PayPal has crossed the last line!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by nbessie1, Nov 7, 2019.

1. musekatcher

musekatcher Supporting Member

PS - assuming .5% [1 of 200] of Paypals customers let a $4.80 charge go to avoid having to call, don't catch it, or don't realize its an error, and assuming this happens to that .5% once a year, we are talking $5.7M of additional revenue every year. Yes, they intentionally plan for your ignorance, negligence, and convenience in their favor.

PPS - bankers are really OCD about numbers and accounts, often fretting over pennies. However, some banks will "not notice" extra payments. My wife and I routinely made duplicate payments when we were first starting the household, and the honest banks and businesses notified us, or at least applied it to a balance - but not all. Corruption and cheating knows no bounds.

2. JamCave Studio

JamCave Studio Member

I stopped selling gear a while back. I'll just give it away to avoid the hassle of fees, shipping and unappreciative buyers (who sometimes demand refunds for no reason).

I have too many stories of me getting screwed.

Avoid the headache, find someone who wants it and just send it to them. I get to see my Telecaster on stage every Sunday at Church and the dude is so happy to have it. Makes me happy. I'm not rich either, it's my way of giving back.

3. jwguitar

jwguitar Supporting Member

It’s things like this that make doing business with EBay very difficult. I used EBay many years ago and it was much more customer friendly. From everything I have heard it is not so much anymore.

neilr11 likes this.
  4. teleluvver

teleluvver Member

Title: Paypal has crossed the last line!
    :sarcasm :)

freedom's door and stonem like this.
  5. skydog

skydog Supporting Member

Was it a “paypal verified address”? I would have requested add'l shipping fees from the buyer to forward it to his new address. This was all on him. Not you, not paypal. What kind of an idiot doesn't provide the correct address? If it was an “honest mistake” as you called it, well mistakes usually cost you money. Look at it this way: what if the person at the initial destination kept it, but denied knowing anything? You might have been out the bridge and your money.

6. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

Exactly what I'm thinking of doing with a bunch of my old analog gear...wish I could find a non-profit to donate the stuff to. Have to look a little harder around the Phoenix area I guess. :)

freedom's door likes this.
  7. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

PayPal recently screwed me, too. I don't have the strength to describe how again (I did in a previous, similar thread). This being said, I'll use it when I have no choice whether to but still want to do the transaction, taking PayPal's involvement into account in deciding whether I still want to do it.

8. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

I don't think Paypal cost you your money. I think your buyer cost you your money. If you are Paypal, a transaction is a transaction. Coming or going.

hunter

skydog and NicDo like this.
  9. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

Op, pad your posted price with a additional percentage to cover the potential back end paypal fee should the buyer decide to want a refund.
    As for telling paypal to cram it with walnuts, well, that's difficult if you take in a great deal of your business through them, which I do. So I have to factor in extra funds into pricing to compensate me for additional fees that must he passed on to the end user.

10. Yamaha 1421

Yamaha 1421 Supporting Member

I still use PayPal for buying items online/offline but I have not used them for selling anything for years. As far as selling any gear which for me has been mostly guitars I just use my local Craigslist screen the buyer and we meet in a mall for a cash sale. Ebay and PayPal for selling have all walked off the map with their polices a long time ago for me.

11. musekatcher

musekatcher Supporting Member

I'm tempted similarly. Finding worthy apprecianados is a problem however. I used to give stuff to family members to help out, only to find out they were selling it. Uncool.

JamCave Studio and stonem like this.
  12. ToneDeVille

ToneDeVille Member

IMHO there's really no need to get bent over $10. That's a small issue in the context of the big picture.
    And if PP's policies don't suit one's expectations there are other ways to get paid for a sale. PP charges a reasonable fee for the convenience of a simple mouse click transaction.
    Sometimes you end up with a buyer that turns out to be a pita...it just comes with the process. To avoid this type of calamity maybe include some decisive disclaimers in your listing and stick to them, and weed out the low volume transaction buyers by refusing business with anyone with less than X # of purchases or anyone with a negative feedback of any kind.
    Personally, I draw a line at what value I deem qualifies as a give away versus sale and don't mind giving gear to my kids or someone who needs it if it's something I don't want to mess with shipping or know isn't worth the expense and process of trying to sell. Or I put up for sale for local pickup only.

13. tjontheroad

tjontheroad Just Wanna Be Misunderstood Silver Supporting Member Vendor

New Jersey... YOU GOTTA PROBLEM WITH THAT?!?!
    I had the same issue with a buyer who forgot to change an old address when making payment. I had a heated discussion with a Paypal supervisor about their new policy. I was told they are “aligning themselves with the industry”. I said that translates to “someone in else is screwing their customers so we can too” right? He couldn’t answer that assessment.

The buyer was able to redirect the shipment while in transit. So no refund was needed.

14. mattcran

mattcran Supporting Member

YES!!! I just dodged a bullet recently. They actually tried to implement this policy earlier in the year, but rolled it back due to public uproar. I have not been victim of it personally, but barely missed the most recent reinstatement of it. I sold a Les Paul a few weeks ago for $3600 and within hours of receiving it the buyer said... looks immaculate, but the neck doesn't work for me... where do I send it back to? I would have been out hundreds!! As someone else has stated, I think we'll start seeing more "10% return fees" in for sale listings. However, PayPal will probably not honor that and side with the buyer. Between this and the sales tax policies on Reverb and eBay, this hobby (at least the buy-sell part) has gotten much less fun and more stressful! I'm always sweating it between the time I see the package is delivered and the seller emails me to say all is well!!

cutaway likes this.
  15. GreenKnight18

GreenKnight18 Member

I get that the PayPal 'double charge' thing is an issue, but for me the far bigger and more annoying problem are all the fickle tool-bags returning stuff they don't like and sellers that sell questionable gear. If the two parties involved are honest decent humans most of this 'hypothetical scenario' stuff won't happen. Seller sells, buyer buys and we thank Paypal for the ability to easily send money all over the place.

The bigger issue (for me) is people returning stuff just because they don't like it. That's fine for retailers-- but even then it's an issue.

TGP is so weird about this stuff. Tire kickers are the worst.

enharmonic, stonem and Jabberwocky like this.
  16. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    AND Ebay.

17. nbessie1

nbessie1 Gold Supporting Member

Agreed!

Jon Silberman likes this.
  18. Neanderthal Head

Neanderthal Head Supporting Member

monopolies gonna monopolize.

19. Otter351

Otter351 Member

Huh, guess I should actually read those TOS change emails instead of just immediately deleting them.

20. stonem

stonem Member

Same here man. People suck.