PC Shielding?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Cap'n Fingers, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Cap'n Fingers

Cap'n Fingers Member

T-Town. Home of street construction hell!
    I'm working with an ADM 1.7 in an aluminum case. The PC it self is loud, (cooling fan noise), but that's a different issue. What I want to eliminate is the buzz I get through my single coils. I have to turn at a specific angle away from my PC, stick my tongue out and cross my eyes to make the buzz stop. If I tap in my dual coil pup it goes away.
    Anyone know if there is some kind of shielding I can buy to put over my PC case to eliminate this? I have been able to eliminate my monitor as the source. I'm pretty positive it's the CPU.

Thanks to all in advance!

-Mike

2. Cap'n Fingers

Cap'n Fingers Member

No takers? Surely someone has had similar problems.

3. theelectic

theelectic Guest

Sounds like you need a faraday cage. 1/4" steel wire mesh bent/formed into a cover for your case.

4. Papajuice

Papajuice Silver Supporting Member

What monitor are you using. If it is a standard type it will cause buzzing. A flat screen will not.

5. Cap'n Fingers

Cap'n Fingers Member

That sounds like what I need. I thought there was something like that but I didn't know what name it went by to look for one. Thanks for the suggestion!

-Mike

6. Cap'n Fingers

Cap'n Fingers Member

I'm using a standard monitor. I can power off the monitor and still get the buzz. I can have the monitor on and the CPU off and it's gone. I think my monitor is shielded. It's a big old 21'' Trinitron. A flat screen would be a good thing though. Thanks.

-Mike