Paul Reed Smith weird

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jamme61, Jan 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VintagePlayerStrat

VintagePlayerStrat Supporting Member

Better. But I still didn't learn jack about his guitars. I'm not saying he has to give the hard sell, but some basic info would be worthwhile. He was referring to some type of new finish here too, but we never heard what it was.

2. Antmax

Antmax Member

Being a Brit I notice that Americans usually arent that blunt and straight to the point and will talk swings and roundabouts to avoid offending anyone. Germans and Dutch people are the opposite while Brits like myself are somewhere in the middle.

I think Paul is confident a bit brash in what he knows, both pretty common American traits. But he is also quite blunt and to the point about it which is less common except among more successful people, or at least people with big egos. When you factor in that he's a bit of a quirky eccentric I can see how he can irritate some people and rub them the wrong way.

I never liked Steve Jobs, felt he took a lot of credit for other peoples work (Most of the iconic designs for past Apple products were mostly due to a British product designer ;) and I found him quite unpleasant.

Used to think the same of Paul and never even sniffed at his guitars till I got a bad back and found a Zach Myers SE that was the perfect alternative to my Les Paul. Loved that guitar and started paying more notice of the brand. I usually find Paul quite interesting with quite fun anecdotes. Sometimes they seem a bit far fetched but still interesting. I get the impression that people really into the brand probably fawn over him a little too much which gives him a bit of bloated head syndrome. But I do kind of like him, like an eccentric slightly crochety uncle into mansplaining lol. Don't take it too seriously and he can be fun.

stratadp, Pauljudej and Matt L like this.
  3. Guru Meditation

Guru Meditation Member

Wow. You should have told him that you didn't like it but you bought it hoping and wishing that someday you'd meet him in person to tell you that he didn't like it either.

Bassopotamus likes this.
  4. WhiskeyWhiskers

WhiskeyWhiskers Member

Just hearing him talk has made me never want to play his guitars.

hitchcockblonde, mikebat and T92780 like this.
  5. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

I think this is the most intelligent reply I've read so far in this thread.

jamme61, mikebat and halcyon like this.
  6. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

7. Cup of Cheese

Cup of Cheese Member

I just bought a brand new PRS DGT. Included in the case candy was a 10x12 headshot of Paul Reed Smith with his name underneath

??????

mikebat likes this.
  8. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

I think it's cool that he still does interviews, but seems pretty bored by it all--maybe time to pass that responsibility on to others?

9. GtrGeorge!

GtrGeorge! Member

I find his guitar designs pretty...but nothing that is light years ahead of any other popular brands. Just saying,

10. Gevalt

Gevalt Member

The only one using the H-word is you. Putting words into other's mouths is typical-TGP so please resist the urge, thanks.:beer

11. SupremeDalek

SupremeDalek Member

I've met and hung out with Paul a couple of times. He's a great dude to be around. I've never seen him turn down a customer who wanted to have a chat, no matter the content. He's a total gear junkie and huge guitar nerd, so that makes him interesting enough for me. I found him to be open and direct. As a matter of fact I'd have to say that guy in the videos is the same guy everywhere. That's his genuine self, no question.

Also he makes a badass guitar! Glad to be a fan/owner.

detroiter711 and AaeCee like this.
  12. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

He’s the next Henry J

13. circle_o_5ths

circle_o_5ths Member

Starting to figure out why Joe Knaggs wanted out.

14. 1BlinkGone

1BlinkGone Member

Bought my first two PRS guitars in 1988....there have been uhh, a few more PRS guitars I bought since then. Met Paul at NAMM in 1990 after buying my Signature 24. Nice man.

Have owned numerous Fender Stratocasters. We see builders like Ibanez, and others as well as Tyler, Suhr and Tom Anderson doing their takes on the Stratocaster (I've owned a few brilliant TomAnderson guitars.) None have suffered the bashing PRS has for the Silver Sky. So the bashing and attitudes are pretty unfair. But some people just like to whine and slag someone's good work...which is a good sign. Paul and John Mayer simply have engineered the BEST (IMO) take on a Stratocaster ever done. It's the little details that speak big. Every issue I'd ever had with a Strat has been addressed, as if by telepathy...and the pickups are incredible.

Out of the 10+ Stratocasters (and copy/variants) I've had, none could hold a candle the the Silver Sky that I recently demo'd, and bought last week. If people want to gripe, criticize and complain, it's their loss. I'll grin all the way to the stage...and keep grinning. And buy another.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    VaughnC likes this.
  15. GreatGreen

GreatGreen Member

I don't think Paul is the next Henry J because Paul, while not the best interviewee in the world, actually has tremendous talent as a luthier and designer. Henry J was just pants-on-head insane in that regard.

I think it's fair to say both that the Silver Sky is awesome (and it very much is... that neck profile and fingerboard edge contour alone... wow) along with most everything PRS puts out there, AND that there are things Paul could do to improve buyer perception, public image, etc.

16. Unadan

Unadan Member

If Paul is a TGP member maybe he could weigh in on this thread?

jamme61 likes this.
  17. Pointy Headstock

Pointy Headstock Member

I've had a hat trick of similar experiences:

1) Stopped by a local store not realizing that they were having a roadshow later that evening and PRS was already in the store (just me, the owner, and PRS). PRS was looking at pedals - specifically a Hartmann Flanger. I told PRS that I had called and talked to a Theo Hartmann at one point about the flanger and that Theo had told me it was a modified Mistress circuit. PRS scowled at me and told me that literally "I didn't know what I was talking about"- he had taken apart dozens of Mistresses and the Hartmann he was playing in the store sounded nothing like any of them". Maybe it was that PRS amp you were trying it thru Paul?

2) Had my MC58 at a local store when PRS was there doing a roadshow. He got a chance to handle and play my guitar and his comments to me were "This is a perfect example of an MC58...Had I played this at the factory I would have kept it in the PRS vault". No smile on his face, no "congratulations", it was clear from his voice and the way he thrust the guitar back at me that he seemed disappointed that the guitar had ended up with a nobody like me.

3) Went to yet a different roadshow (the first to show the 594) and brought a limited edition SE (first generation semi hollow with an ebony fretboard, bound neck and headstock, and bigsby) with me to get a picture taken with it and PRS. PRS kind of got a blank look on his face when I took it out of it's bag and said "I didn't know we made anything like this" and proceeded to study it intently. I had changed the pickups in it from the OEM G&B humbuckers to Lollar Single Coil for Humbuckers...and that seemed to really irritate him. He spent about two minutes giving me a raft of crap over the pickup change until he plugged it in and admitted that the pickups worked really well in the guitar. Never really said anything else about the guitar and handed it back. During the Q&A part of the show, some guy asked if there was really a huge difference between the SE and Core line. PRS gave a rambling non answer, but then pointed to me asked to borrow my SE (a model that he had never seen until an hour before) and then promptly pointed out to everyone that "this guy had to change the pickups, so it's not exactly how it should be" :rolleyes:. By this point, I pretty much figured that Paul was going to do something like this, so it didn't irritate me like 1) and 2) did.

jamme61 likes this.
  18. Mark Ray

Mark Ray The RockTrain Gold Supporting Member

I haven't read every post in this thread. I've met Paul a few times, and enjoyed his banter and his sharing of knowledge.

With that, I'll say it again: PRS is like a few other subjects on The Gear Page-THERE DOESN'T SEEM TO BE ANY MIDDLE GROUND!

Noise Under The Floor likes this.
  19. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

I've worked around engineers too long. Paul is no more awkward than any of them he just gets put in front of the camera.

20. TubeStack

TubeStack Supporting Member

Aspergers/“on the spectrum”?

DrumBob likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.