Pcad's Guitar Idiot Getaway in Naples, FL

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by patentcad, Jan 29, 2012.

1. patentcad

patentcad Member

I consider myself to be a complete and utter guitar idiot, and few here would argue with that. I flew to see my dear old HS pal Az down in Fort Meyers, FL this weekend, which in addition to a nice break from the NY cold also turned out to be a total guitarfest. Az (John) is an oil futures trader by profession (self employed, he once worked on Wall Street doing that for a large brokerage) but his first love is music, and he has been in numerous small time bands from NY City down to Florida for 20+ years (he's in one now called the Ex-Bachelors in Naples, FL). So he has a lot of saddle time playing in front of and with other people. Az has kind of mentored me in my recent re-entry into guitars after a 10 year hiatus, which has been great.

So this weekend we:

• Played and jammed together the first night.

• Az showed me some cool rhythm guitar basics the second day and we started recording a cover version of S. Robinson's Motown classic 'Really Got a Hold On Me' that I had been working up for the local open mic night.

• Today on day three his lead singer showed up, we all got to jam on the guitar for an hour and then Cary (said singer) laid down backing vocal tracks on the digital recording Az had done for me. Az also laid down a bass track.

So I got to play with other people, learn a few things, and lo and behold, actually successfully get myself on tape for the first time after 30 years of playing this instrument. Didn't sound too bad in the end. I laid down lead vocals and rhythm and lead guitar tracks, Az put down a bass line, Cary sang the back-up vocals. Very cool. All in 5-6 hours over two days. Az loves doing it too, I could tell. That recording would have taken me a month, and eventually I'll have to figure out Garage Band or Pro Tools (I have the LE edition @ home), but it was good to have the help of somebody who understands the digital recording process (it took him a year to master the basics on his Roland digital recording machine, but he knows what he's doing now).

Old hat for most of you, but new and very educational guitar experiences for me, playing with others, recording, coming up with a guitar solo that's concise and to the point and then laying it down on tape, etc. Looking forward to doing much more of that stuff.

2. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

Sounds like a great trip!

Say hello to Naples for me- I used to live there.

3. patentcad

patentcad Member

It was big fun and I learned a thing or two.

4. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

Music, friends, and progress are always good things.

5. Drewboy

Drewboy Member

Very cool indeed, I'd chalk that weekend up as a win.

6. guitarz1972

guitarz1972 Member

How was the weather in Naples last weekend? Sounds like a great time Pcad.

7. Mark Ray

Mark Ray We're Jammin' Gold Supporting Member

Excellent PCad!

On an entirely different subject, and not to derail, but do you still have the ST1300?

Mark

8. patentcad

patentcad Member

I do indeed, but once you get into guitars, the temptation to sell it and buy music gear can be considerable. But not that considerable. I like riding it too much. Still has reasonably strong resale and the bike is 8 years old. But <20,000 miles. It's a blast.

9. Mark Ray

Mark Ray We're Jammin' Gold Supporting Member

Cool! I still have the VTX. 35,000 miles and counting. A few mods for more power (Like it needs more power LOL), and a few mods for comfort. She's still a beast.

10. patentcad

patentcad Member

Weather was 75-80º, partly cloudy, just about right for SW FL in January. We only went down for 3 days so it was like 2 coach tickets from EWR to Ft. Meyers $780, watching pelicans fishing in the gentle Gulf surf in January, priceless.

But the guitar aspect was even more priceless for me, my pal is a huge guitar geek, so we really both enjoyed it. And my guitar playing is coming around, lead playing is evolving, learning more about it all the time. I'll never have monster chops, but I do think I have good melodic sense and taste, and that does strike me as far more crucial. I do seem to be able to listen to a song and cook up a guitar solo that follows it. I like trying to do that for open mic night, I did that for the song we recorded, etc. Helps your improvisation when you craft solos like that, it gets you thinking along the right lines and out of the pentatonic box a bit.

I have a lot to learn, and any opportunity to do so is highly valued. I love gear as much as any guitar weenie (maybe more) but much of this is white noise, it gets down to the playing doesn't it?

That being said after a weekend of playing and even recording with Fender guitars and amps, I'm a humbucker/LP/PRS guy with respect to tone preference. I like my stomach skinny (that's why I ride bicycle so much) and my tone fat.

11. patentcad

patentcad Member

I strongly considered a VTX in 2004, went with the sport touring class of motorcycle, now that's all I think I'd ever own.