Paypal Executives, may you burn in a lake of fire....

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by circusinthesky, Dec 24, 2009.

1. circusinthesky

circusinthesky Member

Got this email today. I've been ebaying and using paypal for almost ten years, with not one bad transaction or any issues with my bank not covering fees. I used to sell a lot of rare books, but mostly just do pedals and other private goods these days. In any case, I sent a lot of cash through ebay and paypal. No more, though. I will be using Amazon Payments from now on. Its free, and I admire Amazon's customer service and system design.

From Paypal.
    From now on, payments you receive will be temporarily held in a pending balance. This pending balance helps make sure that you'll have enough money in your account to cover any buyer claims.

Payments will be held in a pending balance for up to 21 days. For example, if you receive a $100 payment (after fees), the $100 will be held in a pending balance for up to 21 days. After 21 days, the money will be available for withdrawal.

The money may be released sooner if:
    We can confirm that the item was delivered
    Your buyer leaves positive feedback. (Applies only to eBay items.)

Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
  2. DavidLopezJr

DavidLopezJr Member

amazon payments? Free? Why wasnt I told sooner?

3. circusinthesky

circusinthesky Member

Must be a consipiracy. Here is the link.

4. WoodyStrat

WoodyStrat Supporting Member

Paypal/ebay has really gone to the buyers side of the equation with the seller paying all of the fees. They can keep it! 99% of the time craigslist works as good and no BS! Thanks for the amazon tip!!

5. Radiosdead

Radiosdead Member

6. BurnoutBright

BurnoutBright Member

A confirmation of delivery using a tracking number will release the funds in 3 days or a positive feedback from the buyer. I just sold an item in ebay and had this happen, I grudgingly accepted the term. I called ebay and they explained that this happens on random items or high risk items on accounts with fewer than 100 transactions.

7. circusinthesky

circusinthesky Member

Sure, sure. But, I have never had a delivery go missing, so I don't want to force buyers to pay for tracking, nor do I really want to foot the bill. I'd rather just use Amazon if it works out. Its new for me.

In summation....f'em.

8. Skreddy

Skreddy Member

I'm pretty sure this is for eBay only. In any event, I don't recall ever approving this change nor giving any of those bloodsuckers permission to hold MY MONEY away from me for ANY amount of time. I'm pretty sure this new term of theirs is illegal, and I'm looking forward to getting a share of the settlement whenever that comes down the line some day.

9. circusinthesky

circusinthesky Member

The following makes me suspect that its NOT eBay only, since it specifies the positive feedback applying to eBay. I would assume this is because eBay has the rating system which can indicate successful delivery, and non-eBay sales do not.

The money may be released sooner if:
    We can confirm that the item was delivered
    Your buyer leaves positive feedback. (Applies only to eBay items.)

10. coldfingaz

coldfingaz Member

Pretty sure this does only apply to Ebay auctions and to Ebay users with less than a 100 feedback rating. If that's the case, this rule has been in effect for some time, but I lost my mind over it as well a while back... until I got over the 100 rating (which is really your volume of transactions & has nothing to do with your feedback rating).

I didn't get any similar emails from Paypal, not that I've used either Ebay or Paypal all that recently. I'm definitely gonna check out that Amazon option, though. Thanks for posting that link, I knew nothing about this & have been a customer for years.

11. circusinthesky

circusinthesky Member

My feedback is 100% positive with 133 sales. Chump change in the whole scheme of things, but it's a reasonable indication of reliability.

12. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

yeah, I got this "surprise" on a recent ebay sale as well. I've been ebay'ing for over ten years, just not 100 transactions. Good thing I wasn't counting on having that money in time for Christmas, eh?

/rick

13. cj_wattage

cj_wattage Supporting Member

If you have more than 100 positive feedback, they don't hold the cash. You get it immediately.

I sold a pedal on eBay in October (for about $180, as I recall), and the funds were put on hold. I did tracking and all that, but the buyer wouldn't leave feedback, even after I sent him a couple messages (jerk). I finally called PayPal and raised hell, and they released the funds. They said some crap about leaving extra time in case the buyer wanted to return the item, but I pointed out that the conditions of sale on my auction were that no returns would be accepted for any reason, so they shut up and gave me my money.

At the time, I had 95 feedback. So I made some picks with my PickPunch, and got several of the guys at BYOC to buy them for $1 (for 5) to get my feedback over 100. Now there's no hold.

14. zosozep7

zosozep7 Gold Supporting Member

Hey all, I have been against Ebay and Paypal for many years as they own a monopoly on the auction markets. If this is true it does not suprise me one bit but I also remember when Paypal was free. If Amazon has that going on, it wont be free for long. Its only being used to pull people in and then the fees will incur. Nontheless, its great to see someone giving Ebay and Paypal competition!! We need more auction houses to appear. Ebay has gotten way out of hand the last 4 or 5 years. Ebay is trying to extinguish the small seller like all of us here. They're more after the buyers.

15. circusinthesky

circusinthesky Member

Well, here is a little more info from the PayPal site.

When do payment holds apply?
    Payment holds may be applied to some or all transactions in your account if PayPal perceives a risk associated with your account. Here are some common reasons for holding payments:

You have been an eBay and PayPal member for less than 6 months, and, have limited selling activity, or
    You have an eBay feedback score of less than 100, and do not have a record of good performance or
    You have a Buyer dissatisfaction percentage of 5% or greater than 5%, or
    You have an average Detailed Seller Rating (DSR) of less than 4.5, or
    You have received fewer than 20 Detailed Seller Ratings in the last 12 months, or
    You have a high rate of customer disputes
    You're selling in a high risk category or industry such as, but not limited to, tickets, travel, gift certificates, computers, consumer electronics, or cell phones
    You have a spike in selling activities or begin selling in a category without an established history

So, maybe the email was just informational, and does not apply to me personally.

16. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

I just received the same email from PayPal. I logged into my account and there's a message at the top of my account saying that the 21 day hold applies to me. I've had a PayPal account for at least 8 years. I have a premier verified account, a PayPal credit card, well over 100 eBay feedbacks and I'v never had a charge-back. :(:mad::mad::mad:

This makes me a very unhappy PayPal customer. I've had a lot of recent PayPal activity but not had much eBay activity lately because I've been doing all of my buying and selling through the Gear Page. Maybe they're punishing me.

This may be just what I need to motivate me to stop all the buying and selling of pedals. I will no longer will use PayPal unless I have no other option.

17. grungebob

grungebob Member

This must be a USA only thing, its certainly not something they could impliment in the UK, Paypal must act inside the rules of our FSA (finacial services authority) and cannot lay claim to funds or freeze/hold funds unless instructed to by a court of law

18. frankencat

frankencat Lex Luthier Gold Supporting Member

PRetty sure this is ebay transactions only. If they start doing this for non ebay transactions I will not use it any longer.

19. MERCYFULFATE

MERCYFULFATE Member

i have 700 positives no negs and they (Paypal)have never held anything of mine. and i have sold 5k + moneys worth of guitars and pedals on Ebay.

20. slowpoke

slowpoke Member

I got the same email too. I've got more than 100 feedbacks and I think they put the hold on me for selling stuff in a category I usually didn't sell in before. Lame reason for the hold, I think.