Paul Sherwen - RIP

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Terry Hayes, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Terry Hayes

Terry Hayes Member

Sadly, the cycling commentator and former pro rider passed away Sunday evening at his home in Uganda. No cause of death has been given yet but a post on Cyclingnews mentioned unexpected heart failure. This has not been confirmed anywhere however.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/paul-sherwen-dies-aged-62/

Cycling coverage won't be quite the same. I always enjoyed his commentary and he seemed like a very genuine person.

jnepo1, shane8, TrevorR and 1 other person like this.
  2. Terry Hayes

Terry Hayes Member

In tribute, here are few classic "Sherwen-isms":

"He's really having to dig deeply into the suitcase of courage"
    “He's all over his machine”
    "He probably got a whiff of the alcohol on that man's breath and needed some fresh air." - said while Pantani elbows a running spectator in the '97 Tour
    "The sprinter's seem to have a serious allergy. An allergy to mountain roads."

Uncle Bob and shane8 like this.
  3. WeAreOurGear

WeAreOurGear Member

The voice of cycling for ages. He and phill ligget are like an old married couple. They have narrated my cycling interests for years. RIP.

Uncle Bob and Terry Hayes like this.
  4. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

Oh man, this one hits hard. The guy was the best in the business. So young too.

July won't be the same.

Uncle Bob and AaeCee like this.
  5. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

A big +1! I'm totally bummed. He and Liggett were a fantastic team. Paul will be sadly and sorely missed.

6. s2y

s2y Member

Very bummed with the news. Phil and Paul were a huge part of my cycling experience. I know a lot of stick in the mud people who weren't fans. Outside of being in a race, cycling can be boring and you need commentators to animate things, especially when there are such stacked teams that dominate everything.

Uncle Bob likes this.