1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Payola Alive and Well at CBS

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Arnie Guitar, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Arnie Guitar

Arnie Guitar Member

So the CBS morning show had really been pumping the Julian Lennon appearance on their show yesterday. When it came time for his spot, they went into a big thing about "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds" being about a school mate of his. She's passed on, and Julian wrote a song about her on his new album, first one in 10 years I think they said. The song was OK, a little weak, but not terrible, just your usual song these days, all cowboy chord strumming, no one writes guitar "parts" anymore, just strum cowboy chords all song long and write a poem...but I digress. They followed it with a short, nice interview.

Then on the CBS Evening News (that's funny) last night, the last five minutes of the show was about...yep, ol' JL.

What a co-inky dink!

I see that CBS does this alot...like on their Sunday Morning show, they'll do a segment on an artist that hasn't been around in a while, and towards the end of the segment, invariably they'll just happen to mention a new CD or Tour the artist just happens to have coming up...

With every second being accounted for on TV these days, the only way CBS is going to show any artist is if they're getting paid by the artist's people to do it...they must have a cold call list, hey if you have a new CD/Tour coming up, would you like us to...

I know this isn't new, but it's the way CBS does it..."Remember So and So?, well, we just happened to interview them to see how they're doing (yeah right, you thought of it)...and their new CD comes out next week...

I know, I know...but it's just so lame.

Just admit it's a paid spot.

2. ScottR

ScottR Silver Supporting Member

What record label is JL on? Who is the parent Company? Is it a CBS Owned Company?

3. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

FWIW, that's what a song is, chords and a poem.

Those are the songs that sell. Not just nowadays- always has been.

If it's on a TV or radio station with an output of more than 12w- it's a paid spot. I could rant all day long about how the corporate monopolization of radio stations has ruined music- but all you'll get is "there's more great music out there than ever before, you need to look harder for good music."

4. puckhead

puckhead Member

I read the headline too quickly.
    I was kind of hoping this would be Payola$ related

5. hcole

hcole Member

I'd agree that it has ruined radio (nearly all of it anyway), but I do find new music that I love on a pretty regular basis so I can't agree that music has been ruined.

6. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

Bingo! This has been going on for years, nothing remotely new about it.

-Austin