Pawn Shop - Gibson Custom ES355

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mslmg, Sep 26, 2008.

1. mslmg

mslmg Member

A local pawn shop has a 2007 Gibson ES-355 in antique cherry, gold hardware with Bigsby and case that is in mint condition for $2000. According to the original receipt that was in the case, the guitar was purchased from GC in 04/2007 for approx. $3,500. There was no COA in the case. I an seriously considering pulling the trigger on this one, but I have never purchased from a pawn shop before......any advice? The pawn shop would not let me write down the serial number.......do you think it's hot?
    Mike

Update:
    Thanks everyone for your comments.
    I resolved all my questions/concerns and bought the guitar yesterday evening. Brought the band together and gave it it a good 3 to 4 hour workout last night........1st impression is it plays smooth and sounds great. This is my first hollow-body so it will take time to figure it out. It did take some time to get use to the neck......seems like there is a lot of it. Also the guitar rides up higher than I like so I need to invest in a longer strap. Visually it's a great looking guitar. Like I said, condition-wise, it is exceptionally clean with light pick marks on the pickguard only. The case does not have a mark on it. It is a 2006 model.

Question: I want to add straplocks however the thickness of the Bigsby bracket that surrounds the strap button makes the Schaller strap lock too short. Anyone know of an extension kit that allows the strap lock to protrude beyond the Bigsby bracket?

I'll post pics later tonight.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2008
  2. Wildwind

Wildwind Silver Supporting Member

That would be my suspicion, as they won't give you the s/n. I'm in a smaller town, but have already found several pieces in such shops to be hot. And some years back my house was broken into - ten days later everything was found in two different pawn shops about two miles apart.

Yeah, I know they have to hold stuff and report such acquisitions - but it isn't a system that seems to work.

But if it's not, I'd say it's a great deal at that price. Tempting...

3. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

Wow, that's a hot deal, probably in more ways than one, but technically if you can live with it morally, you'll be getting a great deal. If you decide to sell it at a later date, block out serial numbers on eBay and/or Craigslist as you could possibly lose the guitar.

4. HRydarcik

HRydarcik Member

Call you local law enforcement and have them check it out...the pawn shop has to give them the serial number so they can check to see if it's stolen.

5. HRydarcik

HRydarcik Member

6. auraelux

auraelux Member

dude, so many bands I tour with have gotten thier crap stolen it's sad when you see this happen. In fact this looks like the thieves and the shop are working together.

I guess if you can live with it, go for it

7. auraelux

auraelux Member

8. mslmg

mslmg Member

I searched some stolen guitar database's and came up empty.

What I don't understand, if the guitar was stolen why would they have the original GC receipt in the case with the purchaser's name on it? That could suggest that the original owner pawned the guitar and used the receipt to negotiate the value? Will the lack of COA hurt resale?

9. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

I've never received a used guitar with a COA and I've paid plenty. :D Go get it! You got the ES-335 bug!

10. jtm622

jtm622 Member

It's just ingrained in pawn shop people not to give up very much info on items...
    They are that way whether they suspect the item to be "hot" or not.
    That said, I've never seen a receipt from GC without the buyer's name on it...

11. soulohio

soulohio Member

yea, that is sweet...wish i could justify nothing but expensive guitars...but that one axe costs more than the 7 guitars I already own.

12. 02Singlecut

02Singlecut Supporting Member

Pawns are usually required to put a Law Enforcement hold on stuff.

13. All Hallows

All Hallows Member

If you think it's stolen then I suggest you pass. Not only will you be continuing that cycle but you will be reinforcing that particular behavior. People who steal and cheat shouldn't be rewarded. If this guitar was legit then I don't think the Pawn shop would or should mind giving you more info.

Imagine that every time you pull out this guitar you are going to think it was someone elses and therefore never rightfully yours even though you payed fairly for it. Plus, not having a COA is a big deal and will affect the guitars value.

14. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

So, how is $3100 (+$76 shipping) cheaper than $2000?

That's a great deal. I'm pretty sure it's up to the shop to determine whether it's hot or not. It's not like anyone's knowingly buying stolen goods. In fact, odds are it's perfectly legit. The only reason I don't buy from pawns anymore is I never see good deals around here. In fact, when the pawn shops get anything good in, they know they can get more money on ebay.

15. highrise

highrise Member

In my state, Pawn Brokers must hold, and alert police to, ANYTHING they give more than $250 for. The reason being, if it's worth more than $250 and it's stolen, it's evidence in a felony case. They are trying to stop felonys, not small stuff. (this guitar should have gone thru that process. I'd bet you it's fine. A pawn brokers license is tantamount to printing money...they won't KNOWINGLY put it on the line for a few grand (or less). If it's hot, you're not dealing with the owner.)

That said...there are dishonest people in all professions.

IME/O the main reason to not bother with pawn shops. They take locally...they sell nationally...that's the profitable business model.

16. HRydarcik

HRydarcik Member

Sorry...I misread his post and thought it was $3,500....for two grand that's a great deal...I'd still get the local police to check it out though...they pawnshop has to by law.

17. Drew68

Drew68 Supporting Member

Yeah, eBay has taken all the fun out of pawn shops. You used to be able to find some pretty good scores. Now, all the pawn shops I've been to in the last few years seem to have a surplus of $75 Lotus Stratocasters (complete with broken e-string and skateboard stickers) and 20 year-old Gorilla amps.

The days of finding steals in pawn shops on quality instruments seem to be over. The pawnbrokers are all on line at their shops and know exactly what they're dealing with.

I remember when pawn shops were the guitar stores in many cities and you could find the walls lined with CBS-era Strats, Norlin Les Pauls and Marshall Super Leads stacked in the corner --and all for sale in the sub $500 price range. Not anymore.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2008
  18. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

You bet. When I was a kid pawns were magical. We actually used to have someone drop us off downtown Los Angeles to spend a couple of hours or more just drooling over all the beautiful guitars in the pawn ships. Nothing was "vintage" back then, just used. Pawns were the first places I saw Marshall amps, Ric 12 Strings, Les Pauls, you name it. I guess the vintage stores have pretty much assumed that role today. Or maybe some of the bigger dealers that actually stock a lot of used gear. None near me I'm afraid.

19. mslmg

mslmg Member

Update:
    Thanks everyone for your comments.
    I resolved all my questions/concerns and bought the guitar yesterday evening. Brought the band together and gave it it a good 3 to 4 hour workout last night........1st impression is it plays smooth and sounds great. This is my first hollow-body so it will take time to figure it out. It did take some time to get use to the neck......seems like there is a lot of it. Also the guitar rides up higher than I like so I need to invest in a longer strap. Visually it's a great looking guitar. Like I said, condition-wise, it is exceptionally clean with light pick marks on the pickguard only. The case does not have a mark on it. It is a 2006 model.

Question: I want to add straplocks however the thickness of the Bigsby bracket that surrounds the strap button makes the Schaller strap lock too short. Anyone know of an extension kit that allows the strap lock to protrude beyond the Bigsby bracket?

I'll post pics later tonight.

20. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

You can compensate by getting a few(how ever many needed) washers and /or spacer from the local hardware store and a little bit longer screw. Just an idea.