PayPal has crossed the last line!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by nbessie1, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Bertiman

Bertiman Supporting Member

I'm only a purchaser when it comes to Ebay, Reverb and PayPal. If I want to sell some gear, I have good relationship with GC and will get roughly CL prices without any of the CL delay, hastle or risk.

freedom's door likes this.
  2. Gafan92

Gafan92 Member

I recently sold a guitar on Reverb and the buyer requested a refund because he did not realize that strings can "slip" in the saddle on Jazzmaster type guitars. I authorized a full refund through Reverb/PayPal and I assumed that I would receive the seller fees and tax that Reverb held but they told me that they would not return to my card but instead would hold it on my monthly statement for use against future selling fees. These fees along with shipping cost me $200. I think this is a new policy since the Etsy acquisition and is pretty shady IMO.

3. cutaway

cutaway Supporting Member

The only way this will work is for them to allow sellers to post a return alert on their page. Meaning that they have returned something and for it to list the official reason they returned it--to allow us to decide whether or not we want to do business with them.

There could be a drop down menu for them to initiate a return and they could select from a number of boilerplate reasons and if they don't see their reason they could go with an "other" option where they could explain it was greener than they thought or single coils just aren't their thing. Then, we as sellers, could read that page and decline all offers from folks with "it sounded weird through my computer speakers."

stonem likes this.
  4. woof*

woof* Member

Agreed, two transactions = two charges.
    What’s the issue?

5. handtrix

handtrix Member

That would be you, and your money.

6. Brion

Brion Supporting Member

Yep PayPal sucks when something goes wrong. They screwed my wife over a year or so ago when she somehow received a payment for something she wasn’t selling. She got stuck with the fees. At that point we both quit using the service, but I found it difficult to sell stuff without accepting it as a payment option so I recently signed back Up. They still suck balls, but I guess we just have to deal with their terms or do things the old way with money orders...

handtrix likes this.
  7. 8len8

8len8 Member

The buyer sold the guitar within 2-3 weeks of ordering the part? Sounds odd...

8. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Member

It is unfair to the seller when a buyer changes his/her mind and the seller takes the hit on fees. Sometime in 2008, both ebay and Paypal realised that buyers make their market; when buyers stay away, ebay and Paypal suffer. So, the pendulum swang the other way; the buyer gets almost all the benefit of the doubt and suffers no penalties. Impose a fee penalty on flippant buyers and we will see this kind of flippant buying behaviour drop. ebay and Paypal are ballsless though.

Me? Wire or bust. Someone said that I would be severely limiting the size of my market. That's the entire point: it rids me of the wafflers, the abusers, the neophytes who don't know what they are looking at but feel like taking a poke and a squeeze, suspicious minds and the plain old tyrekickers.

Restocking fees ought to be a thing. Sellers too had better up their game with exhaustive photos and unerring descriptions. No language of the carny barker. (No equipment should ever carry the description "Mint". It is a USED guitar; expect some signs of use. You demand Mint? Buy NEW. Describing anything as Mint is setting yourself up for abuse. There is nary any difference in selling price between "Mint" and "Used with Signs of Use". Folk looking for Mint Used are people you want to avoid selling to. People who buy to play don't mind a few used marks as long as it shows that it has not been abused. People who want Mint Used are not players but noodlers.)

3.5% here and 3.5% there and soon we are looking at the entire cost of the guitar. The shipping companies must be smiling like crazy, shipping boxes back and forth.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  9. freedom's door

freedom's door Member

I wish Paypal would just delete my account for non-use, the same same way eBay did a few years ago.
    Eventually I'll get around to deleting it myself...

10. gillman royce

gillman royce Member

Yeah , unbelievable they can get away with refunding after 6 months - you're not Costco.

RGB likes this.
  11. Northerner

Northerner Member

I’ve gotten flak here for having an issue with the name PayPal.
    I said they’re not your pal.

Told ya

12. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Silver Supporting Member

Talk to someone else...this was an error. Their policy did change and you lose your fee upfront, but there isn't an additional fee as well. Again, talk to someone else.

13. Mr Fingers

Mr Fingers Member

As for the OP, the repeated transactions were caused by the buyer, and the problem lies with him. Wrong address? Sold the guitar? That stuff is idiotic and of course increases transaction costs. I have no love for Pay Pal, but it's just a transaction service. Of course they charge per transaction. The reasons for the repeated transactions have nothing to do with them. They just move money securely. I think your resentment is entirely misplaced. It's the buyer who caused the problem. Why would PayPal give free service to a screwup? They had to do the transaction.

14. nbessie1

nbessie1 Gold Supporting Member

The only thing I can think of is that people respond to my posts without actually reading them...

...nothing else explains some of these responses.