• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Pearce amp info

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
These were made here in my city of Buffalo. Oddly, they were never very popular here, but I guess they were never very popular anywhere. I remember seeing a couple of them around, and I still see them pop up now and then in the local musician's flea. If you like it, probably not a bad thing to hold on to, their value seems to be slowly increasing.

How do you like the distortion? Many find it very unique. I can't remember it other than the fact that it was very different then the tube amp I had at the time.

Lex Luthier

These were made here in my city of Buffalo. Oddly, they were never very popular here, but I guess they were never very popular anywhere. I remember seeing a couple of them around, and I still see them pop up now and then in the local musician's flea. If you like it, probably not a bad thing to hold on to, their value seems to be slowly increasing.

How do you like the distortion? Many find it very unique. I can't remember it other than the fact that it was very different then the tube amp I had at the time.
I always regretted getting rid of my G1. I pulled my brothers G1 combo out of storage a while back and I had forgotten about how interesting they sounded if you dialed them in right, in a Holdsworth/Phil Keaggy fluid toned kind of way.

GtrWiz

I had a G2r and loved it. I loaned it to my brothers guitar player and, tragically, he died. I didn't feel right about calling his family and asking for my amp back, but I would like to find another one....

blastastick

They are great, and Phil Keaggy used them into 2 Mesa Thiele ported 1x12 cabs with EV 200 watters. Amazing tone. Have played 1, but never owned it. Very nice.

splatt

david torn / splattercell
Platinum Supporting Member
i still have at least one pearce amp;
unfortunately, it's back in ny at my home.

i loved that amp ---- as well,
pearce was my first interactive amp-endorsement;
i too a strong part in the "torn mod",
which became the G2/G2R, and eventually influenced
the design of the G3.

i noticed that travis' website, listed in the OP,
does not include the advert which andy summers & i
did for both pearce amps + klein electric guitars,
together.....

history's mysteries, i guess!

dt / spltrcl

Lex Luthier

i still have at least one pearce amp;
unfortunately, it's back in ny at my home.

i loved that amp ---- as well,
pearce was my first interactive amp-endorsement;
i too a strong part in the "torn mod",
which became the G2/G2R, and eventually influenced
the design of the G3.

i noticed that travis' website, listed in the OP,
does not include the advert which andy summers & i
did for both pearce amps + klein electric guitars,
together.....

history's mysteries, i guess!

dt / spltrcl
Was that the 1.5 and 1.7 mods? BTW, I think I remember that ad. I had a G2R for while, too.

Dajbro

Silver Supporting Member
I still have and play through my G2r. It was my main amp for a long time until the Sig X recently took that role.

To this day the Ch. 1 distortion is one of my favorite sounds for fluid, legato playing. It's a thing of beauty.

rwe333

Silver Supporting Member
I was a big fan and played them for years - first a G1, then a G2r... Was gonna pick up a G3, then they went under... Dan Pearce was/is a good man.
In addition to Torn and Summers, other notable users included Allan Holdsworth, Ronnie Montrose, Mick Goodrick, and (still) Mike Stern.

anoobis

I had a Pearce back in '91. Cool amp but it just did not have the dynamics of my tube amps at that time. Still, it had a killer crunch and nice lead tones. Great SS amp. Best ever high gain SS, IMO.

sfarnell

Silver Supporting Member
I had a Pearce back in '91. Cool amp but it just did not have the dynamics of my tube amps at that time. Still, it had a killer crunch and nice lead tones. Great SS amp. Best ever high gain SS, IMO.
I have an oak Pearce 1X12 cab that is ported and looks like a Dumble cab. It came loaded with an EVM-12L and has a huge sound.

What happened to Pearce?

rwe333

Silver Supporting Member
What happened to Pearce?
To paraphrase Dan, venture capital powers-that-be (and debt) basically caught up w/ 'em, i.e., a move to direct sales didn't pan out, etc. Dan moved on to ART, not sure what he's doing now...

Lex Luthier

Steve Khan used them for some time, too.

I remember back around 1986 or so, the closest Pearce dealer was 300 miles away. My brother and I took a road trip to check them out and ended up buying.

doralin

I still use my G2r

Best clean sounds in my opinion and a distortion channel that reminds me of Mesa's Dual Recto (*reminds me*).

Ethereal. The fact I managed to pick a near mint one up down here in AU for AU$700 that came serviced with the ribbon replacement by a noteworthy amp builder (tim at labsystems) AND also 240v power rating meant that Someone up there must be looking out for me.

I'll be bringing this to my grave.

fyrwyr

Last I heard Dan was working for one of the Studio rack gear companies, I forgot the name but they are well known.

I have his bass preamp now, the BC1 and really dig it;)

Strung Up

Thought it was at ART, but that was 5-6 years ago.

Great amps. Loved the post-OD tone stack w/ semi-parametric mids - brilliant tone-shaping.

Gigged a G2R for a while on the clean channel for jazz gigs, and got numerous compliments on my tone (with non-standard guitars) from horn guys. The Holdsworth aficionados seem to prefer the G1.

Moat

Anywhere to get schematics for these (G2r)? I've searched far and wide, only to come up empty-handed.

I still have mine, bought new around '90 (?) - probably near 1000 gigs, with nary a whimper. I'll probably never part with it - it's an excellent clean, powerful, reliable and flexible platform for pedals/effects. Lacks some fullness and sparkle of a good tube amp... but still can be "fat", and the treble cuts thru a dense stage mix in a satisfying way. And amazingly consistent tone, from night to night/room to room!

That said - and it's probably just my particular G2r - I never bonded with the dirty channel. Flat, transistory/papery... like a very mediocre TS'ish pedal. About as far from a Holdsworth tone imaginable, IMO! But that's OK - as quality OD pedals/preamps can sound excellent thru it's cleaner side(s). And the onboard Alesis effects sound very good/useable, too.

A real workhorse of an amp, for sure!

I loved my G2R.. I've had 5 of them.. but dont have any now. I'd love to find another nice G2R or a G3 if I could find one for a decent price.

You know, Reb Beach used a Pearce during the Winger days for some of his clean tones in the studio

Anyone got one for sale?

Trending Topics