PC Amp Software

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Jjdhawg, May 3, 2015.

1. Jjdhawg

Jjdhawg Member

Hey folks. I'm looking to find bass amp software for my pc that's not wallet shattering. Just the basics, eq/comp and the ability to record would be nice. Just for home practice sessions so my wife and kids will stop feeling like they have to form a line and soul train around the house all the time so the simpler the better. Any recommendations?

2. aman74

aman74 Supporting Member

Just to let you know that this is the lounge...sort of the OT area for music related stuff, like favorite bands, should I kick my drummer out, etc...for this you could try the recording or guitar/bass forums.

Sounds like you already have a DAW? I'd just try the ones that are probably included there first. Not sure if you have that already though? If you're looking to record you'll need some kind of DAW and most include some sims nowadays.

Sgear is highly regarded for guitar and I'm sure accommodates bass as well.

There are free IR's for cab sims out there as well.

What are you using for your DI/soundcard?

3. Jjdhawg

Jjdhawg Member

I guess I could have picked a better spot to place the thread. I just took it as more of a casual conversation piece I guess :p. As far as what I already have, I have nothing. For a sound card I have a ASUS Xonar Essence STX.

4. Peeb

Peeb Member

What operating system?

5. Jjdhawg

Jjdhawg Member

Win7pro
    i5 4670k
    16 gb ram @2133
    Asus Maximus Hero VI

Those would be the rest of the possibly relevant specs.

6. aman74

aman74 Supporting Member

Sounds like you need an interface first then.

Some have a DI that overloads and you end up having to spend more to get a decent signal in....so for your use I'd make sure that aspect is decent.

Secondly, many interfaces come with a basic version of a DAW, providing you with something free to use and a potentially cheaper upgrade path, so look at what they come with and what you might be wanting.

Also check to see if this basic version has some SIMS you could use.

3 birds with one stone here. ;)

Proaudiostar offered me a UR22 for 110 or 120 and it's one of the better low end devices and comes with a basic version of Cubase.

There's also Presonus, but I'd check on the DI there. That probably comes with a basic version of Studio One I'm guessing.

Mackie Blackjack should be very good as well. They used to give you a free version of Traktion and their relationship has ended, but even last year you still were able to get the license with some digging. That software is supposed to be very good and easier for noobs.

Roland interfaces seem nice as well, not sure what software they come with, but I believe you can't monitor headphones and speakers at the same time, or rather have both hooked up at once and need to physically switch back and forth, which seems ridiculous.

A cab sim is really just an EQ curve most of the time and you can get free IR's to plug into your DAW or free host software. Then you can add your EQ/Comp from the DAW.....but most DAW's should have some amp/cab sims anyhow nowadays, though check to make sure the slimmed down version has some.

I'd imagine the Line6 interfaces give you some nice cab software as well, but they're interfaces are kinda shoddy.

You could also use a pedal as a DI into the interface...just a bit more futzing with levels possibly.

Long story short, get a decent interface and the you should have a workable solution without spending further.