed. A combo of obtuse, know-it-allism and know-nothingism.

A few minutes into it, I made sure to change strings on a guitar to do something productive. Otherwise, a wasted 18 minutes of life. haha.

So are some USA PRS now finished in nitro, or all? Paul rambled on so much that was never really specified.

m.e., jamme61 and T92780 like this.
  17. superstratjunky

superstratjunky Member

This...
    & this.

I remember a guy saying "You didn't build that.... Somebody else made that happen..."

No dude, Paul built that company. His designs & his hard work made that happen.

That's just the engineer in him seeing the flaws of the design.

Tim didn't think that.

FIFY.;)

We don't want to include the murderous serial killers & pedophiles.

You hate it that there's something else out there that's not a Gibson,, huh? Authentic right?

Noise Under The Floor likes this.
  18. Paleolith54

Paleolith54 Member

“The guy doesn’t even play. Poseur.”

19. Gig Young

Gig Young It's not about the clown Silver Supporting Member

Cool, interesting guy!

20. phretbored

phretbored Member

...and this cat designs/builds my favorite amps...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Reinhold Bogner

He seems to be on that edge of genius and madness like PRSH.

i wouldn't change a thing about either Paul or Reinhold because they are tapping deep into their creative side and we get to enjoy the results.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
  21. Craig Walker

Craig Walker "Anger, fear, aggression. The Bark Side are they" Gold Supporting Member

Paul is a jokester if you've ever met him. I think he just likes pushing people for reactions.

I don't see anything ill-willed here, nor I have ever seen such from him. The guy seemed to give a few jabs back. :)

DreamTheaterRules likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.