pay it forward

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by eddie knuckles, Mar 15, 2015.

1. eddie knuckles

eddie knuckles Member

I like to keep all my pedals, and selectively give away ones to nephews, friends, folks who come over, jam, like something and leave with a cool pedal (I will not do this with most of my "top shelf" stuff).

I just gave away my MXR '78 Badass Distortion to a girl who came over with my son and friend, saw my guitars and played through my board. She was "wikkid happy" as we say up here in New England...

Santa Claus factor, or paying it forward... whatever you want to call it. I like to encourage people to keep playing, find inspiration and walk toward it.

And yes, I am a pedal addict....

2. Fuzzr

Fuzzr Supporting Member

Good on you! I've given away a few acoustic guitars to young people just starting out, but no pedals yet.

3. eddie knuckles

eddie knuckles Member

We should all do this to the next generations and good friends on the soul search. Not to be self-congratulatory so much as to pass the torch of pedal addiction!!

4. jimbugg

jimbugg Supporting Member

I've loaned indefinitely my Warped Vinyl to a friend who came over, played it and loved it but didn't think he could afford one for himself. He makes it sound a lot better than me!

5. coltonius

coltonius SeƱor Member Silver Supporting Member

I used to do that. Every single person sold the pedal I gave them...

6. thecomposinator

thecomposinator Supporting Member

hahaha! That's awesome:

"hey guy, where's the pedal I gave you?"

"I sold it and bought a metal zone."

7. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Member

Yes! Stuff to the younger generations to keep them stoked...and to educates thems that there is some great stuff out there besides the new I-phone.

Gave away all my vinyl 100+ ...lots of hendrix, cream, quicksilver, dead and old 70's.
    A 1960's single ended el48, ptp combo that blows away any BJ.
    A 1949 single ended 6v6 ptp combo...like a champ 5c3...very tasty.
    A polished turd tele...squire with Wilde Bills keystones, piw cap, switches, and stripped and refinished with tung oil.
    Numerous pedals...rat, ge7, mxr m108 and others I don't remember.

Anyway, selling stuff is a pita...rather stoke a deserving young person...all recipients have been blown away.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
  8. Non-Digital Tom

Non-Digital Tom Member

I think that's more of a Massachusetts thing. We don't say that down here. :p

9. fendergeek

fendergeek Member

Very cool! I've done it a few times and the feeling is wikkid pissa (I'm on the Vineyard)!

10. small axe

small axe Member

wicked awesome. i try to do things like that

11. Non-Digital Tom

Non-Digital Tom Member

Yeah, I've also found that having that spirit of generosity, and giving something away when you feel moved to, somehow results with me ending up with even more gear.

It's kind of a paradox. I mean, I'm a gear junkie too. But if I'm too selfish and stingy with it, it sort of chokes the flow of gear that keeps coming in. Fewer good deals and opportunities, etc.

12. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for

I give away guitars as well. I love gifting instruments to people who will get better use of them than I do.

13. zetamkiii

zetamkiii Member

MXR '78 Badass Distortion? I could see why you were so eager to give that one away. After fees and shipping it's not even worth the time spent packing!

Not trying to sound hypocritical but as one who's frequently berated and accused of putting profits over people and having major personality disorders (believe it or not I have feelings, and although I understand we have conflicting beliefs, I've always refrained from personally insulting someone...) even I can't see what reason there is to be proud of infecting some naive kid with that level of tone suck?

And to view it as an act of kindness comparable Santa Claus no less? I must confess I found that statement rather perplexing to say the least! Keep telling yourself whatever it takes I suppose but at the cost of being able to look at myself in the mirror at least I made a profit!

14. dshobe

dshobe Rocky Mountain Way Silver Supporting Member

^^^ really? Surely you're trying to be funny?

15. gibs5000

gibs5000 Member

I do this with my 5 year old son. He doesn't play yet, but he likes to pretend to rock out a cool pedalboard like his dad. In response to the OP.

16. jordane93

jordane93 Member

I gave all my unsused pedals to my sister's boyfriend and his bandmates. I gave about 15 pedals away

17. to_be_released

to_be_released Member

I dislike the idea of selling gear. If I'm not using it, I'd rather loan it out (indefinitely) or give it away.

My old acoustic guitar currently lives at a student hostel. It's much more useful there than sitting at home getting neglected in favour of a couple of Martins. I loaned my brother my wah pedal for a couple of years - although he's now returned it to me after buying a wah of his own.

I was given a multieffects pedal a few years back, with the previous owner hoping that it would be used in our church (he was heading off to Oxford for a couple of years). After realising that I wasn't going to make use of it, I gifted it on to another guitarist from our church.

I was very disappointed, a couple of years later, to discover that the guy I gave it to traded it for a tattoo.

As such, I prefer indefinite loans - there's a slight extra barrier to people just hawking the gear.

18. to_be_released

to_be_released Member

You might always refrain from explicit personal insults, but a lot of your posts are full of implied insults and condescension, which is just as bad, in my view.

Someone does something nice for someone else, and you've found a way to criticize them for it, and insult anyone that happens to like the tone of the pedal given away.

It might be worth considering that not everyone has the same taste in tone and/or gear as you, and that your opinions are not any more valid than anyone else's on the matter.

19. critter74

critter74 Supporting Member

I hope this is an attempt at satire. Otherwise, you're kind of sounding like a fool.

OP- Good gesture. It always nice to be to help kids starting out or even older players who may not have the extra cash for gear to play with. If nothing else its just a nice gesture and not sure how anyone could see something so negative in it.

20. gibs5000

gibs5000 Member

agreed on all fronts