Pcad's Grail Guitar

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by patentcad, Jan 24, 2015.

1. patentcad

patentcad Member

After spending a month with this 2014 Gibson R9, I've really come to bond with the guitar, it's the best electric guitar I've played/owned. Killer looks, feel, but I've discovered that it has the best tone I've personally heard in a guitar. I was playing it through my new Carvin Nomad 112 combo amp (I upgraded the speaker to a 12" Celestion) which replaced the same Carvin amp that I've had for 15 years. I was jamming along with blues/rock You Tube videos today and the guitar was putting out such monster tone I couldn't believe it. Couldn't put it down. Played for over three hours straight.

Picture of Codyburst (that's what I call the R9, that's the name of the guitar finish and Cody is my dog's name) and the Carvin amp below, followed by a better photo of the R9 that shows the 'Burst better.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Member

3. AD

AD Supporting Member

Nice guitar. I have a '14 as well (CC #28 Montrose) and it is one of the finest guitars i've owned.

4. patentcad

patentcad Member

I think this is my 4th Historic, this one is the nicest looking but most importantly the tone is off the hinges good. I expected it to be good, but not THIS good. The tone I've been after for an awful long time. Man this guitar sounds so great when you're bending medium overdrive channel lead guitar notes. FAT sustain for days. Just so wonderful to hear that sound you've had in your head finally coming out of your guitar amp.

5. patentcad

patentcad Member

MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) on my new guitar is currently $6500. Dealers actually sell them for $5000-$5500 or so, I paid $5200. The rumors are flying hot and heavy on the Les Paul discussion boards that Gibson is about to increase the prices on these Gibson Custom Shop Historic guitars by 30% or so, which would make the MAP over $8000 and the street price $7000+. So I figured it was a good time to buy one and maybe the last time I'd be able to rationalize it. Easier to rationalize $5K than $7K, although I have a $7K PRS Private Stock I bought two years ago.

Gibson reportedly is going to drastically scale back production on Historics along with the big price increase, one rumor is that they will all have higher quality 'killer' tops to make it easier for them to sell the pricier guitars. That shouldn't be a problem for Gibson if they really scale back production as rumored, the concern amongst the LP fanatics is that it will be hard to get your hands on these 2015 guitars, there will be very few.

All that is essentially hearsay now, but you have some very knowledgeable sources who are wired into Gibson hard enough to be quite credible, the one source I have is kind of unimpeachable, I think all that I've described above is more likely to happen than not.

So if you want a Gibson Historic, buy one now, they are probably about to get a huge price boost combined with a steep drop in selection. One thing I can tell you from long experience is that if you buy a Gibson Historic with a nice looking top like my guitar, they are about the easiest piece of high end music gear to re-sell. it's arguable that the guitar I own now could be sold for a slight profit if that rumored price increase comes through.

But Codyburst is a keeper.

6. cottonmike

cottonmike Member

Let us see Cody with his 'Burst.

7. Nickstrtcstr

Nickstrtcstr Lactose Intolerant Guitar Slinger

Pretty guitar. You know how to pick 'em.

8. patentcad

patentcad Member

Cody is about 17 months old. When he was a puppy he ate everything. Remote controls, wallets, guitar cables, sheetrock walls, rugs, etc. He has calmed down, but we still don't trust him alone in the house, he goes in his crate (cage). But he seems to like it. I think we're getting to the point where we can leave him to his own devices in the house without coming home to eaten rugs, wallets, iphones, etc.

He's a character. Great personality. And I'm 99% sure he has outgrown his destructive puppy behavior.

What does this have to do with the guitar? At least now I think it's safe to allow the dog within five feet of his namesake Les Paul so I can take the picture.

9. patentcad

patentcad Member

I buy 'em on looks and weight (as light as possible). The sellers can show you that on the website, but not the tone. The extra badass tone was an unexpected bonus. And of course the best thing about the guitar. Hardcore fat, sustaining tone through that EL-84 Carvin combo. I was jamming along with the Joe Bonamassa You Tube of 'Further on Up the Road' where he's playing with
    E. Clapton, uptempo I-IV-V blues number, and the guitar tone sounded just amazing.

10. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Ain't that great when you find a rig that makes you feel like you're part of it rather than just playing through it...then the channel opens, and time disappears? Sounds like you found it Peter....now make a joyful noise ;).

11. patentcad

patentcad Member

Makes you want to play the guitar all day.

12. HayekFan

HayekFan Member

What kind of pickups does it have?

13. patentcad

patentcad Member

Whatever comes stock on R9s, Dave's Guitar ordered a run of LPs with zebras under the covers so you could just take the covers off, which I had them do. I think the stock pickups from Gibson on R9 guitars are called Custom Buckers these days. The guitar couldn't possibly sound any better, I would never change them. Here's what the dealer's web page said:

>>Cody Burst, Glossy finish, Aniline Dye used on the body and neck, Accurate vintage color fingerboard and body binding that is a darker Cream to match the original 50&#8217;s era binding, Hide Glue neck fit, Single layer Rosewood fingerboard, New Historic truss rod assembly without the tube surround, Custom Bucker pickups with Zebra coils under the covers, Kluson &#8220;Deluxe&#8221; Green tuning keys<<

14. deadbeat son

deadbeat son Member

Congrats! I'm glad to hear the guitar sounds at least as good as it looks!

Is this true for all historics, or just the R9s? I have an R8 en route this week.

15. patentcad

patentcad Member

The rumor is this impacts all the Historics, I THINK. Bear in mind that hearsay from good reliable sources is still hearsay.

16. patentcad

patentcad Member

If I had to lay money either way based on what I've heard and who I heard it from, I'd bet on the 30%-ish price boost and the supply cut on Historics. But I hope that it turns out to be untrue.

17. deadbeat son

deadbeat son Member

Absolutely, I understand that. I'm glad to get in now!

18. patentcad

patentcad Member

I love nice guitars, I've bought and sold a lot of them; Gibson USA and Custom Shop, Fender USA and Custom Shop, PRS, a bunch of boutique builders, etc. Gibson does have its quality issues, even with the pricier Custom Shop guitars. But when Gibson gets it right with Custom Shop or Gibson USA guitars, there's something about them that appeals to me more than just about any other guitar, including my favorites, PRS. And yes, I do realize part of this is in my soft guitar weenie brain. You work with what you have.

It's a fun hobby. I don't have to try to make a living doing this, I know some of you do, and I have local friends who do that as well. I have a ton of respect for working musicians. Gigging out locally for the first time in my life over the past nine months has increased that respect. At the same time the fun I've had playing those gigs makes me understand why people put up with the grief that goes along with trying to do all this.

19. Ape Factory

Ape Factory Member

So the short version is there are going to be two lines of "historics", the Custom 50's and the True Historics. Yeah, I think I fell off the couch when I first read that. The "True Historics" will be limited in number and a few thousand more dear to your wallet. The Custom 50's will have a short neck tenon and cost about the same as the 2014 Historics. Bend over now.

20. patentcad

patentcad Member

The only 'True Historic' is a real vintage LP.