PC vs Mac Which do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by IPlayHamers, Jul 13, 2005.

1. IPlayHamers

IPlayHamers Member

I'm upgrading to a computer based system from a Roland VS-2480. I'll be using Nuendo 3.0 and Universal Audio and Waves plug ins. I'm concidering a Spectral PC or a Mac G5 Dual. Which do some of you prefer and why?

Thanks,

IPH

2. melondaoust

melondaoust Member

Personal Pref would be the G5. (Use a G4 dual w/ProTools at home).

Would only go for the PC if it were dedicated to recording only (no e-mail, games, etc.)

3. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

Sorry, but there's no religious discussions allowed on TGP.

:D

I prefer Macs but for a couple simple reasons. When I was first learning Pro Tools, I learned from a buddy with a Mac; setting up my first system I wanted to be able to call him and say 'ok this is what's happening, what do I do' and know he was looking at the same thing I was.

Also, 'back then' (not too long ago, but long enough), Windows hadn't quite caught up to Apple OS for being able to handle music. Nowadays I don't think there's much of a difference MUSIC WISE between Mac & PC. It's all that other stuff that gets in the way.

My current rig is G4/dual 1.25, 1GB RAM, 3 HDD, Pro Tools 6.4 through a Digi001 interface (quite obsolete but quite functional), and I just added Reason 3.0 to the mix.

--chiba

4. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

5. Dirty Dan

Dirty Dan Member

I'm a Windows guy personally. That being said, I don't really think you can go wrong either way. I think, these days, it really comes down to personal preference. What OS are you more comfortable working in? Do you have friends with Mac OS X? With Windows XP? Can you ask them for help? From what I hear, the latest mac OS X is supposed to be their fastest yet. That could be a big plus. On the other hand, most people run windows, and it may be easier to find help if you encounter a problem.

I think choosing between mac OS and windows is a lot like choosing an amp or a guitar. A lot of it comes down to how you and the instrument interact. If you're most familiar with windows, I'd recommend going that route. If you're more comfortable with Macs, go with them. Both are able to handle recording quite well.

6. Chevelle

Chevelle Member

Member of the Church of Apple since 1984.

7. gomez1856

gomez1856 Member

I've been a PC guy all my life! Work in the software industry... just a big computer geek. Never thought I'd want a Mac.

Well, I recently got a G5 dual 2 GHz with Logic Pro.

uhhhh... I haven't touched my PC in weeks! I love this thing!:D :D :dude

Rick

8. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

9. Red Ant

Red Ant Member

Mac at work, PC at home, ProTools on both... PC hands down for me, for two reasons:

1) Just plain FASTER per $

2) I dont care for the Jobsian RDF (Reality Distortion Field)

:D

10. Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime Member

Mac, but I would wait until the new Intel Mac's arrive to get a Mac.

11. onemind

onemind Member

I've been a Mac user for twenty years, Though always have a PC around for fun, lately I've been spending an inordinate amount of time helping friends with wintel boxes eradicate spyware, adware, virii, etc. Not fun! Mac using friends never seem to require this type of help....I think you have more productive uptime with an Apple, completely trumps the "bang for the buck" argument.

Steve

12. IPlayHamers

IPlayHamers Member

After much concideration, I have decided that the PC is best for me. Also, Nuendo was designed around the PC and I feel that it will work best.

Thanks for all the comments and advice.

IPH

13. straticus

straticus Member

I was dealing with the same thing until I figured out that a properly set up fire wall pretty much solves the problem. The Zone Alarm fire wall is one of the better ones ........... and it's free!

PC user here.

14. stratofied

stratofied Member

I am a Mac user but do your homework here. It's my understanding that Nuendo performs much better on PC than Mac.

15. Gravity

Gravity Member

I've been using Apple since, well I guess since about '86 with my first SE20

I'm a staunch ProTools user, and for my money there isn't a better system then Apple. However what people are saying is mostly true, if you use the comp for ONLY audio (ie no other application will EVER touch it and it wont be connected to the outside world) then you should choose the system you're most comfortable on.

That being said I know from experience with both OS's on an audio and normal user standpoint that the Mac OS has been consistantly more stable and has had shorter downtime when I DO encounter problems.
    Apple's hardware is very tightly controlled by one plant and one company, with PC, even inside the same manufacturer, you may have two identical models assembled in different ways depending on if it was made in China or Mexico... (yes i've seen ithappen with IBM hardware)

I just find that Macs and the Mac OS is a much more elegant system to work with then PC ever has been.

As for apple's customer support.... don't even get me started....

16. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

Using the same here (well, haven't upgraded Nuendo yet) and they work beautifully together on my XP system.

17. Antero

Antero Member

Mac for me.

I like the fact that they're using hardware and operating software that are conciously designed to work properly together. Macs also go out of their way to be nice about the arts and creative processes, because of the angle that they're aiming for. I can record with ProTools, or I can record (multitrack!) audio in seconds using the mic built in to my laptop.

That, and stability. I've never had the thing crash. The only unstable program I've encountered on Mac OS X was Internet Explorer, which I replaced with the far-superior FireFox. Everything is pretty much bulletproof.

18. matte

matte Senior Member

Mac since "98. Started off with a Beige G3 desktop. Now I rock a Dual 2 GIG G5 with 3.5 GIG of RAM. DP has been my platform of choice (more like laziness) throughout.

19. Erik

Erik Member

Same here...'cept I only have 2 gig of RAM. Now I really feel emasculated. :(

20. matte

matte Senior Member

I want to upgrade to 8 GIG.