PCE Lady Stardust fuzz

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Dave, May 16, 2008.

1. Dave

Dave Member

I'm really diggin' this one:

[​IMG]

The sound clips on the Phoenix Custom Electronics site only offer a glimpse of what it's capable of and really don't do it justice IMO. It's based on the Vox Tonebender, which I know absolutely nothing about, so I can't say whether or not it's a faithful reproduction, sorry.

This is the only germanium fuzz I've ever had that cleans up as well as(maybe even a little better than) my Sun Face NKT, yet it has way more available gain and the controls offer a lot of flexibility. It's a little bright so it's not going to work well with some amps, but into the right amp it's just killer. The fuzz control has a broad range and the Lady Stardust can get raspy and splatty, in a good way, when you crank it up. The range control is for dialing in some low end should you need it. It works really well, adds low end without making it muddy. The ohm control is supposed to make it work with a wah in front of it. I haven't played with this feature yet as I'm not much of a wah user. At full clockwise it's out of the circuit.

This is my second PCE pedal. My first was the Ranger treble booster and that's a really nice pedal too. Very high quality stuff, reasonably priced and tons of fun.

2. ethandt

ethandt Member

I actually met Alex today and tried out several of his pedals. Everything I tried I loved... great stuff and a really nice guy. I think I am going to be getting the Lady Stardust as well.

3. Wooley

Wooley Member

Curious, I have read that a Tonbender with a Fender amp will split your ears. I personally use a Bassman, but would love to get me some Mick Ronson tones. I'm guessing that I would be hard pressed to pull that off with my amp without at least running everything through an EQ to cut some of that treble?

4. Dave

Dave Member

Yeah, I would think so. I've tried it with my Clark Kanee Reverb(Princeton Reverb clone) and it's too bright and raspy for that amp. If I run the Lady Stardust through my Skreddy Screw Driver it works very nicely with that amp though.

5. ethandt

ethandt Member

Dave, are you using single coils or humbuckers? Just curious cause I am using an old Super Reverb but I use strictly humbuckers and my Sunface NKT can be a little dark into that amp.

Thanks

6. Dave

Dave Member

Single coils and P-90s. I don't find my Sun Face to be dark, although it's a little too bassy with the guitar's volume all the way up, but backed down to about 9 it's perfect IMO. I love that pedal.

7. ethandt

ethandt Member

Yeah, I love it as well. Just got it so I am still getting used to finding the sweet spots with my Guitar. I agree though, was playing it last night and it seemed to respond best with the my guitars volume at around 9.

8. ethandt

ethandt Member

When I got together with Alex yesterday I brought my Sunface and we A/B'd it with his Fuzz pedal. I found the P.C.E. Fuzz had a touch more gain while the Sunface sounded a little more "airy" and open, if that makes any sense.