1. The target date for the upgrade is August 11, 2020. We expect a few hours of downtime during that process. We will post on Twitter and Facebook to keep everyone updated on the progress.
    Dismiss Notice

PAUL REED SMITH

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Tag, Aug 1, 2020.

1. les_paul

les_paul Member

I prefer the S2 line. Most, if not all of the playability at more reasonable prices although they have increased in recent years. Still competitive with Gibson's Studio series price point though.

BluesBUSTER and CassetteTape like this.
  2. Gforce013

Gforce013 Silver Supporting Member

I have 2 custom 22s also a 513 and a dc3 . They all sound so good. However i stil love my teles And les Paul’s. I just play the prs guitars the most. Also I have a couple of music man guitars that are very well made but the necks are so small.

CassetteTape likes this.
  3. JDutch

JDutch Member

PRS totally f*cked me on an $11,000 private stock build. Even as a person who was born and raised in Maryland and who has been a lifelong customer, I'll never buy anything from PRS again.

4. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

There are some really good ideas from PRS for sure! But for me it just isn't a great Gibson. There is a feel difference and there in lies the issue for me.
    I've owned quite a few excellent guitars ,especially the SC Hollow Body Std.

But I just don't bond with their neck shapes. They always are a bit on the narrow width and small shoulder side of what I prefer.
    I once ran into Paul himself at a local store and asked him about it. He said to go through his Custom Shop. I replied"I'm a Musician not a Magician!" $10k Large for a custom neck?

They do seem to appeal to everyone else?

fenderball likes this.
  5. jrockbridge

jrockbridge Member

Congrats on your PRS! I’m sure it’s a great instrument.

Most PRS are too gaudy for my tastes. And, I have an aversion to bird inlays. But, they do make a few understated models with dot inlays instead of birds. Perhaps, one day, I’ll buy one of the simpler designs.

6. The Pup

The Pup Supporting Member

Even for myself, I am uncertain; as I have not experienced them all.

7. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs Silver Supporting Member

When you play a bunch, and one brand consistently is better than anything else you try, it BECOMES your favorite. ;)

8. pjrhd28

pjrhd28 Silver Supporting Member

I' ve had a whole bunch of them- currently snooping around for a Custom 24 (maybe Sig or Artist I). I think he got it so right with that platform.

The RW necked ones were always too dark, but I loved the feel. Both IRW and BRW. Best neck was on the 513- but that guitar was a little sterile.

I don't know that any maker makes the best guitars; that's really hard to say. I've bought and sold maybe close to a dozen. And again, always snooping for the right Cu 24.

Like the guitars or not, he (PRS) changed the electric guitar world in a good way for all of us; he upped the ante (a lot like Bob Taylor on the acoustic side). Imagine someone asking you (in 1985) to invest in a company (starting from nothing) that was going to build high end electric guitars that were clones of nothing. You would have thought they were out of their mind.

9. bokeh

bokeh Member

[​IMG]

10. Rockin J

Rockin J Member

I know a dude that can paint that thing for you.
    Maybe a nice dark color that wouldn’t show through Lol

11. The bear

The bear Member

I own two, they both had some minor issues, but overall great guitars. They are not my favorite guitars in terms of sound and I own other guitars that are better made and sound better as well.
    I have played some private stocks that were top notch.

FlyingVBlues, Bertiman and Tag like this.
  12. Unexplainedbacon

Unexplainedbacon Member

Love my CU24 but I wish the back of the neck was satin. Other than that it’s pretty awesome

uab9253 likes this.
  13. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Supporting Member

14. Artie Fisk

Artie Fisk Member

PRS are very nice if you like that sort of thing, but for my money, I’d rather not play the guitar at all than play one of those. Aesthetically, they are everything I hate. Not liking how they sound and feel doesn’t help, either. They just scream “trying too hard” to me.

skovach623 and skinvoyager like this.
  15. WorstBandNameEver

WorstBandNameEver Supporting Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    http://protocolguitarworks.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/PRS-NORTHEN-LIGHTS.jpg

PRS make great guitars and I like them a lot. I appreciate the attention to detail in all the ones I have owned. I'm really happy with my 594 which is a sibling to the one seen above.

I can certainly see they aren't for everyone though, but I'm more than happy with the ones I have now and the ones I will likely have down the road.

superstratjunky and Cgkindler like this.
  16. Aslan

Aslan Silver Supporting Member

I own several PRS guitars and have to agree with Tag, their the best.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  17. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Absolutely. Its Rosewood. Pure tone.
    I may have adjusted the truss rod once since I bought it. They just don't move.
    :banana

niassist and CassetteTape like this.
  18. Tag

8.5k.
    :)
    And yes. I play them!
    :beer

19. FennRx

FennRx Member

Go on....

Batch, Neptical, MrJMeadows and 3 others like this.
  20. Tag

Its a Private stock, which is built better than any Collings I have played, and thats a lot.
    Collings makes beautiful guitars, but I have preferred 335s and R9s big time over their similar models. Of course YMMV, and thats fine!
    :beer

superstratjunky and CassetteTape like this.