• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Paul Simon

Papanate

I like Simon and Garfunkel more than either
by themselves. Together they had musical
magic.

I also think that Simon gets all the recognition he
deserves - he's highly respected as a touchstone writer
for a lot of American's.

I think the 'controversy' over what Steve Berlin claims
versus what Paul Simon doesn't claims is for those two to sort out.
The biggest chink in the armor is on Berlin - if it really was their song
and they could prove it they would of - in court.

I think what really went on is they got paid to work with Simon
as 'work for hire' - which means any music that transpired was
Simon's to do whatever he wished. Since they didn't sue or raise the
issue until well after the album hit big - I have to say it certainly sounds like
they forgot about /or reconsidered their 'work for hire' arrangement. And then
some money grubber in their camp thought it would be a good idea to tap
the gold mine that Graceland had become.

korby

Lacking the " cool persona " and a bit of sex appeal otherwise just as good as the top writers mentioned . Oh and he knew he was good makes people want to take him down a peg . Plagiarizing beloved folk songs also pissed off a few countries .

loudboy

I think what really went on is they got paid to work with Simon as 'work for hire' - which means any music that transpired was Simon's to do whatever he wished.

There's a longer account, where the label head pretty much begs them to come and play, as a favor.

They fart around for a day and call him to tell him they won't be back, and he keeps begging them...

The second day, they show Simon "Myth" and he likes it.

Of course, we'll never know, but if you can't picture David Hidalgo singing that melody, you've not familiar enough w/Los Lobos' work to weigh in, IMHO.

Fatherflot

This is one of the greatest albums ever recorded. Start to finish. Masterpiece.

And talk about leading the way in pop! Reggae, Latin Boogaloo, Django-style gypsy jazz, etc. right next to Bach-inspired acoustic compositions. And the lyrics! As Robert Christgau wrote way back in '72: "This is a professional tour of Manhattan for youth culture grads, complete with Bella Abzug, hard rain, and people who steal your chow fong."

"Peace Like a River" may be the absolute pinnacle of his catalog.

Last edited:

loudboy

This is one of the greatest albums ever recorded. Start to finish. Masterpiece.

And talk about leading the way in pop! Reggae, Latin Boogaloo, Django-style gypsy jazz, etc. right next to Bach-inspired acoustic compositions. And the lyrics! As Robert Christgau wrote way back in '72: "This is a professional tour of Manhattan for youth culture grads, complete with Bella Abzug, hard rain, and people who steal your chow fong."

"Peace Like a River" may be the absolute pinnacle of his catalog.

"Duncan" is a masterpiece.

Flogger59

^
My father was a fisherman
My mama was a fisherman's friend

Fishermans-Friend.jpg

DRS

I'll put Paul Simon up there with Lennon/McCartney and Dylan. His output was strong through the 80s. Maybe not now. McCartney's writing since Wings ended hasn't done anything for me. Dylan has been hit or miss in the 80s and later.

sanhozay

klon free since 2009
Gold Supporting Member
paul simon has an estimated networth of $45 million

pretty sure he's in "the league"

Zandalf

I don't remember
For whatever reason, successful and famous people are sometimes not necessarily the nicest people. Now, I think Paul Simon has written some truly great songs: America, Homeward Bound, a bunch of songs on "Bookends", The Boxer, Late In The Evening, et. al.... (figures the gorgeous song, "American Tune", has a melody borrowed from Bach - but then, Bach borrowed it too!)

In the early 1990's, I worked as a P.A. on a TV show tribute (to a foreign dignitary) that had loads of celebrities giving little speeches or singing a song. Paul Simon was one of the performers, and when it was getting close to where Paul would go on, the producer asked me to go up to him and make sure he knew that he was "on deck". Paul was standing in a line behind the person he would follow and, as I approached him, somehow, I got a bad feeling! I told "Mr. Simon" that the producer had asked me to tell him that he was next after the person in front of him. Well, there was a program for the event, and Paul had one in his hand. He pointed to where his name was on the program, and with a snarky and sarcastic inflection told me: "I CAN READ!"... I apologized, and repeated that I was only telling him this because the producer had told me to tell it to him (& all the time thinking that how uncomfortable this was for me, especially since I really love a lot of Paul's music).

I've also heard elsewhere that he's a "difficult" individual, and he certainly was in my little confrontation. Now anyone can be having a bad day, a bad moment, or just feeling grouchy, but I found that there's more celebrities, in general, that are gracious and respectful, than are not. Actually, I find actors to often be nicer than musicians... what's up with that?!

And I'll bet, of all the geniuses mentioned in this post, that probably only Paul McCartney would be genuinely pleasant to hang with...

Flogger59

There's a longer account, where the label head pretty much begs them to come and play, as a favor.

They fart around for a day and call him to tell him they won't be back, and he keeps begging them...

The second day, they show Simon "Myth" and he likes it.

Of course, we'll never know, but if you can't picture David Hidalgo singing that melody, you've not familiar enough w/Los Lobos' work to weigh in, IMHO.

I am pretty sure that Los Lobos came under a lot of pressure from Waronker and Ostin not to sue inside 'the family'.

Neer

Silver Supporting Member
I'll put Paul Simon up there with Lennon/McCartney and Dylan. His output was strong through the 80s. Maybe not now. McCartney's writing since Wings ended hasn't done anything for me. Dylan has been hit or miss in the 80s and later.

For me, some of his best work has been in the last 10 years. Surprise, So Beautiful Or So What, and You're The One (OK, more than 10 years) all have some masterpieces on them. Like this one:

trainwrecker

Paul Simon wrote great lyrics but he wrote great hooks too, acoustic guitar hooks, that always stuck with me.

And "Bridge Over Troubled Water" has to be one of the most beautiful songs of all time, comparable to anyone. My 2c

bigeric

Silver Supporting Member
I am currently in a workshop for a Paul Simon show in Vegas. His songwriting is very complex. His writing is as good as it gets.

Teleking

Silver Supporting Member
paul simon has an estimated networth of $45 million

pretty sure he's in "the league"

Justin Bieber is said to be worth 100 million. I don't think how much a musician is worth is an indicator of talent.

sanhozay

klon free since 2009
Gold Supporting Member
Justin Bieber is said to be worth 100 million. I don't think how much a musician is worth is an indicator of talent.

i suppose you're right & make a more legitimate point tan i did. but PS made it the old fashion way - selling records and writing songs.

if anything, paul simon circumvented his twilight to be a dad. he doesn't have a mad genius past like brian wilson, or near the insane appeal & charisma of paul mccartney {although he was always hysterical on SNL}, but he's still well adored.

bearbike137

Paul Simon is a lot like Ray Davies: a huge and important talent, but immensely insecure and a major douche bag.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom