1. During the first week of August 2020, we'll be upgrading the software TGP runs on to the currently available up-to-date version. The software version is a significant upgrade, so there will be some downtime as we do the work under the hood. We've got a team of professionals, including the software development company assisting the process. We've conducted substantial tests using backups of the current forum to ensure a smooth and successful upgrade. We've gone to great lengths on the design of the theme (aka 'skin' or look and feel) of the forum to offer a better user experience for members and visitors. The default theme will be new, yet clearly influenced by the classic TGP look. We will have a dark version of that also easily selectable. Also available will be a "Classic TGP" theme that closely matches the current theme you are accustomed to using with the current software. There is also an easy width adjustment to make it set width or expand to your window width for each theme. As we get closer, I'll update everyone so hopefully, no one will be caught by surprise.
    Dismiss Notice

Peak Handmade / Boutique Pedal...? Has this gone too far?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by WPmedia, May 24, 2020.

1. WPmedia

WPmedia Member

[​IMG]
    https://www.m-tone.com/tarpitlab?fb...m-a_brj7Or3-LTz1gTB1zr6J32y-8geZ8EyN-ltKWga8k
    I have a feeling this represents "peak boutique"* in terms of pedal building.
    Are there any significant events in pedal building history, which represented a watershed moment for whatever X pedal (or pedal category), in your opinion?

---
    * "Peak" whatever is copped from the old hypothesis of "Peak Oil", i.e. a moment in time that represents the moment of biggest extraction, followed by a subsequent and terminal decline.

twoheadedboy likes this.
  2. David B

David B Silver Supporting Member

It's cool looking, but I doubt that a 2 knob fuzz with 25 units being made is the tipping point of the entire industry. Why do you think this is the moment?

3. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg I Drink and I Know Things. Silver Supporting Member

I think that pedal looks cool but I'd never use it. There is still an art to producing a pedal that is boutique yet able to be used in a real world situation. That pedal having a top that is open to everything that the world can drop, spill, spit or sneeze into it's guts is wholly impractical.

I've always thought that Ryan Kirkland, when he was running SkinPimp, was peak boutique. The artwork, the enclosures and the wooden or phenolic turret boards made those creations unique and usable because they sounded great. There are others that can put out one-offs or limited runs but no one has done it IMO since SP went away.

4. 8len8

8len8 Supporting Member

It’s just someone trying to stick out in the crowd. Nothing new, but when an industry has been around a while the “sticking out” can get more extreme.

5. Johnny Fuzz

Johnny Fuzz Member

ZVEX sells an $8000 phaser that is the size of a Volkswagen named Herbie and is considered an illegal fire hazard in 43 states. So...you can take it further.

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  6. Gilky

Gilky Gold Supporting Member

Yup, what Johnny said...

7. johnsav

johnsav Member

I don't think the actual function of the pedal is unique, is it?
    In that case, it's just aesthetics, and IMO not attractive ones.
    Edit: it's a twist on a Fuzz Face apparently

slowerhand and 8len8 like this.
  8. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

it's an interesting sounding FuzzFace circuit made by an extremely talented, skilled & creative luthier.

9. cubistguitar

cubistguitar Member

To me, peak boutique would be walking into Macari’s , spending a couple hours and leaving with a David Main Mk1.

10. johnsav

johnsav Member

Shame it's in such an overwrought box, IMHO.

11. Hofnarr

Hofnarr Member

I think the face of the pedal actually looks quite nice.

[​IMG]

As for the underside, per the website: "The back of the Thermal is a beautiful open-weave motif to show the meticulously wired interior". Okay ... but if I were to actually use the thing, I'd want to seal it up in some way.

12. lefort_1

lefort_1 Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt Gold Supporting Member

Well, it'd be a decent noodle-strainer,
    as it'll let ALL the fluids through.

AFAIK, No one has done a titanium box.
    Dang few have done cast boxes.
    CNC seems relegated to labeling and raster-graphics.

No tops that have moving sawing parts, dancing to the music.
    No tops that change colors with the frequency/timbre of the music being played.
    No tops that display free-standing 3D laser holograms, one for each multi-effect being engaged... and if two are on, the holograms should be fighting.

... we have a long way to go.
    Still laboring on the Valley floor.

13. truckin

truckin Supporting Member

Cool looking but not something I'd ever really use outside of monkeying around at home. If the builder sealed off the underside with some clear plastic or something it would be a lot more practical.

14. TedJames

TedJames Member

That’s actually a cool work of art.

Though I think MXR putting out the Timmy is more indicative of a peak in boutique.

When who ever makes this pedal is acquired by Sony for a stupid amount of money then we will KNOW we are seeing the peak.

rowla, amdowell and dshobe like this.
  15. LikeAMotherF

LikeAMotherF Supporting Member

I'm waiting for a builder to start building pedals inside of a bottle.... like those old ships...

It'd be interesting just trying to plug it in!

16. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

That's just beggin' for Velcro

17. captaincoconut

captaincoconut Member

The peak of boutique was reached when Mike Fuller figured out a way to use other boxes than those damn Hammond enclosures.

18. stagolee

stagolee Silver Supporting Member

Because of the water jet or laser cutting that’s happening? Kind of the only gimmick implemented here that I’m seeing. Another example of something very basic and relatively low cost being implemented in pedals to appear novel. Novel application, vanilla process. We have much further to go, and there must be better examples of current state of the boutique as well.

19. RobDaglish

RobDaglish Member

It’s ac
    It’s actually the bottom that’s open - just op has sent us a picture of the bottom not the top somehow! It’s and outstanding look, but not my cup of tea, thanks.

I can see it being bought by the same people who bought those plastic sheets to put on top of CDs to improve their sound. (You genuinely could buy these for a while! I have a friend who is ex BBC who now has his own recording studio/labels, and we spend time trying to find the most ridiculous things people will buy to give ‘a better sound’ to give each other a laugh)

Bill Lumberg likes this.
  20. guitarnet70

guitarnet70 Member

Don't underestimate the cooling function :D