• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Pearce vs Pritchard vs Roland Cube amps

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
I think recent Vypyr stuff is pretty impressive in a number of ways. I don't know to what extent (or if) the core design has changed, or if it is just clever repackaging. However, I also like a lot of the sounds that my red-stripe generation Transformer delivers, and my favorite "models" are based on Peavey's own amps. I think it's purely as simple as personal preference.

Most amps have a signature sound, including Pritchard Amps. To my ears, my Pritchard literally does not have a bad sound in it. But, all versatility aside, if someone doesn't like the core sound, then there is nothing that will make the amp appeal to them.
I agree with you Ben...The core sound is the key to liking the amp or not...That being said, the Pritchard really has some great sounds in it...as you said...not a bad tone anywhere...Being a lead guitarist, the Pritchard was great at solo tones...The Pearce excelled at clean tones.....The Roland didn't do anything very well for me..

bettset

heck yeah. i'll probably never see a pearce, so why not. the youtube vids don't really showcase it well. i'm always up to see who may have found something else to compete, although it's not about competing. great tones is just that. actually, my estoc sounds best through my 2x12 jbl cab--open back. the tunnel back works best for recording. i'm hoping to have a 4-5 tune cd done by april to get posted--it'll be all pritchard--i'll use the m--l, & f channel for most of it. i put it under a large desk, & with all the wood around it, the sound reflects real well & we get it all. just add a touch of delay afterwards. :munch

dmgcaster

Very nice demo! You did a good job capturing several different tonal characteristics from amp, cab and guitar. So, those were all Pearce? If so...beautimus!

I've always had a soft spot for solid state amps. I loved my old Roland Jazz/Chorus 120 that I played through the 80's. I had one of the older ones that still had the fuse in the back and I thought it had the greatest clean tones!

However it couldn't hold a candle to my Pritchard Sword of Satori 1/15 TB. Man! I wish I would have had this amp years ago! I've had my Sword about a year now and I keep stumbling into pockets or dimentions of tone that just blow me away! This may be the last amp I buy...as arthritis and carpel tunnel are stealing my meager skills...but I'll play 'til I can't play no more!

I've said it before...Pritchard Amps respond to pick dynamics in a way that should be very familiar to tube amp fans. I'm not going to make any claims that it sounds better or, just like this or that tube amp. But I will say, without doubt or hesitation that Eric Pritchard is a genius and his Amps simply, flat-out...KICK ASS! Any gear lover needs to stow away any preconcieved notions about SS v.s. tubes and play one of these fine machines! You will only be doing yourself a favor!

On top of that Eric is just a real, and aproachable guy who will answer questions about his amps and electronics and is a joy to deal with. He gave me an extra month on the trail period to make up my mind on the Sword and, had I decided it wasn't what I was looking for Eric would have refunded my money without a complaint. That, and the gear sold me.

When you speak to Eric, you will know you're talking to a rocket scientist though. He'll be talking his electronics craft and I'll be asking him to dumb it down for me, i.e...."So...does that mean I'll have bitchin' tone dude?"

Yes..yes..the most "bitchin'" ever!

dmgcaster

I want to buy a Sword Combo in the near future. Do you have samples of yours?
I'm sorry to say that I'm a tech-tard. I can't even figure out how to upload a picture of my amp...which is sweet by the way, as it has a burgundy/ox blood toltex cover and a matching grill cloth! I like the green toltex that Eric offers but the red is just...hotter!

After listening to your demo, you might like the Gold Estoc better as it has more modern tones as well as the vintage...and more control over the volume. Hell, If I had to do it all over again I'd buy the Estoc myself!

Oh, by the way, if anyone is concidering buying a Pritchard: When I bought mine, Eric sent me a stack of post-cards worth one hundred dollars off of your amp choice. I know, its not all that much compaired to the overall purchase price but, something is better than nothing and it should cover the shipping costs at the very least. (Hey! It's a hundred bucks!) Anyway, just let me know and I'll mail one to ya! Whomever you may be!
-David

Ben Furman

Silver Supporting Member
I like my green combo... but I think he'd sell more if burgundy/wine was the standard color.... The cane grille is another aesthetic that works for me but not for most guitarists, I think.

The only downside to the Estoc is that you lose the "V" (Vox) and "L" (Bogner) voices on the vintage (a.k.a. non-master volume) channel, which is to their detriment.

I would like to see a simplified "Estoc Lite" (need a new name for a sharp poking thing) with M, F, V, and L on both channels.

JohnSS

They have continued to develop by adding different eq curves, switching resonance, and a few different features. People try a Bandit for 15 seconds in a store and say "Yep, sounds like a Peavey clean and loud" without spending time to understand them. Sure, it's capable of these tones but the Bandit's clean channel functions very much like a non master volume tube amp and begins to compress around 3 on the dial and begins clipping at around 4 to 5 on the dial depending on guitar output. You can then at the amount of "sag" using the resonance control (tight, medium, loose creating a sorta multi-band compression clamping down tighter on the lows than the highs) or the channel's voicing (vintage, classic, modern) to shape the tone in a multitude of ways. That being said, it doesn't come anywhere near the cranked saggy goodness of an old tweed Fender, but than again most modern tube amps don't either especially at the Bandit's price point.

I'm not going to promise the Bandit can compete with multi thousand dollar "boutique" solid state amps (never played them), but the Transtube design is a very innovative and good sounding circuit which just doesn't get the credit it deserves.
Will's statement is very accurate. I own both a Peavey Bandit 65 from the 80's and a relatively recent Transtube Blazer 158. The Blazer certainly has more tubelike characteristics, and sounds similar to a SF Deluxe. The Bandit 65 has the older Peavey saturation circuit, which nevertheless has a great clean and overdriven sound. Not necessarily as tubelike, but very musical and preferable, for my tastes, over the Roland Cube sound, which is excellent in its own way.

dmgcaster

I would like to see a simplified "Estoc Lite" (need a new name for a sharp poking thing) with M, F, V, and L on both channels.
Yes! I would love this also! As a matter of fact I was just talking to Eric about changing the one of the voices on the bottom, fixed-boost channel to a "V" voice.

-David

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
I like my green combo... but I think he'd sell more if burgundy/wine was the standard color.... The cane grille is another aesthetic that works for me but not for most guitarists, I think.

The only downside to the Estoc is that you lose the "V" (Vox) and "L" (Bogner) voices on the vintage (a.k.a. non-master volume) channel, which is to their detriment.

great idea...:cool: I do think the Burgundy color is a bit passehh....maybe black!!!

Ben Furman

Silver Supporting Member
Very nice demoes, Sethian. Very smooth overdrive. The Pritchard will sound different. Better or worse is your call to make.

ekp

Nope, the amps carrying Pritchard brand appeared in 2002. But even before that Pritchard was in the business.

Deja Vu produced at least two guitar amplifiers in the early/mid 1990's, 3-channel rack-mount amp with plug-in preamp modules - titled "AMP-11" - was presented at 1994 NAMM show and there was also at least one single channel vintage-style-amp-inspired combo titled "Black Tweed".

As far as I know, they were in commercial production, not just prototypes.

I don't know if the company's product range also included high-end audio products and microphone preamps.

Basically, very little information of the whole Deja Vu Audio deal can be found which is kinda odd considering the amount of talk about other Pritchard-related products.
I never sold a Deja Vu Audio amp. Besides they just did not have the right stuff in the output stage.... Eric

The couple times I have emailed Pritchard... Eric has responded quickly with exactly the info I asked for. Really good customer service. I still want to grab one of these amps someday... I'm just a little deep in the purchases right now with a recent Bogner, Fractal & James Trussart... so I need to hold off for a bit

teemuk

If you going to compare Pearce and Roland don't forget the Pearce-designed A.R.T. DST-series hybrid amps - which basically took things one step further. ...Or Roland's GA-series amps, which I think were a way better product than the JC-series; though they lacked the chorus/tremolo they compensated it with a graphic EQ and a really good overdrive tone, which basically expanded even to 1980's high-gain metal tones territory. Quite an achievement from an amp made in the late 1970's.

LJOHNS

I don't know how it compares but I have a Roland BC-60 (the older model that is discontinued) and it sounds good for what it is. I still like tubes better but I picked up BC-60 in mint condition for a little over $200 and it makes a great backup.

csweldon

wonder why there aren't more Pritchards floating around? maybe they are so good that no one wants to sell theirs.
I love mine. Doesn't feel as light as I thought it would, but other than that delivers everything Erik said it would. Great, consistent, tube tone. Without the tubes! I was even able to get my favorite tones from my Fuchs, and that's a definite plus! I'm never selling mine.

carltonh

I got mine in 2003, and quickly lost my amplifier G.A.S. So I dropped off this forum other than a few times a year. Still occasionally have pedal GAS, and I also have an Ethos, and haven't dusted off my old tube amps in a good while. Unless anything has changed, Pritchard only selling direct, and having a website with the last news item from 9 years ago tends to keep this a small scale hobby for him, at most.

Ben Furman

Silver Supporting Member
I would estimate less than 100 have been built. The gear snobs who drop $4k on tube amps and/or Fractal rigs won't buy an analog SS combo for $2k. Without a lot people buying, hyping, and flipping there's not a lot of opportunity for leftovers, eh?

bettset

i've had my gold sabre since june 2004. eric wasn't kidding when he put the engraving on the back that says "soul candy". i haven't talked to him in years now. yeah the website should be updated but he has bigger things business wise. i figure he still does cnc equipment or something similar. his patents should run out soon. we'll see what happens to amps especially ss amps after that :munch

Trending Topics

Top Bottom