Peak Handmade / Boutique Pedal...? Has this gone too far?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by WPmedia, May 24, 2020.

1. johnsav

johnsav Member

I don't think that fits the TGP "blues lawyer" profile at all.
    More likely someone adventurous and whimsical.

2. Daniel Travis

Daniel Travis Supporting Member

With 8 grand? Good luck finding someone "adventurous and whimsical" outside of, idk, Elon musk.

Every person I've ever known personally who had the money to buy whatever they wanted has been creatively bankrupt, even if they aspired to be a "creative" type.

3. johnsav

johnsav Member

Not familiar with art collectors?
    I suppose you sneer in their direction as well.

4. Daniel Travis

Of gross post-modern "piss Christ" art? Yeah I sneer in their general direction.

Now, someone who collected classics? Now that's people I would love to know.

5. johnsav

johnsav Member

Ah, but would they want to know you ;)?
    Glad to see Andres Serrano's Immersion is still stuck in the craw of classicists after nearly forty years.

Porfirio, Trick Fall, JJO and 3 others like this.
  6. TonePilot

TonePilot Supporting Member

Haha. Neat. Pretty sure that’s Tim Pierce back there in the dark. Sure sounds like him.

7. Daniel Travis

I hope not. They ruined popular art for decades with their disgusting "well like, everything's subjective" claptrap.

If they (any of them, but ESPECIALLY Serrano) wanted to know me I would literally punch them in the face. First chance I got.

"Thanks for ruining everything and making beautiful, amazing art a rarity. Shitdick."

And just so you know, I'm not an old curmudgeon. I'm 35.

Post modernism just makes me physically ill. And I get violent when college professors and the like attempt to rationalize their BS.

8. johnsav

johnsav Member

Yeah, I wouldn't be introducing you to any collectors I know haha.
    I actually assumed you were the very age you posted.

GeorgeNada, JJO and Daniel Travis like this.
  9. Daniel Travis

Good.

There's a whole generation of people coming who are absolutely sick and tired of "well like, that's your opinion, maaaaaan" and "like, everything depends on your point of view, maaaaan."

10. BarryE

BarryE Member

let's close up our minds there. Good job.

GeorgeNada and AaeCee like this.
  11. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

So, is anyone else worried about the fact that there are those long, parallel runs of wire carrying signal? That's just asking for parasitic oscillations. A FF clone would be much better with all the parts close together, like on a nice terminal strip?

12. johnsav

johnsav Member

Haha, if you are 150 years old you'd have been raging against Les Demoiselles D'Avignon, 100 years old you would have been offended by Pollock's Blue Poles, at 35 you want to punch Andres Serrano in the face.
    It's not that negative opinions about esoteric subjects aren't common, because of course they are.
    It's just that they're largely forgotten.

13. Daniel Travis

I don't mean specifically art, @johnsav

I mean post-modernism itself. But including art.

johnsav likes this.
  14. drewl

drewl Member

Stupid me thought the market for amps and pedals was already saturated by 2000.

So aside from requests for builds I never bothered to expand.

15. johnsav

johnsav Member

I understand that.
    Post-modernism in art is a tough sell on aesthetics alone.
    But post-modernism absolutely had to happen as people began to distrust the idea that there was a consensus on human experience, and so each individual's experience became an example of billions of unique life experiences.
    Does that nudge Serrano off your hit list?

JJO likes this.
  16. Daniel Travis

No, it doesnt - although I think you make a decent point. It's just a very mild reprimand for something that needs complete and utter annihilation.

Post-modernism LITERALLY ruined art - for the vast majority of people. For LITERALLY EVERYONE except for the small number of turtleneck and beret-wearing jackoffs that make it.

Everyone is just sick and tired of STUPID, hyper-political art. We're tired of it in our movies, were tired of it in our music, and were tired of french post-modernists influencing our culture.

"ooooh its a banana peel super glued to the wall inside of the frame, how META, it represents the viewers perception of art itself blah blah"

"This mentrual blood and scrambled eggs crapped out of a womb represents the oppresive Cis-het-patriarchy and blah blah the supremacy of masculinity and blah blah the battle for fluidity"

"This is two glass plates with cows blood and semen, it represents the duality of life and death and blah blah"

What happened to BEAUTY? REALISM? IDEALISM? All, almost completely non-existent in anything you see in galleries, etc - unless you go to museums with classics.

It's. STUPID. It's AWFUL. And it NEEDS TO DIE.

johnsav likes this.
  17. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

18. johnsav

johnsav Member

Well, it sounds like your conviction could be enough to get a movement of your own going.
    "What happened to BEAUTY? REALISM? IDEALISM?" sounds like something you could work into a manifesto.
    I fully endorse the demise of Post-Modernism.
    You can't go backwards in time, though.

Daniel Travis likes this.
  19. Daniel Travis

"You cant go backwards in time" - ....unfortunately -_-

And trust me, I'm not the first to make the impassioned plea for universal human experience, "beauty, realism, idealism" in art.

It's a runaway train now. I only slightly fear the coming (over)correction. It's not only coming, it's coming like the aforementioned runaway freight train.

My conviction only serves me in my own music and lyrics - unfortunately, I have no talent in the visual arts.

johnsav likes this.
  20. 3waytie4last

3waytie4last Unfluencer Gold Supporting Member

LOL. Along comes hippieboy. :D

[​IMG]