Pawn Shop score: Ibanez Artist 2629 in need of TLC

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Zero_, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Zero_

Zero_ Member

It has finally happened! After reading all these posts about your pawn shop scores and whining "why not me" ...

I saw an Ibanez Artist 2629 (the non-deluxe version of the 2630 with chrome hardware) in a local pawn shop. The thing was in quite rough shape, without strings and like it had been in a basement somewhere for years. Apparently hadn't been played for years. But -- the wood/finish was superb, the frets looked ok and the neck was straight (without strings, at least).

Unfortunately, the thing was up for auction on ebay -- together with some solid state amp from the 80's and a Boss SD-1 (taiwan). So I had to wait a couple of days before getting it :D

This is how it looked:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

After a sunday of some TLC, this is the result:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I can't tell you how happy I am! It plays awesome and sounds really cool. Still need to change the pots, as the are a little bit too scratchy after all and adjust some things here and there.

All in all I think I succeeded in turning a neglected 30 year old guitar into a playable instrument, while keeping its mojo!

Big thanks to chucke99, who showed me how beautiful this instrument can be with the pics on his website ;)

Greetings from Switzerland,
    ~Lorenz

p.s.
    Sorry about the amount of pics in this thread, but I thought:

:worthless , so:

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. ghost

ghost Member

Great score- looks just like my axe- only I don't have the "cloud" tailpiece...

What year is it?

How do you like the stock hums?- I have Z-90's in mine right now...

Awsome guitar!!!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2008
  3. 5E3

5E3 Member

Very cool! Congrats! :AOK

4. Zero_

Zero_ Member

Thanks!

It's a 1979 model... It has the original Super 80 pickups... their chrome covering has desintegrated in some regions, no there is some copper or brass (?) shining through.

So far I like pickups ok, but I haven't had enough time to thorougly test them, as I've only had it for 4 days. The neck pickup gives you some nice "woman tone" with the treble rolled back a bit.. really sings.

[​IMG]

5. gitman

gitman Member

i owned it's bigger (nicer...) sister way back when , the 2630 and i remember it wheighed quite a lot.... a beautiful guitar though and a great tone. congrats to your find and what you made out of it ! 70's and 80's Ibanez and Yamaha guitars are wonderful + affordable instruments and luckily they are not yet as popular with the MTV kids as they could be .... uff wiade luage ;-)

6. JohnnyL

JohnnyL Member

Cool Score-Enjoy the guitar!

Johnny

7. teleman65

teleman65 Member

Sweeeeeet guitar

8. Zero_

Zero_ Member

Thanks for the replies guys!

Absolutely! I was also amazed how much it weighs.. Quite a bit more than a standard ES-335, from what I remember from last time a played one.

What's also something new for me with this guitar is the brass / bone combined nut. Do you think this is positive for the sound? Can't really judge it just yet...

9. Jagsound

Jagsound Member

Man, you've done a great job with that axe!

It looks great, and I'm glad it plays well, as any changes to get the tone you want can all be easily purchased and fitted, which wouldn't be the case if the guitar was fundamentally stuffed in some way. Good score!

10. Trego

Trego Member

you said that it was a score...how much did you end up paying for it?

11. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

Yeah, how much?

I am soooooooo in love with OLD AND NEW IBANEZ Hollowbodies

I have envy right now!

BTW 70s Ibanez Strats can be unreal as well, down to the pups

12. Pa'ani

Pa'ani Supporting Member

Killer score and congratulations on your rejuvenated Ibanez Artist 2629.
    Great job on the TLC...

13. trwigg

trwigg Member

Great score and it cleaned up nicely. Hope the electronics stay functional for you. Congratulations!

14. chucke99

chucke99 Member

You did a fantastic job with this guitar. Congratulations. I own both a 2629 and a 2630, and they are the same size/weight. The 2629 is a "lower end" model, with less binding (none in the F holes or around the headstock, that is), dots instead of block inlays, and chrome hardware instead of gold, but IMHO every bit as good a player as the 2630. I should know. I play both a lot, but when it comes time to take one out to play somewhere, the 2629 gets the nod. I love the sound of the original Super 80s and wouldn't put any other pups in it.

I was drooling over this eBay auction myself and glad it ended up with someone who cares about the guitar. Again, I can't congratulate you enough on the clean-up job you did on this.

(Anyone who wants to see my 2629 and 2630, just follow the link in my sig.)

And here's a great 1978 catalog page scan showing both models. Mmmmmm:

http://s93105080.onlinehome.us/Ibanez-Catalogs/catalog/1978/07.jpg

Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
  15. Zero_

Zero_ Member

Thanks for the compliments, it was really worth the effort and the WD-40 :D . Actually, one thing that helped a lot against rust was aluminium foil dipped in water.. works really great.

It's so satisfying to restore an old guitar. It's the first time I do it, but I can tell you it won't be the last! I have to confess I'm almost happy I got it in rough shape, as now I will have a close bond with this instrument :) Besides that, the price was probably considerably lower.

About the price: The ebay auction was for the guitar, a cheapish Ibanez transistor amp from the 80's (?), as well as some newer items in excellent shape: a Boss pedal and a couple of Neutrik cables. I won the auction for 1000 Swiss Francs. Discounting the value I assume for all the other items, I'd say I paid the equivalent of 700 US$ for the guitar.

For you in the USA, that must be a moderately high price, considering the condition. But these guitars (similar models) usually sell for over 1500$ here in Switzerland.. *if* you can find one! The good thing is I had the opportunity to inspect the instrument before placing my bid and paid zero shipping charges. I other words, I knew the neck was straight and wood and frets in good shape, so the risk was manageable.

@chucke99: Thanks for the link to the scanned catalog page. I had already stumbled upon it While researching the guitar, and it was very helpful. Btw, the seller (pawn shop owner) also figured out which was the guitar's exact model thanks to your site :D

16. Rumble

Rumble Instrumental Rocker Silver Supporting Member

17. chucke99

chucke99 Member

A completely stock 2629 in good to very good condition in the US would go for between $900 and $1,100, IMO. The 2630 bumps up into the $1,500 range.

18. Zero_

Zero_ Member

Alright, then I did quite good with that price even compared to the US market :)

Btw, I think I will need to change some of the pots. They're a little bit scratchy.. Can anyone tell me which pot are used in this guitar?
    Otherwise I'll just check myself, but that way I can order the pots before unmounting everything.

Thanks,
    ~Lorenz