Paypal ?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by SnidelyWhiplash, Feb 15, 2009.

1. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Supporting Member

I know this is old news,but i guess i finally need to get Paypal. I have a
    problem with giving personal info on the web. Which procedure would you
    use? I just don't want to give them any bank account info. I need it to
    be a simple process so even a simpleton like myself can do it. Any opin-
    ions welcome.

2. Warse22

Warse22 Member

Hmmm...that may be difficult. Instant transfers (I believe) are only possible with a linked bank account - I believe this is only way to verify your account also. You may be able to get away with just linking a Visa or Mastercard, but I'm sure you would still need to verify your phone #, your transfers would take longer to process and many sellers won't sell to unverified members.

3. jeffwith1f

jeffwith1f Member

find yourself an escrow service.

4. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Member

The bank account thing bothered me as well. So, I opened a checking account that's linked to Pay Pal and I don't keep much money in there. If I need to make a large payment, I just transfer $ into that account and pay. Otherwise I only keep like $100 in there, so if someone, somehow breaks in, they won't get much.

5. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

I am seriously trying to get away from using paypal. If I am selling something, I give the option to save the fees off the price with a USPS Money Order. Doesn't answer the question. Just my opinion. :crazy

6. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

I wouldn't wish paypal on my worst enemy. :cry:

7. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I've never had any trouble with Paypal. It's a little pricey though.

Perhaps you could establish a separate bank account that you only use with Paypal. Keep your Paypal money separate from your main funds.

8. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Supporting Member

Thanks for the replies. I have heard of horror sories associated with PP.
    But,it is getting more difficult to buy or sell anything without it.

9. jammybastard

jammybastard "I'm losing my edge, but I was there..."

That's exactly what I did.
    Open a checking acct at your bank that has a low minimum and
    make that the one you link to PayPal.
    Works like a charm, AND you get the security of having a bank to back up any fraud claims in case a PayPal dispute goes bad.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  10. jammybastard

jammybastard "I'm losing my edge, but I was there..."

To be honest I think many are a case where the account holder does something stupid like doing a deal without proper safeguards, or not reading the rules.
    There are a lot of dumb people out there who can't or don't take the time to research the buyer or seller they want to deal with, or they don't read PayPal's rules.

In 5 years I've done close to 500 deals buying and selling through PayPal and I've only had one go bad to the point where I had to get my bank involved to get my money back and the funny thing is that is was the PayPal cust serv. rep who told me how to do it through my bank. She literally said, "We can't do anything else unless you file a claim with your bank". The next day I filed and the day after that I had my money back.

Here's the most important thing to remember....
    Disputes are the only way to get your money back from PayPal, and you only get one per transaction so don't close it until there's resolution.
    So if you bought something and haven't gotten it on-time open a dispute and do not close that dispute until you have gotten the item or gotten a refund.
    Once you close a dispute PayPal will not let you re-open it, so at that point you have to go to your bank and get a "charge back".
    Once you file that your bank will refund your money, charge it to PayPal and then PayPal goes after the original seller for the money.