PC or Mac

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by mp815, Dec 26, 2009.

1. mp815

mp815 Supporting Member

Mac is the standard in pro studios...........But what is better for the home studio. Macs are easily double the money. Is it worth spending twice as much if not 3 time as much???? I have the Mac fever but am trying to validate the extra money...

2. patrickisbusy

patrickisbusy Member

3. marktweedy

marktweedy In Transit® Silver Supporting Member

I have never heard anyone who bought a Mac say that they wish they had bought a PC.

(I have now, of course, ensured that I will hear exactly that).

4. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

I used to program PC's and do back end server apps and other esoteric stuff. Not only that, I was actually screwed by M$. So while I have an axe to grind let me say that the Windows internals are so pathetically done that I get ill now thinking about working on them. It's really past its use date. Macs are so much cleaner in every way.

5. JCM 800

JCM 800 Member

Depends..... What software? For Pro Tools I don't find there is any difference as long as you keep your PC a dedicated DAW and not an Internet surfing machine. I have a Dell that works very well in my Pro Tools based studio.

Logic is obviously Mac only. I can't comment on any other software.

6. richpjr

richpjr Member

I have a Mac Pro at home and use a Dell laptop with Windows 7 on it for work. Windows 7 has cleaned up just about all the junk and problems Vista caused so the difference is not nearly as big as it used to be, no matter what the Apple fanboys will tell you. They are actually both pretty good.

7. JPF

JPF Member

I'd recommend a mac but then I'm heavily biased, because they're so easy to use for someone like me with little patience with computers.

8. Darkburst

Darkburst Member

Three times as much? Come on, if you spec out a Windows machine the same as the Mac you are comparing it to the price difference isn't that much. I've read that Windows 7 is better than Vista, but that's not really saying much.

9. Timmylikesthing

Timmylikesthing Member

+1

My friends who love PC's are all pretty good computer guys. PC's can be great, I just don't have the patience for something like that.

When I turn the key in my car I expect it to start without me having to boot in safe mode and run an ad/spy/malware detection and elimination software package, you know what I mean?

I went mac 2 years ago and won't be going back.

10. j2b4o

j2b4o Member

garage bands alot better than sound recorder (as far as free recording software goes.) plug & play peripherals is a plus as well if you want to run guitar or mic inputs in.

11. Brian D

Brian D Member

I have an iMac, but ultimately the best one is probably the one you are most comfortable using.

12. mp815

mp815 Supporting Member

Darkburst,how is price the same when you can get a pc for $300 and the cheapest mac is $1000+

13. Jazzydave

Jazzydave Seeker Silver Supporting Member

:facepalm

Had to face palm this one just because of the extensive threads here (and everywhere else for that matter) on this exact subject.

I'm not attacking you - but try doing a few searches and checking them out. I was a PC builder for years and did the switch in the Fall of '07. Let's just say I'm responding on my Macbook Pro!

Best of luck on the search...

14. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

You can NOT get a decent PC that will work well for recording music for 300 bucks. That's why he said that.

I've worked extensively with Macs and with PCs (and for a while sold music software and hardware) for over 2 decades.

I will never ever ever ever allow myself to have to record music or make video on a PC. Did I say never? I mean never.

PCs for home productivity stuff can't be beat. Vista is not as bad as everybody says and Windows 7 looks to be really the bees knees. I'm not knocking PCs. But there is a reason that creative people flock to the Mac.

15. Timmylikesthing

Timmylikesthing Member

Mac Mini's are what now?

$600?

I mean, they aren't iMac's or Macbook Pro's or Mac Pro's, but for simple demo recordings they are certainly acceptable.

So the whole "Macs are expensive" argument is blown out the window there. Give me the options of a $600 PC with no monitor and a Mac Mini, and I'll take the mac mini.

So there you go. Would I be able to do my full blown recordings on one? No. Could I record on it? Yep.

The cheapest mac is just as capable of recording if not moreso than the cheapest of PC's.

16. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

My 2 cents:

PCs and Macs are both pretty much a processor, RAM, and a hard drive. For recording you will need a soundcard of some sort. Then there's the OS. I admit that MACs are more userfriendly towards this kinda thing but then again PCs are more versatile (of course, this is mainly the structure of the Operating System). It's also much easier to build a PC than it is to build a MAC, which can get you very far on your dollar.

Finally, Windows 7 is great. One of the reasons its great is it has stolen a lot of features from MAC OSs over the years, but then again has introduced a number of nifty features itself.

IMO, I say it doesn't matter. Make sure your computer has the I/O and processing power you need and, unless people are paying you to setup their recording studio for them/record top-shelf quality for them/what have you, it won't matter what platform you choose

17. SteveO

SteveO Member

The newer Intel-based Macs will run Windows, also, so you can have both in one package.

18. padavis

padavis Supporting Member

yea... I think just about everything can be converted back and forth from Windows to Mac. If you look hard enough for just about everything, someone has created a converter or replacement for just about everything you need.
    I think now it all boils down to what you want. Its Fender vs. Gibson, Chevy vs. Ford, its not that the two are so drastically different that if you pick one over the other you are missing out a great huge deal, its just a choice.
    I have both and some gnu/linux stuff too. Its all fun.

19. bdegrande

bdegrande Member

Windows 7 is a lot better than Vista, not only in performance, but ease of use as well, with the taskbar now doing a lot of the same types of things that the Mac dock does.

Macs are more expensive for the same hardware specs, but that's an illusion. A machine running OS X (or Linux, or most other OSs) is going to run a lot faster on similar hardware than Windows, even Windows 7. OS X also has dramatically better memory management. You can open many apps without the machine crashing, I once opened every app on my Mac by accident (about 170) and it survived without having to reboot.

There are many other pluses with Macs - reliability, support, better software built in, simply better software in any price range, particularly for audio/video, a consistent user interface for applications, no annoying OS activation, etc. Just a much better experience overall.

I use and own Windows and Linux machines as well, but I enjoy playing around with operating systems, building machines, etc. If you just want to use a machine without problems, Macs are good for that.

20. yesteryear

yesteryear Member

Ive mixed and mastered a full record on a 2nd generation mac mini with upgraded ram. So for the price get a mac. The record I did was a good 30 tracks deep on every song and I did it in Pro Tools LE with an Mbox. I wouldn't have been able to do what I did on a PC priced the same. PLus after I was done with the record I made a few very decent music videos to accompany the tunes. I have tried to do the same on my 2.3 ghz, 4gb ram, Windows 7 PC that cost about the same and it just wasn't happening. Vote for mac without a doubt. If you have the money then get a Mac. If you don't you better learn how to nurse a PC.